Bro Force (prototype)

Comments

• Can I share another Bro idea I had, or should I do that on the greenlight discussion about the bros?
  • Suggest away man, this is the thread to do it in :)
  • edited
    I think it'd be cool, and this is just me, to have Flash Gordon in this. The most recent Flash Gordon was in the 80's, so I feel that would be acceptable. He could have a limited jetpack jump and a little medium-speed shot insta-kill raygun. Y'know, to make up for the JETPACK. His special could be riding around on a rocket cycle for a minute and shooting a few of his lasers at once from the front.
  • edited

I'm totally for including Flash Gordon. But Prince Vulcan is the real bro in that film. And including Brian Blessed in a game is a lifetime goal of mine... so maybe both? (though maybe Prince Vulcan as a more hidden character, even a touch of Brian Blessed can be a lot)

Plus, maybe then we can also have the Highlander, and we'll have characters from 2 film scored by Queen.

I think the bros would approve.

Thanked by 2DragonTech Actrox
  • Oh, I almost forgot! Sometimes the rescued bro animation falls, but the bro still spawns where the animation started.
    PS. I was actually just online with Douzeju for a second.
  • edited
    APPROVED! Heres the boss in pixel art (see concept on previous page). now for the damage states. *wipes brow*

• edited
    Got a level working with the little tank things. They're not polished yet... they need some more sounds and other stuff, but they're definitely a different sort of obstacle (which is what we want out of each new enemy).

If you want to check it out: http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/MakeTanksWednesday/BROFORCE_Brototype_Windows_Tanks.zip All feedback welcome!

(...now time for some sleep)
    Thanked by 2DragonTech Douzeju
  • edited
    That missile level was very fun. Makes me think grenadiers would be cool.
    Also, loved the new art for all of the missiles.
    Thanked by 1Douzeju
  • Can I just say, that Princes of the universe video music video, seeing Brian May playing on a Flying - V === EPIC!!!!!!!

Also I fully support Brolander McCloud if he is immortal and can only die by dicapitation.
  • The boss looks badass! However, it should be fitted with some decor that links it to the scenery. For example, if it is for the jungle, there should be something like vines tangled all over it, or maybe some moss as well.
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • Broforce will definitely have something in common with Metal Slug ! :D that was one of the main interesting points of this old game : each level had its own unique robot or enemies.
  • The game difficulty is rising ! with these big War machines, you're no longer the only one able to destroy the environment !

You made a great work on Brommando's rockets and special rocket attack, they look terrible now ! Same compliment for Bro Dredd's special attack ! Moreover, I LOVE the way Rambro always roll after a jump :D I don't know if in the movie he moves like that, but BroBlade must have a similar special move when performing a jump (backflip or "frontflip") !
    I see you've improved your explosion mechanics :) I also appreciate the fact tanks are not attracted by exploding turkeys. :p
    One thing was perturbing in fact : dogs eating, causing a white "slash" animation to appear. I don't think these are very useful. It draws your attention on this action, which is not that much interesting (startling and funny, but when you're on an ongoing slaughter, you don't want to be disrupted by such things ^^). Plus, slashes are more to be found with weapons such as blades, katanas and knives.

And as always : bugs.
    A indestructible block has disappeared after a rocket launched by a tank exploded on it. We still have no trace of him but the police goes on investigating.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    Some other things I may suggest are that Bro in Black's sticky bombs actually sticks to tanks, and that his lazer-gun's bullets explode on impact with tanks. For now they simply pass through as if they don't exist :)

EDIT: forget about the lazer-gun, it works perfectly
  • edited
    A [ ! ] probably shouldn't show up on a tank after either of it's parts have been blown up. I don't think the treads see me, and if they do, they don't do move do anything about it. (y'know, because they stop moving when the top is blown up, and they can't run you over.

Edit: Also, while my game was going a bit slow, I shotgunned two red barrels point-blank, trying to die, and I totally survived. I was literally touching the barrels.
  • edited
    Oh, and one I haven't really thought to mention before. When you throw a turkey bomb as McBrover, and you stand in contact with a mook, they get very conflicted on what to pay attention to, and switch between a question mark and an exclamation mark really fast. Causing a noise that sounds sort of like some sort of computer error.

