Welcome

Comments

• Hi @thatmeganchick and welcome to the forums. So great to have some more tabletop enthusiast here :D Also PvZ high fives!

@kevinh I'll get your cape size from @LexAquillia ;) Really appreciate the amazing work you guys do ;)
  • Hi Everyone!
    my name is kyle van wyk and im a freelance artist based in cape town. i haven't had much experience in the game industry but im keen to learn and get involved in it which is why ive joined this forum. Ive worked on small projects for client work but that was purely illustration based. if anyone's interested you can see most of my work here http://guy-mandude.deviantart.com/gallery/ Thanks for reading!
  • @Guy_man_dude Welcome to the forums! Your work looks awesome! I think you will adapt easily to game concept art especially.
    Thanked by 1Guy_man_dude
  • @vince, thanks so much man! i hope so im eager to learn the ins and outs.
  • Hi all,

I'm Dirk, a long time Warcraft 3 mapmaker and recent game dev. I've just released my first game Thrusty Ball, a simple but challenging one-button platformer for Android and web. Hoping to transition from my current line of work into full-time indie development. I've been an on-and-off lurker on these forums for some time, but with my first game finally released I decided to join the local online community and maybe even attend some meetups (Cape Town).
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Welcome guys! Hope it all is great for you! Everyone is showing good things to us!
  • Hello!

My name is Pieter Loubser and I wrote an Android game the last year called Farm Wars. (It was actually one of the top games on Mxit for 4 years and now I ported it over to Android.) "Build it and they will come" is the worse advice ever. Haha. I am about to start marketing the game to actually make the game profitable, which is not as easy as it sounds..

Please check the game out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=za.co.inventit.farmwars

Thanked by 2Elyaradine Weeabro
  • Hey everyone I’m Rousseau a C# coder from Benoni. I started game dev as a hobby after hours in Unity and everything I know is pretty much self-taught. My very first game CLASH has recently been released on steam. If anyone needs any help or advice drop me 'n message.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/416040/

Thanked by 2Elyaradine Weeabro
  • edited
    Hi all

I'm Eddie and I work in the game localization industry. I'm formerly from Edenvale though I'm all the way over in Asia now. Mainly just wanted to pop in and show some love for the SA game dev scene. If anyone wants information or advice on localization or breaking into the Asian game market just drop me a message. And don't worry, I won't try to sell you anything unless you ask me to :D
    Thanked by 3pieter Sash dammit
  • edited
    Hi everyone!

Very recently I decided I'd try this "making games" thing ;) So far my character can run, walk, and just stand there.

I'm a very accomplished VFX artist so the only thing I can be confident about so far is that my game will LOOK good. I decided that I want to do this first one 100% on my own. And I mean 100%! Weather I achieve anything is another story.

So hello! And have a look at my throw together website: angrypostmangames.wordpress.com
  • edited
    I am Zaahir Ameer. I am a game developer at a small indie company called Egamea. I studied electrical engineering in the computer systems field. I have also done Web Development( node.js & php back end, javascript front end) industry and did some electronics to(raspberryPI2 and PicKit for micro controller driver software development). In April I will have 1 year software development experience of which 6 month's is game development.. I would love the opportunity to check out /visit the Bro force company called free lives or other indie companies.

My favourite language is Java. I plan on learning mobile software development and HTML 5 game development to make my own game. I would also like to make a flying drone.
    Thanked by 2Weeabro pieter
  • Hi there!

my name is Megan and I'm a Cape Town based Freelance artist. My main art focuses are creating interesting and believable characters and concept art. I've always been passionate about videogames and telling compelling stories. I've been doing digital art since I was 14 years old and have since dabbled in the marketing industry as a graphic designer - working on clients such as Predator (Acer), Pizza Hut, BetterLife, NAC and Fixodent at Saatchi & Saatchi - this unfortunately was not where my heart lies and since then I've been going full force with my digital art and doing freelance work on the side.

You can view my online portfolio here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/m_corbet
    but I also have an instagram where I upload regularly for my more casual work and practices: https://www.instagram.com/weeabro_art/
    I have a DeviantArt and Facebook page too but I don't upload there very regularly.

Let's work together and make games! :)
    Thanked by 2pieter dammit
  • @zaahir Welcome to the forums, Zaahir. That RaspberryPI2 work sounds cool, it gives you a set of tools not many developers have. If you would like to meet some of the people who made Broforce, I would strongly urge you to come to one of the Cape Town meetups when your in the area, there's often a few of them milling about ;)

@Weeabro Hi Megan, welcome. Love you Anime inspired style, do I see hints of Kuvshinov Ilya in there? Keep it up and come say hi at the meetups :)

@AngryPostman Good graphics can play a huge role in the initial appeal of a game. Game Jam teams are always fighting over the few artists hanging around.

