Bro Force (prototype)

Comments

• It's time now for our weekly bug report :p
    *imageQuite the same problem I reported about Bro's truck :) the hitbox line on which you can walk is too long.
    *imageStill some problems to fit plants in the decor :p

Funny facts :
    *When you finish a level and ride the helicopter through the flames of hell to an other impossible mission, you can still be trolled by a propane tank on fire, which will obviously explode your manly helicopter, leaving you with only your eyes to cry and about 3 seconds to watch yourself, still alive, falling to the burning land your previously flew off.
    *Tanks have been granted the ability to see through walls thanks to researches made by nazi scientists during WW2 on Superman's genetic code.image
    *The end screen showing the devil chased by bros now only shows the devil, laughing at Brominator killing his bro-friends offscreen.

I think that Brommando's rockets should not only explode on contact with tank's rockets but also that they can go through them so that you can hit the tank behind. It will make him the guy to have against tanks :)
    Also, for Bro In Black, I think that you should differentiate his special attack from Bro Hard's. Perhaps the mooks touched and confused by the white ray should just stay still after that, arms down, as like their memory had been totally flashed out. More accurate, nope ?
  • edited
    After a going through quite a few designs I think Im finally getting closer to the mook overall look / mook general design.
    c&c welcome
  • GOAT!

I APPROVE SO HARD

Yay! We're within the top 50!
  • Congratulations! I sincerely hope this game will blossom within this year. And by the looks of it, it will.
  • edited
    New BROFORCE logo I've been working on over the weekend and today, still a WIP but its 80/90% there for a second iteration.
    heading towards a decent style for the menus and things as well, the dota style fire background will probably still be space.

• That logo... I love it.
  • I think my favorite thing about that graph is that the little green line isn't hitting the bottom at it's lowest anymore. That's yer momentum, right there :)
  • Looks awesome. What are you guys currently working on?

I was thinking about level themes, do you have them all figured out? a snow level is a must!
  • went through a few iterations for the flag, we are a lot happier with this one :) ta for comments.
    Thanked by 1duncanbellsa
  • Maybe, maybe, just maybe, close up the space between the F and the O by a liiittle bit, it looks a bit too spacious there... That's the only comment I have there...

Well, besides AWESOME SHINY METAL LOGO IS AWESOME :D
  • We've been getting a couple complaints that our hosting for the webplayer is quite slow...

So we're trying out hosting the webplayer on GoogleDrive. http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/GoogleDrive/BROFORCE_WEB.html

(If anyone wants to check whether that works... and whether it is faster than the old webplayer: http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/BROFORCE_WEB.html that'd be really helpful)
  • edited
    Finished the logo, made the f and o closer! small update on that:)
    Heres new mook general in pixel art. and some concepts for punching! I drew more states but I dunno where they are now. phff. :) Will show some damage state stuff tommorow night!

• edited
    Guysguysguys... FREE LIVES TEAM IN ACTION!!!!!

P.S. The google drive host works way faster on my computer.
  • I've been to post here a while now but anything I'm going to post pales in contrast to how excited I am to see BroForce released. I am a pixel art whore - who can blame me when games like this are being made.

Keep it up gents!
    Thanked by 1Denzil
  • Oh man, so awesome. I hope you can choose your bro in deathmatch, for example MacBrover is terrible compared to everyone else. I think he should be able to blow up the dynamite when pressing the shoot button again, like you can do with the special attack.

It would be great if you could choose the same bro for each player too, MacBrover vs. MacBrover anyone? :P Maybe the others would have different color clothing, like in fighting games.

Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited

Hey, just an update on our Greenlight progress. I think some other games were Greenlit (though I haven't seen any news on that yet) because we jumped a whole bunch of places overnight. I hope we can keep up this progress. We're down to only 43% percent of users voting "NO"!

Any feedback on that developer pitch video would be appreciated. We're trying to get good at talking about the game in videos.

So if you think that we sound too formal and prepared, or too informal or silly, or if you think we're forgetting to say important things, or if our accents sound awful etc we'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • Sweet! Making progress! That's quite a jump! I'm sure the moment will keep carrying you up, especially as more updates are released! Not too long and you will be under #10 :P
  • Do i get points for finally being up to date on this epic thread of epic epicness? Um insta feedback. Sound quality. The microphone is clipping. Know it can be hard to avoid on cheap equipment, but hearing low quality distorted voices puts me off instantly.

Grab an external mic (if you have one, or else you can put the mic/camera further away so it doesn't clip so badly, but then it will be softer). Could even record game sound into a different computer and the mix that in afterwards to give you spoken voice a chance to be heard. Okay thats a lot of work, but yeah, hope it's vaguely constructive advice at least.

Otherwise it's (and those stats) looking awesome. Well done!

