[#PROTOSHI] Prototyping competition - 8 March 2020

Comments

• Pierre said:
    I'm thinking of trying a Multiplayer game.
    I've only tried this once before using Unet and it was... it was pretty crap.
    So I'm going to try MULTIPLAYER again using PHOTON this time.

If you are also keen on this then try the following link.
    https://raywenderlich.com/1142814-introduction-to-multiplayer-games-with-unity-and-photon

This tutorial assumes that you are familiar with unity.
    The tutorial takes about 1 to 2 hours to complete and tells you everything you need to get started.
    Here's hoping the lag from South Africa won't be too bad.
    @Pierre I've done quite a bit of research into the theory of networking simulations. If you get stuck on something just give me a shout. While I might not be fully engrossed in the technical details, I might just have some insight if you are getting stuck on some problem.

Thanked by 1Pierre
  • I have an idea brewing, but I'm unsure if it still fits within the 3rd Person camera type. How loose can we define a 3rd person camera?
  • edited
    Cyberwiz said:
    I have an idea brewing, but I'm unsure if it still fits within the 3rd Person camera type. How loose can we define a 3rd person camera?
    The truth is that a first person camera works almost exactly the same as a 3rd person camera.

For 3rd person....
    As long as the camera follows and shows the player character on screen with the intention of allowing the player to see their charcater/avatar's position in the world relative to the surroundings.
    Also you need to be able to turn the view around and see the world in different directions.
    On this last point, we can make exceptions for racing/vehicle games since your restricted direction of view is often intentional in those cases... to allow the player to focus on steering the vehicle and avoid obstacles and other vehicles...

Compare this to other cameras...
    2d side scrollers shows us a cross section of the world and you can't turn the view at all.
    Top down games only lets you look down and you can't see the the horizon.
    First person views are similar but the big difference is the closeness/intimacy. Your view in fps is limited to what your character/avatar can actually see, so you can't see your immediate surroundings unless you turn around. And you will never see the back of your "head"
  • Keep in mind that the point of the different cameras is to prompt developers to make games that may be outside of their comfort zone. It is a challenge and opportunity to learn and explore the benefits and restrictions of a different point of view. Of course everybody has their favorite and participants aren't forced to participate in all 4 challenges...
    At the same time, nobody will stop you from completely ignoring the theme/format... but then I would prefer that you simply make the game and share it independently on the forum as your own unrelated game.
  • haha I was basically thinking something like a remote car racing game, where the viewpoint is from a third person perspective of car. The main intent was more to break the mold of third person a little and do something interesting with it.

I do need to start with something today hopefully, so then I'll start seeing what I can do in terms of gameplay and how my camera setup would be used in conjunction with that. I don't want to just make a racing game where the camera follow because it's been done a lot. I'm not even sold on my rc racing game idea yet :'-D I'm just toying around with camera designs on paper to see if it might lead to a interesting game.
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Not all third person games allow you to control the camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_camera_system
    Thanked by 2Pierre ashashza
  • watman said:
    Not all third person games allow you to control the camera.
    Thanks for pointing that out. After some consideration, I will consider "Fixed camera systems" as part of 3rd person perspective... But within reason. For instance, a single fixed camera above the player (facing down) is still a top down camera.
    Implementing a dynamic fixed camera system that isn't annoying is notoriously difficult but if somebody wanted to give it a shot, I won't stop them.
  • Cyberwiz said:
    haha I was basically thinking something like a remote car racing game, where the viewpoint is from a third person perspective of car.
    That sounds interesting. Your setup is still in line with a typical car racing game... As long as the viewpoint isn't strictly facing down from above like a topdown, then I feel like it qualifies.

• Man, you guys are crushing it with the prototypes! :D
    Thanked by 2Pierre VMASTER
  • Tuism said:
    Man, you guys are crushing it with the prototypes! :D
    Thanks! The participation has been great and I know how draining it is so I have mad respect for all the peeps that are uploading. Keep at it guys!
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • The internet is really sluggish today and it has made a big impact on my productivity. I may not be able finish thismprototype, but I will upload what I've got anyway. It is a fine little prototype on its own with some fudgy physics and grappling hooks and so forth.

I still have to figure out a fun offensive mechanic since the current yoyo ball and chain is not very comfortable, and I need to build a CTF game and rules and UI and sound and oh my god! Lots of work.
  • I just uploaded this weeks entry, due to a lot of chaos around the Lockdown and properly getting myself set up to work from home I only managed to make a very rough prototype, but I at least managed to get the ghost mechanic in and I learnt Unity's new Cinemachine camera system to make the third person camera which I shall count as a win.
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • krazysh01 said:
    I managed to make a very rough prototype-- --and I learnt Unity's new Cinemachine camera system to make the third person camera which I shall count as a win.
    That's what this month is all about. Great Job!

• Extension.

Hi all. Due to the internet cable issue in south africa, and the additional strain of internet usage during lockdown, I am extending the deadline for uploads until 8:00 AM tomorrow morning.
  • Pierre said:
    I am extending the deadline for uploads until 8:00 AM tomorrow morning.
    Will the reveal for week 4 also only come tomorrow or will that still be revealed tonight?
  • krazysh01 said:
    Will the reveal for week 4 also only come tomorrow or will that still be revealed tonight?
    The 4th theme will be revealed at 9:00 pm as usual. (Internet permitting, It might be slightly delayed.)

WEEK 4's THEME!
    You may use one or more of the Themes above.
    Submissions are due by 5 April MIDNIGHT.