@edishen1987 Sweet. Asia is a highly competitive market, but one the West rarely explores.

@nullpointer Congrats on your game's success, hope it continues doing well on Android :D
    Thanked by 1AngryPostman
  • WildCat said:
    de_dahsur3
    @WildCat, you brought many hours of fun to my life. I used to love that map!
    I did always hate the middle bank though and the way people could peek through.
    Thanked by 2edg3 WildCat
  • Sup all,

I'm a corporate .net dev by day and a games developer, designer and game content creator by night. Glad to see there is a community in SA dedicated to games development :)
    Thanked by 2edg3 roguecode
  • Hi everyone!

I'm new to game designing and currently learning to use Game Maker Studio. I am also learning how to do pixel art as I am terrible at all other art forms ^^

Other things I plan on doing are learning programming languages like Java and C++
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hey all.

My name is Bob, I'm a game design lecturer at vega jhb (specifically the art stream).

Although as much as I am trying to throw vega as a corp behind local community stuff, id like to use this site in a more personal capacity.

I'm a big fan of community and happy to be here =D
  • Welcome and good luck everyone!
    I am also learning how to do pixel art as I am terrible at all other art forms ^^
    Welcome, if you are up to it you can share the things you learned here on the forums for us. (personally I love to read up on pixel art related topics).
    Krohlm said:
    My name is Bob, I'm a game design lecturer at vega jhb (specifically the art stream).
    How are people feeling about your game design lessons? (I have debated needing some, will eventually choose what I do...)
  • edg3 said:

How are people feeling about your game design lessons? (I have debated needing some, will eventually choose what I do...)
    Haha, I'm not sure what you asking you here. If you curious to how students like my lectures?
    Well we cover content pretty quickly and I'm generally sarcastic and dry so if you asking if students like my lectures, then judging by attendance figures I'd say so.

If you asking about the degree?
    Response is very positive, we have a high intake so the interest is definitely there (I have to be careful of what I say because my students will probably read this).

Not to sound like an ad but we are planning on doing short courses later on. I'm trying to be careful not to use the forums as some kind of advertising space (in the way it wasn't intended), so please understand why I don't want to divulge too much.
  • Ah yes I was asking about the degree, thanks! (sorry for the slight confusion).
  • edited
    Hey all

I'm a game loving code geek that fell in love with GWBasic at 12 years of age, and then making game demos.
    I was involved with the SA game dev community when it was tiny, like 15 years ago - the days of I-Imagine.

Then I went down corporate rabbit hole, and I've gone and lost my soul.
    Please help me find my soul again! *whimper*

If anybody remembers me from 15 years ago, it'd be 10 years of therapy to say hello :)
    (Old nicks: PlaceboZA/Naartjie98/LiquidTruth/GuardianBunny)

I'm now a pretty awesome coder (Not cos I'm smart, but 'cos 20+ years will do that)
    Currently loving Clojure.

That's all :)
    Thanked by 3edg3 Elyaradine pieter
  • Happy days to all my name is Ivan I recently discovered this forum from our lecturer and have been reading up all discussion thread so i can to learn a thing or two. Initially I thought going in with a team is your best bet while that may be true as a student i need to polish up my portfolio. I aspire to become a storyteller and produce the quality of work equivalent to naughty dogs last of us or CD projekt Red Witcher franchise.

I'm busy now with a novel universe hoping to adapt it into an animated feature when i have the proper skills. I'm an extreme perfectionist when it comes to the quality of work i want to produce, i literally become my own worst enemy XD and don't settle for less in that regard but don't mind mixing things up here and there, I hope to attend next months game jam to meet some of you ( I love group projects the mindset and opinions learned are things of legends both hilariously and seriously :) )

:) If i had to pick where i would want to work it would be my own studio there are stories I've been working on for 4 years now or being a creative designer at one of the companies I'm still yet to learn about, but to get there requires alternate routes and routes i hope will be a joyful ride Hello again all! :)
    Thanked by 3pieter dammit edg3
  • Hi Naadir Buffkins 16
    Aspiring game designer
    Currently studying design at Peter Clarke school of arts
    School: Islamia college boys high
    Thanked by 2pieter edg3
  • Hi there, Im Damian Joorst, started teaching myself coding, graphic design, sound engineering etc. a few months ago, and just released my first mobile game Tree Hugger, to Google Play this past weekend. Teaching myself game development by actually making and releasing games, so any advice, info or help is always welcome.
    Thanked by 2pieter edg3
  • Hi everyone! I am a final year electronic engineering student and I am currently prototyping my very own 3D cyberpunk survival game in Unity3D. I am also working on a custom AI System (sorry, I hate to use words like 'Game Engine' or 'AI Engine') in Unity during my free time for self-enrichment . I hope to share and contribute with other aspiring game developers/designers on this forum.