"Yes Yes, Now Kiss!"
  • I love how the mook general looks a bit like PSY. Good job on it and keep it up! I can't wait to blow him up.
  • It looks a bit weird how his face doesn't move at all. His eyes and mouth especially should move a bit. Then again you probably wouldn't even notice something like that in-game :P
  • @Ade lol. We're probably moving away from this particular enemy character a bit... Bevis's early version was too detailed to animate easily (and we would have had to have only a few cutscenes as a result). Not sure if we're even going to use my poorly animated badguy... because Bevis is working on something really cool right now.

@epicfailnot lol, they have been looking very PSY ! (didn't notice that until now)
  • Wanted to say that this is the Best F'n Game Ever !!! Just played the Online version now on the EU Server and it worked just fine. Can't wait for the Demo release that's due this month. All my friends want to buy this game and we drink/play using 4 X-Box Controllers. It's Great !!!

But there's a little Bug and I didn't see it posted until now, if people are having problems with this, as I know I did this is what you can do until it's fixed: If you enter the game with 2 (or more) XBOX controllers started then the RT Button won't work for "Fire" on either of them. In order for it to work, just enter the game with only 1 Controller started and afterwards start the 2nd one, the RT Button will work and you can start Bro-ing together !!!
  • @Killeru Thanks for the kind words bro!

Yeah... that's a strange bug... We're going to have to test that out.

I think in the next update we're going to have special optionally as LT. It's a bit of a pain to use Indianna's special and press up/jump at the moment. We'll see if we can sort out RT not registering properly at the same time.
  • Yeah Bro! An answer... That's refreshing.

One question, the latest version is always this one here http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/GoogleDrive/BROFORCE_WEB.html ?

And is this the same version as the Standalone Build?

I lost track and I have like 7 Versions here... played and enjoyed them all since Day 1 !!!

Keep up the Good Work !!!
  • @Killeru Yeah... we update that link (and the standalone linked from there) fairly regularly. We try facebook announce, and Greenlight announce the updates, although the last update was done in a panic when somehow the old file got corrupt.

We do have a mailing list. Which is just for Broforce updates.

That's awesome that you've enjoyed it that much. Hopefully we'll live up to that commitment with our improvements.
  • Thanks for the reply man... " We do have a mailing list. Which is just for Broforce updates." - and how does one - that doesn't use the facebook and the twitter - get on that mailing list?

Have a Good One !!!
  • Fucking. Awesome! And good luck on green light! Have you had any additional thoughts on a kick starter campaign?
  • Coestar and avidyazen just did a WONDERFUL stream of the game on twitch... in online multiplayer...

Some bugs to look into, but they enjoyed themselves! A lot! http://www.twitch.tv/coestar/c/2444073 The stream was called "Part of a Balanced Breakface (BROFORCE)"

@Chris_Bischoff We're trying to put together a more solid demo... and get some cool trailer gameplay material together (like fighting on the backs of trains... etc)... with the goal of launching "some kind of pre-order campaign".

We have some reservations about Kickstarter itself... mostly that it costs a lot to do it, particularly as a South African.

The other possibility is doing a BRO-STARTER. Like a self-Kickstarter. Like Prison Architect http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/ or Starbound http://www.playstarbound.com/store/ or Desktop Dungeons http://www.desktopdungeons.net/pre-order-desktop-dungeons/

The big advantages of Kickstarter I feel is that we might get more press, it's easy/familiar for a lot of people to use, and there have been several comparable games to BROFORCE that have had successful Kickstarters recently (Like Shovel Knight, ANNE, Mercenary Kings and a few others). So there is a fair bit of certainty with Kickstarter, whereas doing a BRO-STARTER is a bit of an unknown.

A BRO-STARTER would be better if we feel confident in our own marketing abilities... or the strength of the game to get noticed by a lot of reviewers. And it comes with the advantage of strong theming... We can add the prefix "BRO" to every verb on the webpage!!!

• PCGamer did an article http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/03/nelson-brodela-leads-the-broforce-onto-greenlight/ and Benzaie did another very cool play of the game
    Benzaie talks English fluently (part of the That-guy-with-the-glasses Crew), i'm pretty sure he will take a little time to give you some feedback about what he appreciated and what he didn't if you ask him ! :)
  • After watching your killer bits interview, I think you should totally have an animal bro. Like lassie, but with lazer eyes... Brooch maybe?
    Also you forgot to mention Die Swart Kat when talking about SA action hero's, he's a total bro (he's not).
    Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • AdeAde
    edited
    After watching your killer bits interview, I think you should totally have an animal bro. Like lassie, but with lazer eyes... Brooch maybe?
    Also you forgot to mention Die Swart Kat when talking about SA action hero's, he's a total bro (he's not).
    Maybe you'd have to rescue the animals (from cages maybe) and they'd follow you, and attack enemies :P

How about adding women? :D Ripley from Alien, Lara Croft, Black Widow, to name a few. Or damsels, like in spelunky, that you need to rescue, I mean c'mon, how many action films involve a damsel in distress-situation? :D
  • Hey guys,
    Just wanted to tell you you have gained a Costa Rican fan (that's in Central America) (no, it's not Puerto Rico). I am a developer too and you guys just pumped me up to make a game. I'll open a blog and keep you posted here.
    BTW, I feel animals shouldnt be bros, but instead, temporary companions. Kind of like having a powerup that you can launch and they will do their duty. Lassie (phoenix down?) or rintintin, etc. oh and, is van damne in the game atm? Is there somewhere I can see a list of current bros?
  • edited
    Yeah... I think it'd be badass to get a terrorist killing Capybara that follows you temporarily (like @andi suggests). I'm pretty certain @raithza will love programming that :) (well actually... he's pretty excited about implementing a Boondock Bros that might work a bit like that).