Edit: Another bro idea, and a possible context for my zombie idea. Ash Williams, the protagonist of Evil Dead. (The 80's one)
    Weapon: Chainsaw (I'd say chainsaw AND shotgun, because with a chainsaw arm he really uses both at the same time, but I'm not sure how that could be fair.)
    Special: Spawns a few little magic tendrils that fly to the nearest enemies and turns them into zombies, a hostile that doesn't like the other hostiles.
    I'm sorry if I'm suggesting too much or anything, I just play the game and then I end up thinking, "Wow, wouldn't _______ be cool?"
  • Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback!
    You made a great work on Brommando's rockets and special rocket attack, they look terrible now ! Same compliment for Bro Dredd's special attack ! Moreover, I LOVE the way Rambro always roll after a jump
    Thanks! though I assume you meant terrific not terrible? :D
    One thing was perturbing in fact : dogs eating, causing a white "slash" animation to appear.
    I agree! on the to-do list.
    A indestructible block has disappeared after a rocket launched by a tank exploded on it. We still have no trace of him but the police goes on investigating.
    Weird! will look into it!
    A [ ! ] probably shouldn't show up on a tank after either of it's parts have been blown up. I don't think the treads see me, and if they do, they don't do move do anything about it. (y'know, because they stop moving when the top is blown up, and they can't run you over.
    Right!
    I shotgunned two red barrels point-blank, trying to die, and I totally survived. I was literally touching the barrels.
    Not a bug - a feature!
    Oh, and one I haven't really thought to mention before. When you throw a turkey bomb as McBrover, and you stand in contact with a mook, they get very conflicted on what to pay attention to, and switch between a question mark and an exclamation mark really fast. Causing a noise that sounds sort of like some sort of computer error.
    Thanks!
    Another bro idea, and a possible context for my zombie idea. Ash Williams, the protagonist of Evil Dead.
    We think he'd make a great bro, and he's definitely on our to-bro list. Nice sprite as well :)
    Thanked by 1DragonTech
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFillTheSky uh, I tried to play this last version (windows_tanks). All that happens is, I get a countdown, and music starts playing. And in the right-hand edge of my screen I can sorta see an enemy walk around, but I don't get a character to play with so I can't do anything. Like, my character literally never appears.

edit:
    Ok I pressed some button and he appeared. My bad

Cool! Things have progressed quite a lot since I last played. Love the brobocop!
  • edited
    @DragonTech Ash is definitely a bro! Possibly the only reason he is not in yet is because we already have a shotgun character, and we're not sure hot to make his chainsaw awesome. Though maybe giving him some satanic powers (like you suggest) could work. Maybe he could read from the Necronomicon and raise the dead or something.

About the image for your suggestion... Here is the template/proportions we use for the bros in the game:

(Your head is a little wide.. even though Bevis keeps giving them weird heads in his preview images). Thought this might make suggesting the image for bros a little easier for you...

Which might make him look a little like this:

Though Bevis is the artist (not me). So he'd probably try a few things before he's happy with Ash's look.

Here's the latest Tank build... if you're interested. The tank rockets are now shootable, and sliceable by Blade (I think). http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/MakeTanksWednesday/BROFORCE_Brototype_Windows_Tanks.zip

I'm going to look into Bro In Black's gun vs Tanks... Thanks @Douzeju

• No no no, forget about Bro in Black's gun, it works perfectly fine. It's more about his sticky bombs which do not stick to the tanks !
    And yes, i meant terrific, like the Turbo one of that Peter Perfect. sorry :3
  • edited
    @Douzeju Ah yes...

Bevis also said that he expected Grenades to bounce off of Tanks (and so also that sticky grenades should stick to tanks)...

In fact I believe sticking to tanks was the primary purpose of sticky grenades in actual warfare.... (like in World War 2 when the British invented them... the British must have also read the Wikipedia article I found)
  • edited
    (Your head is a little wide.. even though Bevis keeps giving them weird heads in his preview images). Thought this might make suggesting the image for bros a little easier for you...
    Oh, thanks. I was going off that little thing with the different possible character builds a few pages back, because there weren't many high-quality pictures of the characters. I thought they were the same, but now looking at it it's obvious the one I copied was a bit wide.

And in regards to the tank level, I know Snake's bullets are different, but I feel like color on the other bullets are a bit different too? I like it.

Edit: The tank treads blink like they're taking fall damage even after they've been blown up.
  • DragonTech said:
    And in regards to the tank level, I know Snake's bullets are different, but I feel like color on the other bullets are a bit different too? I like it.
    Well spotted sir!