Until Then.
    Code Red (Episode 1) (1).png
    1366 x 599 - 388K
    Biohazard.png
    1366 x 768 - 869K
    Thanked by 3edg3 pieter Elyaradine
  • Hi everyone, names' Aghmat currently an Honours student in computer science at UCT. Undergraduate degree was in computer science and games design. I primarily work with Unity and made my first mobile game. You can check out my past projects at my itch page - https://aghmat.itch.io/
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine pieter
  • Hi,

I am very new to the game design scene. I am working through some courses on my free time to get up to date with the technology and how things work. I have finally decided to pursue my dream as a gamedev.

I am hoping to release my first mobile game by the end of this month. I am almost done with it.Looking forward to the experience.
  • Thuso's the name. I'm here to game! I'm a young award winning Film & TV Screenwriter.I'm very interested in telling a story on a new platform. For me that platform is Indie Game Development. My first Crime Thriller/ Romance movie, Hard To Get (check out the awesome trailer here ) was recently licensed by Netflix USA and I'm currently working on a number of local shows. If you're interested in engaging your gamer audience with a compelling memorable story in your new awesome Indie Game concept, don't hesitate to PM me or to contact me (Details on my attached CV)!!! Thanks Makegamessa for this incredible forum. You've helped me dare to strive for something different ;-)
    pdf
    pdf
    TT Sibisi CV 2017 (1).pdf
  • Hi everyone! My name is Cai, and I've been to a couple of MGSA events but I haven't really been active in the community so far. I'm a programmer by trade, and for the last while I've been working more or less in isolation on a (probably definitely overly ambitious) project. I think it's high time I showed you guys what I've done so far, and hopefully get some feedback and advice. I'm looking forward to getting more involved in this awesome community!
  • Hey everyone, my name is Jarrod. Been lurking the forums for a little while now, and thought it is time to introduce myself.

I studied music, and then music production in Pretoria, from there, I attended the Vancouver Film School in Canada, focusing in Sound Design for Visual Media.

I am a Sound Designer, mostly working on short films and occasionally on games, but I would love to swap those two around and work a lot more on games.

I’ve worked on a few films, and some have done pretty well and won some awards at a few festivals around the world. These festivals include: Cannes, the Montreal World Film Festival and the NFFTY Film Festival in Seattle, among others. So I know my way around sound design, sound effects and foley pretty well.

Since coming back home to South Africa, between work and on days off, I’ve been teaching myself more and more about games. and I’ve pieced together 2 games, one on my own, one with a good friend of mine.

I am by no means a programmer, very far from it actually. But I love games that have a strong audio element (as I feel most games should) So I decided to try make some of my own.

If you would like to see those games, or see some of my sound work, you can see it on my website.

http://www.coopercreativeaudio.com/

Sound for games is under the game audio tab.
    Games I made are under game development tab.

If you like it and want to get in touch, please do. I look forward to making connections, meeting people in the local industry, taking part in game jams and hopefully doing game audio more full time.
  • <p>Hi I'm an aspiring software/game/web developer continuously trying to improve my<u> <b>Knowledge</b> </u> I'm novice in most of the programming languages I've learned so far But I feel this community is where i belong if I want to improve in those Departments</p>
    <a href="www.dictionarypictures" alt="Smile picture" type="smiling emoji"</a>
    //not a real link */

Thanks for having me LOL
  • Hi all! I'm Criss and I've just started on the journey of game development. I'll do my best to upload and share any projects that I've got going and am looking forward to leaning into the community more.

Kapow!
  • edited
    Hi, Im Richard Ramsbottom,

Been around for a while but forgot to post on this thread, and realised not everyone knows my handle or knows its me :P

Im a 3d freelance artist and game designer, currently working on POLYGOD (all artwork) and INFINITE DESOLATION (Lead Artist/Game Design). Also sometimes freelance at Triggerfish and did some work for Bandai Namco this year as well. But always looking for new challenges and ideas. Also involved in VR with the company SenseVirtual.
    Visited GDC and PaxEast this year as well for the first time, and was awesome!

