Bro Force (prototype)

Comments

• AdeAde
    edited
    So is there an answer to my question? Will we be allowed to make cosmetic changes or alterations to our characters using points and such?
    The pixel art is nice but the sprites are so small that do people really even care how the characters look? Too much work for something so little, I feel. Well, if you meant alternative outfits. Simple sprites that can be added on top of the character sprites would make more sense, like sunglasses, an afro, a rubber duck swim ring, stuff like that. :D

But then again the sprites ARE small so I don't think even those would really add anything to the game.
  • edited
    I think you all misunderstand, I'm not trying to make a suggestion, I'm just trying to get some clarification on something BlackShips already said. I think it'd be a cool feature, but it's no big difference to me one way or another.
    BlackShipsFilltheSky said:
    Though maybe we could include points, but make them so that they don't really matter (too much). Like most of the things that the points earn you are either leaderboards, or cosmetic upgrades. So players can still have fun making up their own goals.
  • raithza said:
    why the fuck is rambro bald?
    bevis said:
    because YOLO no scope:( also he has no eyes.
    BlackShipsFillTheSky said:
    I think you meant to say "Carpe Diem", you ridiculous idiot. ( ◕‿◕ )
    bevis said:
    O=(' . 'Q)
    BlackShipsFillTheSky said:
    ╰( ´◔ ω ◔ `)╯
    Dev-romance at its finest

What can we expect in the next possible public demo? Just curious.
  • What can we expect in the next possible public demo? Just curious.
    A version of Indy that doesn't suck. Also more explosions
    So is there an answer to my question? Will we be allowed to make cosmetic changes or alterations to our characters using points and such?
    You'll have to wait and see!
  • What can we expect in the next possible public demo? Just curious.
    A mook launching tank probably. A bunch of fixes (I think we're going to finally take out the saving bro on death level complete problem, amongst other things). And a little polish, like a little more feedback on Robrocop, and like @raithza said, an fixed up Indy that's at least 20% more fun to use.
  • Two bugs here :
    The HUD part showing player 2 is not at the right place, a little higher.
    + player 2 (Snake Broskin) is my brother on an other computer. On his computer, where he is situated, there was no blocks. The interesting thing is that on mine there WAS blocks. So he was able to go through them, while I wasn't. Can this be caused by lag ?
  • edited
    Mook general WIP
    (not sold on his outfit, wana put more badges and things.)

• bevis said:
    Mook general WIP
    (not sold on his outfit, wana put more badges and things.)
    I'm liking the shiny cap hood thing, I its the rest of the cap thats throwing me off. The way its cropped it kinda looks like a mining helmet.

Loving the saggy cheeks and the pencil mustache :D
  • Douzeju said:
    On his computer, where he is situated, there was no blocks. The interesting thing is that on mine there WAS blocks. So he was able to go through them, while I wasn't. Can this be caused by lag ?
    Just a bug in the network code. The level is going out of sync because damage was applied to the blocks on your brothers machine, but not on your own. I'll update online build next week.
  • edited

Just had a bit of attention, and jumped 3 place in Greenlight! Finally broke the 60th place mark \(◎o◎)/!

You can see the slight uptick at the end. That also meant an extra 4 thousand or so people playing the game a day.

BenzaieLive, a French youtuber, (who did an awesome playthrough) and TheKillerBits from UK and and a little Reddit love are probably to blame for this luck.

If you notice the graph, a lot of games are rising faster than Broforce, so we still have a ways to go (although on most days the selection of games displayed in that graph aren't quite so meteoric). But we're getting there for sure! (=_=)

The KilerBits are trying to get some exposure to themselves, and they're going to be doing a interview I think with us, if you like their video, consider giving it a "like".

(We really want to get them to play the new version)
  • It surprises me how Broforce gets 44% of downvotes. People seem to be offended by the name Broforce, as it consists of the word 'bro', although I cannot assume that all the 'no thanks' votes are due to this reason. Some of my classmates, for instance, were offended by this name. This is quite a bad sign for the game, I think. People tend to judge the name of the game before they play it. This, of course, is not a right attitude, but if people do it, there is no way of stopping them. I think this is a waste of such a greatly developed game, but I cannot suggest anything to improve it.

You can ignore this post, I am just getting it off my chest. But does anyone feel the same?
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    The average "No" votes in the top 50 of Greenlight is at 42%. So Broforce getting 45% isn't actually much of a problem (though we know the game isn't for everyone, and that's part of what makes it special).

Though, personally, I think the people in the 45% of viewers who vote "No" are only looking for Slendercraft anyway.

Flips table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Thanked by 2epicfailnot Denzil
  • edited
    We've been tweaking Indiana Brones's abilities. I made this long level (it's prolly a bit too long). If you're interested in trying it out, there's a time counter in case you want to speed run it.

http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/BROFORCE_Brototype_Windows_Indie_Speed_Run.zip

We're also trying to figure out how difficult levels should be for experienced players. If you do try the level, let me know how the difficulty feels (in either normal play or in a speed run or both).