Yeah, the tanks technically are still taking fall damage after blowing up. We really want the tanks to go on fire and smoke and stuff, and then maybe gib from fall damage into bolts and metal sheeting, but we haven't got that far yet so it's been left kind of rough for the moment.
  • Hmm, I don't think making other grenades bounce off of tanks would be a good idea. Actually, it will simply make them ineffective against them. Destroying the terrain under them is one of the best ways to get rid of them without being too close to their rockets.
    Oh yeah, that makes me think that Tanks do a flesh sound when being stabbed, along with Brominator (who also explodes bloodily besides being a robot) ^^
  • edited
    Flash... A-AAH!
    My blaster sucks.
  • I was playing co-op with someone online, and on the levels where a certain character is "unlocked", the message would show for every (or at least multiple) hostages saved on the level. Like I could save Bro Hard and it would say "UNLOCKED BRADE".
  • DragonTech said:
    I was playing co-op with someone online, and on the levels where a certain character is "unlocked", the message would show for every (or at least multiple) hostages saved on the level
    Thanks, I will look into it. Hero unlocks haven't been properly networked yet.
  • edited

In case anyone is interested, Broforce was played by 100,000 different players in the last 30 days or so. 90 something percent French players, most of whom must have seen the Cyprien Squeezie video (which has been viewed over 700,000 times now).

What's really exciting for us here is how long the tale has been (and continues to be, 4000 new players a day is nothing to fling snot at). Given that the game is still in development, and hopefully will get a lot more full bodied / viralitious over the coming months, I feel it's a fairly impressive showing.

Now to find a way to break into the American market!
    Thanked by 2Denzil TheFuntastic
  • Step 1: Bros invade the USA.
    Step 2: there is no step 2.

Trust me : as soon as they will know about your game, your statistics about US will break the ceiling. :) look at us, french !
    Well the fact is, Cyprien is probably the most known french podcaster here... it may have helped a bit ^^
  • I don't know who's most popular here in the US. Maybe pewdiepie. Critical Brit is pretty popular, I think, and he'd probably get British people too.
  • edited
    @Douzeju We've upgraded the bandwidth on our website a bit now. When Cyprien first did that video it kind of crashed the site (French players downloaded over a terrabyte of Broforce in one day).

We might do some trailers and marketting pretty soon. Right now we're crunching to try submit to the Penny Arcade Expo (submissions close tomorrow).
  • Today, while playing broforce, I was wondering... why does chuck norris call in an airstrike, and not do a crazy awesome roundhouse kick? I mean, I really love the airstrike. It's probably my favourite ability. But wouldn't a deadly roundhouse kick be more his trademark thing to do? (Maybe it could send the body flying through terrain/other enemies or something). Maybe the airstrike could be more suited for someone else?

Just a suggestion! Getting excited with the cool developments and your player stats :D
    Thanked by 2DragonTech Douzeju
  • @Denzil Brodell Walker really shouldn't be calling in airstrikes. Originally Chuck was playing Col. James Braddock from Missing in Action... But we changed him to Walker Texas Ranger because it was kind of confusing, but we haven't figured out what to do for his full redesign yet.

We've made some additions to the webplayer build: http://www.freelives.net/BROFORCE/BROFORCE_WEB.html ... It's mostly stuff you'll notice at the end... like a boss fight level.

It's very rough though. I'm quite far from being happy with it. But if anyone wants to check it out, feedback on things we could improve or smooth out would be appreciated.
    Thanked by 2Douzeju duncanbellsa
  • Really great update!

bug:
    when robocop uses his special on tanks, the red square and his bullet stays there for a long time.

• edited
    THAT. WAS. AWESOME.
    It's amazing to see how fantastic Broforce is going to be. Brobocop is veeeeery cool, though I would suggest to make his gun flash red when it's fully charged. His special is now probably my second favorite after Chuck's air-strike ! (even if I agree with Denzil)
    The last Bro you added was also very interesting and surprising ! at the same time I don't really know if it's Indiana Brones or Alan Quater-Bro ^^ The ninja-rope is truly a very good idea ! i think it could be improved by enabling the player to climb his rope with the Up key. and also perhaps by making it reach farther blocks.
    The last levels were... epic. Seriously guys look at this scenery !
    How can it be more badass ? :D
    Perhaps with crows. And a special Boss music-theme.
    The boss fight was quite impressive. I think acting cowardly hiding underground is the best thing to do, as you will earn about 5 lives and carry only about what the boss pattern is. But even with that in mind, the fight was hard to win :)
    As a conclusion, i would say that this end-level was freakin' awesome. Totally freakin' awesome. But as you said @BlackShipsFilltheSky, there are a lot of things to do, still you can already be happy with it ! :)

An now, it's Buggy'Bug-Time !
    Some Ackbar guy would say that it's a trap. I hope it's only a bug ^^

I activatd Brobocop's special attack while he was falling to his death into a endless pit, and the rest of the level, I had to bear with that noisy bip-bip and this "attack menu" you can see.