Ripley from Aliens is definitely going in (she completely owns every man in every movie she's in, and wields a plasma rifle slash flamethrower). There's a few more amazing action heroes that are women that we'd like to include... perhaps we should prioritize that now that we've got quite a few men...

@andi That's a good suggestion about having a list of bros already in the game to keep players up to date... And welcome to the forum!!! (and thanks for playing)
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • edited
    LexAquillia said:
    After watching your killer bits interview, I think you should totally have an animal bro. Like lassie, but with lazer eyes... Brooch maybe?
    Oh, I know it's totally unrelated, but now you've got me thinking about SWAT Kats.
  • Oh, I found a glitch while I was watching my friend play today, but I couldn't get a screenshot. As both Robocop and Dredd, he appeared to have five specials, but then after he used one it automatically went to two. This only happened once for either character.
  • Cool suggestion; Maybe have drop copters that act as aerial spawn points, dropping paratroopers down until you shoot it down. Shooting it down would send it hurtling to the ground, like when you shoot your helicopter at the end of the level.
  • @DragonTech Though that does sound quite cool, I would like to pose you with a "philosophical" question. Would you ever say your own suggestion was not cool when giving it?
  • Maybe have drop copters that act as aerial spawn points, dropping paratroopers down until you shoot it down. Shooting it down would send it hurtling to the ground, like when you shoot your helicopter at the end of the level.
    I quite like this. Though it can be hard to shoot down heli's in broforce, i'm sure there could be a convenient propane tank nearby most of the time....
  • Maybe bros can climb the ladder/zip line as the mooks come down... blow up the helicopter from point blank then dive to safety while it crashes and kills the team of mooks that just landed?

(Mooks really need to learn to deal with bros while passing them on ladders (whether descending from helis or just partolling)... that might be tricky to get right)
    Thanked by 2DragonTech Ade
  • edited
    BlackShipsFilltheSky says:
    Maybe bros can climb the ladder/zip line as the mooks come down... blow up the helicopter from point blank then dive to safety while it crashes and kills the team of mooks that just landed?
    +1 on that! Having a kick ass animation when they beat up the pilot and then jumping to safety right before it crashes. Like the Wolverine game, when you launch yourself at the pilot, pull him out and decapitate him with the blades of the chopper :D

Video:
  • Denzil said:
    @DragonTech Though that does sound quite cool, I would like to pose you with a "philosophical" question. Would you ever say your own suggestion was not cool when giving it?
    Yes. Because I just post whatever I'm thinking, and I know that some of it doesn't make sense or wouldn't actually be viable in-game.
    Thanked by 1Denzil
  • Maybe bros can climb the ladder/zip line as the mooks come down... blow up the helicopter from point blank then dive to safety while it crashes and kills the team of mooks that just landed?
    That sounds awesome.

I think I've played too much Spelunky, whenever I play this game I always press L1 (PS3 controller) to run before I jump off ledges. :P Have you thought about adding sprinting, or atleast a short "tackle" that lets you jump a little bit further?
  • Hey, have we broken top 40 yet?
  • @Ade What about a double tap direction to start a sprint? (having an extra button like in Spelunky won't work on keyboard because we do two player on keyboard (and holding a run button may block a key for the other player), and we definitely want to support two player keyboard).

@DragonTech We're still hovering at #42. With a new trailer, and some exposure this weekend http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=151173251 , hopefully we'll start to climb again.

• What about a double tap direction to start a sprint? (having an extra button like in Spelunky won't work on keyboard because we do two player on keyboard (and holding a run button may block a key for the other player), and we definitely want to support two player keyboard).
    Yeah, that works too. :P So sprinting will be in the game?
  • @Ade I'm going to try putting sprinting in the game... but that doesn't mean it'll stay in the game (moving faster can affect a LOT of systems, like jump distances and enemy awareness of the player.). If sprinting turns out to break things irreparably it'll be removed.
  • We made a new trailer:
  • Well I kinda want to jump further while sprinting... :p I don't think it really affects the game that much? One problem with sprinting I can already see happening, is that you can probably run past every enemy in every level, it's pretty easy already as it is. To fix that, I think enemies would need to shoot you way faster when you're sprinting.

Well, nice to hear you're looking into it. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't. :P