Unknown - Pixel Art Adventure

edited in Projects
So don't wanna post this in the help section I started here.
http://makegamessa.com/discussion/5667/shader-help-shader-2nd-texture-offset-and-tilliing-not-working#latest

This is what I have been working on.

Please test it here

https://deon-smit.itch.io/unknown

While learning shaders in Unity I came across this demo of a game itch.io

Loving the look I just had to incorporate this with my water shader.

With pixelartisland permitting me to reference the look and character I started to develop what I called Unknown

The story for the game is still some unknown to me but so far I have a start.

You wake up not knowing who you are and how you got there. Follow this journey to discover the fantastic word filled with magic and suspense.

Discovery yourself by how the world will react to the moral choices you make.

This is still early in prototype stages. Still trying out some mechanics.

Please leave your comments and suggestions below

No Sound yet Sorry!

Controls are a bit of a mess I feel at this stage.....

Controls :

Move Left - A
Move Right- D
Draw Sword - Q ( if Available )
Lock facing Direction - R
Roll Forward - E
Roll Backward - When in Lock Direction , Walk Backwards + E
Attacks Low- L
Attack Middle - K
Attack High - I
Interact - Z

Comments

• Also
    The clouds doesn't look great at all.

Still early stages
  • Very pretty style!
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • I just gave the game a go and I really loved it. Only advice I have is that the placement of the high attack feels weird, considering we go from L, K, and then I.
    It feels like its better suited for the J key.
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • Love the look of the water and the game in general.
    Did a quick test and when you lock your facing direction and try to roll backwards - the character sort of slides backwards and all animations stop until you release the movement keys. At this point character rolls forward.
    If you get into this state the attack animations still work and until you stop pressing the keys, then the character rolls forward again.

Other than that everything worked nicely. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more!
    (Running in Chrome on a Mac btw, if that helps)
    Thanked by 1ashashza
  • @TheCorinthian Thank for the feedback. Will look into that.

Also thank you testing it.
    Thanked by 1TheCorinthian
  • I tried this too. Super pretty, would love to see more.
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • Guys

I need your feedback on the opening scene look please.

I am Changing this.

to This

Some sun shaft I don't like to much

Do you guys like the orange look better? Or should I revert and keep the look for another scene?

• I think I like the old colours better but it really depends on what the game becomes. Colour sets mood and tone and builds an expectation in the gamer as to what it to come. Is it primarily a bleak horror adventure (which is what I'm hoping for, as an aside)? Then the pinks. Is it primarily going to be hack and slashy action? Then the oranges (or reds, actually).

Without knowing - because you don't know - I would say save the oranges for a crucial action scene.
  • By the way I agree about the placement of the high-attack key. J makes more sense.
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • watman said:
    I think I like the old colours better but it really depends on what the game becomes. Colour sets mood and tone and builds an expectation in the gamer as to what it to come. Is it primarily a bleak horror adventure (which is what I'm hoping for, as an aside)? Then the pinks. Is it primarily going to be hack and slashy action? Then the oranges (or reds, actually).

Without knowing - because you don't know - I would say save the oranges for a crucial action scene.
    Yup not a hack and slash. It gonna be an adventure , bleak horror type.

Thanks for the input
  • edited
    Yeah went back to old color for starting scene. Also tweaked the colors a bit.... Looks better.

Added some stars

• That's great.
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • edited
    Working on a little effect for object / enemies being destroyed. This is gonna cut a lot of time not drawing death animations etc.

Here is how it looks. Sprite rendering to particles.

• That looks pretty awesome.
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • Working on some Spear Throwing action! Man I love Pyxel Editor. best $10 spend!

• Guys.

I added some perspective to the shader. Does it work or is it to much. Would love your feedback.

No perspective.

Perspective ( Excuse the Water object's shadows that don't match Exactly anymore cause of it.

Thanked by 2watman Lesedi_Mosadi
  • Every bit of technology that you add reduces the game's essence of being, at its core, a pixel-art-based game. If that's ok with you then that's ok (although I would reduce the perspective level quite a bit). It's really fascinating to me to see what you're experimenting with but at the same time I'm a pixel art purist so it puts me in conflict. That's my issue, however.

My bigger concern is that at the moment you seem to be stuck on messing around with cool technology experiments. I want to see gameplay and gameplay testing. I want to see you working on the story.

Are you stumbling on the story? Do you need help?
  • watman said:
    Every bit of technology that you add reduces the game's essence of being, at its core, a pixel-art-based game. If that's ok with you then that's ok (although I would reduce the perspective level quite a bit). It's really fascinating to me to see what you're experimenting with but at the same time I'm a pixel art purist so it puts me in conflict. That's my issue, however.

My bigger concern is that at the moment you seem to be stuck on messing around with cool technology experiments. I want to see gameplay and gameplay testing. I want to see you working on the story.

Are you stumbling on the story? Do you need help?
    Yeah. Got some basics for a story but thats it. First 5 scenes.... nothing for the big picture.

Working on the spear throwing for scene 3. Then scene 4 is to enter the town. Scene 5 aka Chapter2. might have a shocker depending your actions in scene 4. My story stops there.

• Created the first Enemy. Basic Idle pose. Need to change the sword somewhat.

So this turned into.......

Thanked by 2Ross Lesedi_Mosadi