Here you can see that some soldiers called be the spotters have their parachute on while their already have "landed" after their fall from the ladder.

Here is a typical example of what we psychologically call "misdecisia troubl'icus". The patient doesn't know what to do in this situation, and, as you can see on this picture, basically goes in circles screaming, unable to make a decision.
    I suggest that he jumps into the pit, using perhaps a parachute or something.
  • I'll have some bug notes later, but...
    WHILHELM SCREAM. OH YES. ONE OF MY REQUESTS HAS MADE IT IN.
  • I didn't really notice any bugs in this first playthrough, but I'll be playing this quite a bit over the next few days, so I'll post anything I see.
  • edited
    2 things.
    1: When you continue, it remembers your level, but not your unlocks (at least not all of them.)
    2: I finished the game, went back and chose Continue. I ended up on the first level, and when I beat it I was immediately sent to the credits.
    Edit: Oh, and getting shot into a hostage on your last life still messes things up. This time I was revived, but then it faded to black anyways... And stayed there.
  • I activatd Brobocop's special attack while he was falling to his death into a endless pit, and the rest of the level, I had to bear with that noisy bip-bip and this "attack menu" you can see.
    Fixed! and hopefully future-proofed a bit so we dont get the same problem if we invent a new way for bros to die!
    Here you can see that some soldiers called be the spotters have their parachute on while their already have "landed" after their fall from the ladder.
    Sortof-fixed, working on a better fix now :)
    Here is a typical example of what we psychologically call "misdecisia troubl'icus". The patient doesn't know what to do in this situation, and, as you can see on this picture, basically goes in circles screaming, unable to make a decision.
    I suggest that he jumps into the pit, using perhaps a parachute or something.
    Hmm, yes... i'm not entirely sure what he should do when he's all confused, but perhaps making him jump to his death isn't a bad idea....
    1: When you continue, it remembers your level, but not your unlocks (at least not all of them.)
    well, that's awkward...
    2: I finished the game, went back and chose Continue. I ended up on the first level, and when I beat it I was immediately sent to the credits.
    thanks!
  • when robocop uses his special on tanks, the red square and his bullet stays there for a long time.
    Thanks!
  • AdeAde
    edited
    Hi, I just want to say that me and my friends absolutely love this game, but there's a few annoyances.

- It needs more variation. Maybe something to collect, like enemy intel or something? And at the end of each level it would tell which player was the best, got most kills/points and so on. So you'd be playing co-op but there would also be a competiting factor

- Bonus/Special levels with different objectives instead of always "go from point A to point B"?

- I find it annoying how the enemies shoot at you randomly when they've noticed you, its mostly luck if you manage to dodge the bullets

- Running out of lives gets really annoying on the longer levels because you always have to restart the level from beginning, especially when you were just a few blocks away from the end flag.

- Dogs. They're fine as the way they behave but there's just too goddamn many of them.
  • Thanks for the feedback!
    - It needs more variation. Maybe something to collect, like enemy intel or something? And at the end of each level it would tell which player was the best, got most kills/points and so on. So you'd be playing co-op but there would also be a competiting factor
    Remember you are still playing a super-early version of the game! We are working on those features. You may also like explosion run, a competitive/co-op multiplayer mode (that isn't in the demo...yet)
    I find it annoying how the enemies shoot at you randomly when they've noticed you, its mostly luck if you manage to dodge the bullets
    You probably shouldn't be trying to dodge bullets, think tactically!
  • edited
    @Ade Hopefully most of those annoyances will be sorted out in future versions ^_^ Thanks for the feedback!

Though I'm not sure if we're going to make the mook firing patterns more predictable. Maybe a bit more predictable (or a bit more feedback), but I don't really want dodging bullets to be a thing in Broforce. I'd rather have players find other ways to defeat enemies. Maybe if mooks give a visual warning before they fire it'd feel a bit more fair?

I wonder if it'd work on longer levels to have a couple different objectives... and then if you lose all your lives you can start from the last completed objective (like stealing intelligence or sabotaging a terrorist factory).