SUBMISSONS
    First upload your game on https://itch.io/
    Then Create a new Discussion at makegamessa.com
    Use the following subject line...
    [#PROTOSHI] 4 ADVANCED NameOfYourGame
    or
    [#PROTOSHI] 4 BEGINNER NameOfYourGame

Notes from the host:
    Last chance to make LOCKDOWN a productive choice. Join us for the 4th and final challenge!
    ALSO : If you want to change your category on ALL your submissions, then now is the time to do so... when WEEK 4 is over, then all categories will be LOCKED in, and it looks like we only have one contender in the BEGINNER category.
    ProtoShi_Week4_Small.jpg
    672 x 465 - 89K
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • edited
    If you'd like to help to get started... here are a few resources that I found helpful.

FREE Special and Sound FX for MuzzleFlashes, BulletImpact, Gunshot sounds.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/audio/sound-fx/weapons/weapons-of-choice-free-101807
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/war-fx-5669

How to make Movement and Shooting...
    https://youtu.be/_QajrabyTJc
    https://youtu.be/THnivyG0Mvo

The resources above are all fairly decent but not perfect. As with everything, you may need to put in some love and care to make it ideal.

So far I used the above to make a decent FPS controller and modelled two guns with shooting, sound and impact fx etc.
    I also have an my own animated zombie Pikachu monster...
    I don't have any game rules/logic/AI in place yet.... and honestly, I'm not sure where to go from here...I have some vague ideas but nothing that screams WOW! :/

• Just uploaded my last entry, it is far from my best work but I'll be more prepped for it next time XD

Thank you for this opportunity, had a great time making these games and playing everyone else's games. I'll have to run back and check if I missed any.Well Done to everyone so far and Good Luck!
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Same here! Just finished.

Thanks for the opportunity. This was a lot of fun. :)

https://makegamessa.com/discussion/5933/protoshi-4-advanced-bob-and-the-cheeky-coin#latest
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Just finished my entry.
    Really enjoyed the competition thanks for the opportunity, my last 2 entries were much more prototypes than games but hey protoshi :P

http://makegamessa.com/discussion/5934/protoshi-4-advanced-escape-darkness#latest
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Well done guys!
    This is by far the biggest challenge I have personally ever made for myself. I am still pushing to finish my own project (at least to a reasonable degree) but I am very proud, pleased and happy for all the effort that you guys have put in. We certainly have enough entries to run a competition, so starting tomorrow, you can rate and score the various submissions.
    I will certainly take public opinion into account when making a decision.
    Thanked by 2VMASTER Tuism
  • Pierre said:
    We certainly have enough entries to run a competition, so starting tomorrow, you can rate and score the various submissions.
    I will certainly take public opinion into account when making a decision.
    How does the voting work? Rules? Is it everyone who competed or everyone on Make Games SA?
    I thought it was a competition already lol. What's changed with the number of entries?

Will you also please drop an example of a rate and score for a submission. Never done this before.
  • edited

How does the voting work? Rules? Is it everyone who competed or everyone on Make Games SA?
    I thought it was a competition already lol. What's changed with the number of entries?
    Will you also please drop an example of a rate and score for a submission. Never done this before.
    It was mentioned early in the planning stage, that if we Don't get enough participation, we will cancel the prize and make a donation to SPCA instead. But there are plenty of entries and we will definitely do the competition.

I will post screenshots of the voting process once the option is available. There is plenty of time. Weeks, in fact. A whole month. :)

• VOTE and RATE the entries here...
    https://itch.io/jam/protoshi/entries

Click on an entry.
    Place your stars.
    and click SAVE RATING.
    (Please don't rate your own games.)
    Rating.JPG
    406 x 412 - 27K
  • Shots Pierre!

All my ratings are in. Been playing the games as they've come out.

It doesn't allow you to rate your own game if you're logged in with your submissions account.
    But yeah, lets not be lame.
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • Thanks! I think this kind of feedback amongst developers is very helpful and constructive. It gives devs an idea of where they went right/wrong, or how they can improve and a lot of time it is just a healthy gentle confirmation of known problems.
  • Cool, I'm keen play & rate on itch over the next few days.

@Pierre, just wanted to say a sincere thanks for putting the energy & doing such a good job hosting this. I'm sure it's a non-trivial amount of work (not to mentioned jamming on your own entries too!).

I felt like the themes & structure were quite thoughtful and really appreciated your enthusiasm and participation along the way.
  • Ya'll smashed it! Congrats! <3

So I was thinking, it would be cool if you guys want to talk some of the games you made during the meetup, which would entail making a PDF and presenting it like that, OR doing a screenshare and showing the game from there. Or a straight-up pre-recorded video works too.

If you're interested in showing, let me know and we'll figure it out :)
  • Tuism said:
    Ya'll smashed it! Congrats! <3

So I was thinking, it would be cool if you guys want to talk some of the games you made during the meetup, which would entail making a PDF and presenting it like that, OR doing a screenshare and showing the game from there. Or a straight-up pre-recorded video works too.

If you're interested in showing, let me know and we'll figure it out :)
    I'd be willing to show mine off, I'd most likely be in VR though so will have to figure that out :P
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • edited
    Tuism said:
    So I was thinking, it would be cool if you guys want to talk some of the games you made during the meetup
    I would like to chat next month in May, where I will also show a video of the finalist's entries and also announce the winners.

ALSO.
    I incorrectly mentioned in individual posts, that 5 April is the date of announcement for winners.
    The correct date is 5 MAY. Next month's meetup. I have corrected this in the various individual posts. Apologies for any confusion.
    Thanked by 1VMASTER
  • krazysh01 said:

I'd be willing to show mine off, I'd most likely be in VR though so will have to figure that out :P
    Rad, from in VR the best solution is probably doing a PDF or a video. Or just go for desktop + screenshare/webcam share. Let me know if you want me to hang out in the room with you to show you some stuff.