We might get some proper tracking done soon, so we can all see times and compare violence.
  • BlackShipsFilltheSky said:
    We've been tweaking Indiana Brones's abilities. I made this long level (it's prolly a bit too long). If you're interested in trying it out, there's a time counter in case you want to speed run it.

http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/BROFORCE_Brototype_Windows_Indie_Speed_Run.zip

We're also trying to figure out how difficult levels should be for experienced players. If you do try the level, let me know how the difficulty feels (in either normal play or in a speed run or both).

We might get some proper tracking done soon, so we can all see times and compare violence.
    Oh my goooooooooood.
    That was so HARD. Mostly because you only have one life, and you have:
    -More consistently rickety bridges
    -Land mines
    -Paratroopers
    -Land Structures I am not familiar with

It was so hard. I think maybe with some practice, like what I have with every single level, I could do better on it, but it was so hard these first, what 14 or so playthroughs that it took me to beat it. Luckily I beat it the first time my brother came to watch and make fun of my failures, so that's a positive.
  • Yeah, it only took me 2 or 3 tries this time. Much better.
  • edited
    Yeeee... I dunno about that level...its great for speed runs but the auto-falling bridges make it really lame for playing it any other way because you end up in places where it is literally impossible to proceed because the bridge is gone. So the *vast* majority of my deaths (at least until I finished it for the first time) were a result of just falling =/

I'm also fairly sure that one time I shot the ground around a mine, the sign disappeared by when I ran over the ground it still exploded (IE the sign shouldnt have disappeared I imagine...because I hadn't destroyed the mine).

So ye that was pretty hard...but I wouldnt make it too much easier really... I think its just because the level is meant to be played differently. So its really hard to play that level the way I would normally play but if you just speedrun through it its not too difficult (at least once you've finished it for a first time). If you plan on having a set of speedrun levels then maybe just have a few before this one? So players can get more of a sense of how to go about it or something/get more used to the idea of nobody-cares-if-they-die-just-run-away
    DragonTech said:
    That was so HARD. Mostly because you only have one life
    You mean the best way to play broforce solo? :D?

Finished it 3 times in total, dunno what you guys get but I finished in 51.23 seconds (that helicopter is slow...takes its time while my precious seconds tick away :<)
  • edited
    Taking the time that the game pauses on at the end as the definitive time, I got 36.86s without using the moonwalk bug. Speedrunning broforce is kinda fun...
  • PS have y'all figured out how to use Indy's whip yet?
  • edited
    I did it in 36.99.
    EDIT: I just encountered the whip being invisible for a whole turn, till I died.
  • @raithza I tried...I really did...but it seems that either 1)I'm totally doing it wrong, or 2)its not working the way it should (I guess its the former)

I noticed you can pull yourself to walls and things...but it doesnt always work (I only got it working in 1 scenario when I held myself on the room. Other times it was just annoying as it would try to hook to something when I just wanted it to go straight, so it'd miss enemies and I'd die =/
  • ok, 35.36. need to stop playing now...
  • Not hard at all. The grappling hook works really well now btw. Took me about 37 seconds.
  • Not hard at all. The grappling hook works really well now btw. Took me about 37 seconds.
    lol! Well was it more in line with the difficulty you'd like, or was it not hard enough?

@D3zmodos Yeah. If we did a bunch of speedrun levels (like as challenges) they'd start off short and introduce the concepts slower, instead of throwing everything at you. The collapsing bridges we kind of designer dickishness on my part... I spent a while rofling everytime I saw @Bevis fall into one (he was working late last night as well).

We'll look into making the whip more useable... Thanks for the feedback! I think I've learnt a lot.
  • edited
    c+c (rambo punching / punch windupthing / angry)
    Thanked by 1DragonTech
  • AdeAde
    edited
    Well I think the level design in this level isn't quite right for a speedrun. The top route is easily the fastest AND safest way and you can just run past all the enemies that notice you. Whipping yourself from roof to roof, jumping over the landmines. I think it's just too simple?
    It made me wonder if you were going to implement speedrun into every level OR would they be separate, maybe unlockable, challenges? I could see a "no-death"-challenge for every level though.

Few bugs I found:

- Sometimes, maybe because of whipping, the player ran 2-3x faster.
    - The whip was invisible a few times.
    - Got killed by a falling block but wasn't under it.
  • edited
    @Ade Yeah, I'm not happy with the top route being so dominant (that's why I tried to lay landmines all over it >_< )

But I actually quite like the whipping between towers strategy with Indy towards the end of the level... So maybe I'll try do more of that with Indy speedruns in the future. @Bevis promised some more temply graphics eventually. And if I can include a rolling boulder I'll be quite happy.