Portfolio is here:
    https://iceblademush.myportfolio.com/
    Keen for any ideas, collaborations or paying freelance work! :)
  • Hey I'm Florian. I'm a web developer by day, and game developer by night. Game Maker 2 is my engine of choice. I also do 2d art and animations for my games.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hi, I am Lloyd Nicholson. I'm an enthusiastic gamer and I am really looking forward to joining this community. I've made two amateur games so far. I'm really excited to make more games in the future. I am currently a High School Teacher.
    Thanked by 2pieter Elyaradine
  • Hi. Zaid Mahomedy, a Mixed Reality solution provider and writer on www.immersiveauthority.com .
    Based in Johannesburg. I've hacked together a few sample games in Unity 3D to test capability, and I am looking for local freelance developers to assist me on some small gaming projects
  • Hey there! I'm Shari. Level designer and 3D artist and mad scientist at the Impossible Object. In the stages of releasing my baby Organosphere into the world. :) I enjoy puns and I'm passionate about creating things in Unity.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • yo, greeting mates! I'm Achiao, Chris Achiao. I'm a proud mixed race South African. My friends and I are Jerk of all trades however we specialize in video game design. My job and my studies are classified under governance services.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Hi, I'm a GAME DESIGNER who passionately dropped out of HIGH SCHOOL to begin making the the GAME that will top most games build in SOUTH AFRICA and other COUNTRIES for years to come, it took me 3 YEARS to make it Solid and Non-Competative that will recours like other AAA GAMES. MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!!!!, but this is the least I MUST DO....
  • MWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!...................
  • Hey, I'm Victor. I'm new to this community, I really enjoy experimenting with new game ideas and technology. If you want you can check out some of my games over on itch.io. Looking forward to getting to know more South African game devs.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hi! I'm Romy.

Quick Histroy: I am a Cape Town based artist. I work in animation, usually doing 3d modeling & texturing but I dabble in other departments now and then. Currently freelance, having worked at Black Ginger and Lung in the past. Outside of the animation industry I do a lot of art/illustration/design stuff and try to, generally, make pretty things.

Right now I am busy making my first game along with a few other talented individuals. And a lot of hope/stress/excitement/learning curves - they all seem to want to come along for the ride too. It's a long way off but we are updating our progress in this fb group, if anyone's interested: https://www.facebook.com/thefrejagame/
    So far its only artwork but we'll start posting some gameplay stuff in the coming months.

Thought now would be a good time to get better acquainted with the game dev community here! I'll make it to a meetup soon :)
  • Ahoy.

I'm Pieter, a filmmaker (writer, editor, director) from Jhb. I'm a raw beginner in game-making, but embarking on my first game with a developer buddy.

Looking forward to meeting the people here and pestering them for advice. :D

• Hihi
    I'm John
    When I'm not writing, I'm working on a MMO project.
    Nice to meet you all.
  • edited
    Hi I'm Thomas, shy, but open to all types of human ;P

Animator fresh out of college, aspiring game developer/designer based in Cape Town. currently unemployed, learning various software. I'm looking for like minded people to join my discord game dev server to work on projects part time at least. Anyone willing to help teach me the ways of Game Development hit me up please!

looking forward to our next MGSA meeting <3
    P.S. Thanks for the opportunity me Lords and Ladies!
  • Hi Guys!

Frank here. Posted yesterday about our game Freja and the False Prophecy, realised I never properly introduced myself here. Plus my account was registered in 2015 so consider me a long time lurker... a friendly lurker though, I don't bite! As for background, studied Fine Art, taught English in Korea for a stint, came back and got into VJing, did that for many years, went back to school to study animation, and currently work in the film industry as a VFX artist specializing in Houdini. Attended a bunch of game jams in the past, have a passion for VR (and Rift that I love dearly!), and am currently working on Freja and the Flase Prophecy with the small team at Unsigned Double. Thanks!
  • Hello Everyone

I'm Geo. And I really appreciate what these forums are doing. I'm a complete amateur regarding game design, but here's the gist of my story.

I am currently a CNC machinist, project manager and IT guy at a smallish company that makes specialized window displays and all types of everything. Before that, a basic mould maker, chocolatier, video shop manager (before it went to hell) and video editor (studied video/tv production).

Recently I've more stopped playing games, but I more read articles and watch documentaries about game creation - it fascinates me. I've always wanted to learn music, art, 3D modelling and coding. One day it hit me that making a games would force me into learning that.

So I'm learning Unity (C#), Aseprite, Blender and FL Studio at my own pace.
    Hoping to get into some game jams or whatever with you guys. Cheers!

Thanked by 1alwynd
  • Hi! I'm Chad, a life-long gamer and writer, and first time game-making attemptee.
  • Better late than never? Hi i'm Shaun, i like trying to make games through Unity in my spare time, entered this years Game Jam with @Wes_Matthews. This is the closest thing to a completed project i've ever worked on, our beautiful buggy baby : )
  • Hi all, I'm Toni. I am an actress, singer and stunt woman with around three years of Voice Acting experience (dubbing, animation, corporate, narration...). I met a few of you this weekend at the Game Jam 2018 in Cape Town, I joined an awesome team helping with writing and providing the voice for a character in the game.

I've joined up here with the hope that I can learn more about our awesome local gaming industry and to see what someone like me could do to help make your concepts come to life. I'm a giant nerd who swoons over people like Travis Willingham and Matthew Mercer with dreams of voicing some epic characters. There seems to be a gap in the SA market that we can maybe develop, looking forward to seeing what SA has to offer :D

x