Which part seemed the most fun with Indy? Or is it hard to tell?
  • The Rambo punch looks REALLY street fighter like. Perhaps a little change in the expression?
  • edited
    I guess I mostly found it hard because I wanted to play how I normally do, which is kill every enemy, destroy every spawn, raise very flag. I don't feel like I've really beaten a level if I don't do those.
  • I guess I mostly found it hard because I wanted to play how I normally do, which is kill every enemy, destroy every spawn, raise very flag. I don't feel like I've really beaten a level if I don't do those.
    Yeah, you pretty much miss 90% of the level when you have to rush through it. The game needs to make you have to explore the level first so you'll figure out the fastest route yourself. Maybe even have a few routes that are about as fast as the other but both require different tactics to get through them fast - like if you could choose a character before trying the speedrun - Brode can jump higher and can slice through blocks, but Indy has a useful grappling hook that makes climbing faster. Like, there could be a underground tunnel that would be faster for Indy to use, but some other path would have lots of gastanks lying sideways ready to use. :P
  • edited
    34.9 :D
    31.5 :D
    28.6 XD
  • edited
    @raithza is working hard at getting timing tracking (and other scoring analytics so you can compare scores) into Broforce. And after he's done with that he's definitely going to spend as long as it takes to beat 34.9 seconds and once again be #1.
  • OK, I thought I'd fess up, it appears than when you start running without stopping or whipping for a bit you start running reaaally fast. That's how I got my time down that far. Also, the whip THINKS it can attach to propane tanks, but then when the tank flies away the whip just sorta stays looking attached to where it was. Very sad.
  • edited
    @DragonTech : maybe it's the same bug I reported about a month ago under the name "Hadron Collider moonwalk". I think I made a video about it...
    By the way, 28.98 using this speed hack :p and 39.12 without.
  • Yeah, sorry folks, Indy had a special case of moonwalk behaviour that I fixed today... you can still moonwalk him normally. Really torn between leaving it in cause it's awesome or taking it out for fairness...
  • stuff from today. friendly general concepts and a young dolph lundgren.

Thanked by 1Douzeju
  • also new logo concept WIP
    Thanked by 1DragonTech
  • edited
    Love the new concept.
    And do you have to walk backwards to do the moon walk thing? Because I wasn't walking backwards.
    Also, why does the general guy have a penis on his hat patch?
    Edit: Mortar mook? I wanna see mortar mook.

Show us Mortar mook.
  • haha! office in joke! :( mortar mook coming soon bro!
  • Did anyone of you noticed they also changed Bro in Black's special attack ? :L
    Oh, I wasn't supposed to say that, forget about it. And look at this.

After some replays, I think that Indiana's whip doesn't give you that much liberty. There are some spots which are obviously designed for it, that Indiana's whip "recognizes", and if you happen to want to attach to any other part of the platform, the whip will automatically aim at these planned spots, and not to the one you may have expected.
    Well, at some point, you can now compare Indiana to Ezio or Altaïr ^^ easy to play !
  • Yeah, one catch with Indy's whip as he is now is that it doesn't allow for as much interpretation as the old version, I have an idea for improving that though. We tried to make his whip go to where the player would want him to go most of the time. If there are cases where you feel it's really off the mark show me and I'll see if I can improve it.

• edited
    (Unfortunately I can't screenshot anything :( ctrl+v in Photoflitre or Paint only shows a black screen. And it does the same with the online version in fullscreen mode.)
    Most of the time, it's due to the fact that the whip automatically brings you to the point you're attached to, whereas you would expect it only to attach to the point you aimed at. In fact, you can't anymore swing between two pits !
    image.....image
    Nevertheless, the mechanics you created work well for above platforms you want to reach.
  • nice paint skills there! BTW the snip tool should be able to take screenshots.

I really liked the swinging whip but it was so hard to use and because of how the levels are built it wasn't very practical. I don't think most players would spend enough time with to get to grips with it - and no-one was using it anyway. to cross that pit you'd have to drop down then grapple up. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • and no-one was using it anyway
    I was ^^ hey, who wouldn't try to do it ?
    Perhaps you could add special blocks to attach to ? Roots, vines, a chandelier...
  • mook genereal concept for cutscenes
    Thanked by 2Merrik DragonTech
  • edited

PCGamer did an article http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/03/nelson-brodela-leads-the-broforce-onto-greenlight/ and Benzaie did another very cool play of the game

We've gotten to #51. Only 50 more games to beat!
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Hold on... that PC Gamer article mention Nelson Brodela.

IS THIS A REAL THING?! :D :D :D

Have I missed this somehow? Or is this new?

I don't care either way

I WANT NELSON BRODELA NOW! :D

• Douzeju said:
    Did anyone of you noticed they also changed Bro in Black's special attack ? :L
    Oh, I wasn't supposed to say that, forget about it. And look at this.
    Wait, wut?
  • Wait, wut?
    When you are two players on the speedrun, the second one gets a random bro. We had Bro in Black... and is attack was changed :p