Do you think the longer levels might be a bit too brutally hard? Or would you rather they remain difficult but get cut into more manageable sizes?

@Douzeju We're looking into it! As always, thank you for playing and giving such great feedback!

@DragonTech The Wilhelm Scream does add a certain pedigree to Broforce ^_^
  • Though I'm not sure if we're going to make the mook firing patterns more predictable. Maybe a bit more predictable (or a bit more feedback), but I don't really want dodging bullets to be a thing in Broforce. I'd rather have players find other ways to defeat enemies. Maybe if mooks give a visual warning before they fire it'd feel a bit more fair?
    Yes, a visual warning before shooting would be perfect.

I just noticed something btw, it's probably intentional but could maybe use a bit of tweaking.. The helicopter at the end of the level kills you if you jump into it. I can understand it killing you if you hit the propeller but the bottom?
    Do you think the longer levels might be a bit too brutally hard? Or would you rather they remain difficult but get cut into more manageable sizes?
    I think it's fine as it is, I feel like the first levels of a "chapter" shouldn't be too long but the last few levels of that chapter would be significantly longer. You could also add a sense of progression to the levels so you'd always see something new visually, like the orange sky in the last level was awesome.

I also thought of a new enemy idea, a sniper. It's red laser would follow you and shoots when you stop moving. I don't know how this would work in the game but it'd be interesting to see. There should only be a few of them per level though, and always on the roof.

Last small suggestion, I swear. ^__^ The less you shoot the flying gas tank, the further it will go. Like if you shoot it only once, you can ride it for atleast 3-4 seconds? But if it collides with any wall it will explode faster, so you can't use it to dig a huge tunnel. :P

Keep up the good work!
  • edited
    You're welcome :D

Some more feedback :p

- I realize Indiana's wipe shouldn't be taller. It is something like a quarter-screen long, and it sure is enough ! You can use it also against enemies, but the fact that it deals damages to them bothers me, as you can spam them without taking any damage. If it pushes them back with a little slash, confusing them a bit, it would perhaps be enough.
    - I'm getting more and more confused about a particular scenery detail :
    Why the hell did they impaled one of their own soldier on a spear ? Is it one of their satanist rituals ? Did he died practicing pole vault ? Did he get caught smoking at work ? God only knows.
    _ When Indiana Brones is using his wipe as a ninja-rope, if the block he is attached to is destroyed, he remains attached to nothing :

PS :
    @Ade said:
    You could also add a sense of progression to the levels so you'd always see something new visually, like the orange sky in the last level was awesome.
    He is right. For example, as the game goes on, the player must feel he is gong deeper and deeper into the forest : more trees, sounds, animals (PIRAÑHAS)... Moreover, orange skies are full of surprises...

PPS : I've just played with a Russian guy...
    worldwide guys, i told you, worldwide ! :D
  • edited
    Oh! Oh! I found one! With Robocop, if you're charging up your shot and you try to knife someone, it fires the gun.

Also, Indie probably shouldn't be allowed to use his special and gun really fast and at the same time. Maybe have Indie have 5 specials that recharge, so it isn't overused?
  • Yeah I agree, indiana brones's whip is a little too strong at the moment I feel - not because of the power of one hit, but the power of a 1000, that can be spammed really quickly. No enemy is a match for it, besides tanks of course. I guess that's his weakness.
  • I think I'm with @DragonTech on this one, 5 charges that regen would be cool, I always just used it to make people run away long enough for me to shoot them. Also...surely you shouldnt be able to shoot as fast as you can by spamming the shoot button :O

Fun fact: Its possible to destroy the helicopter at the end if you hit it with a propane tank. :P (Or at least it appears to be)
  • Thanks for the feedback guys! Indy is not quite there yet, so feedback on him is especially appreciated. No-one seems to be using his whip to get around (and tbh it's not that useful for a couple of reasons) so we're going to rework him. I didn't like his whip when it didn't do damage but I might reduce the damage it does somehow.
  • The whip would be more useful if you could jump from the rope and maybe climb it. I think it's a cool special ability to use and you should keep it. Using the whip as a weapon I think is fine as it is but having to recharge after using it 5 times, or having a longer time between whipping, wouldn't be too bad either.
    Thanked by 1Denzil
  • edited
    New character suggestion (not sure if it applies since hes a game character):

Duke Brokum ( I used the flash gordon mockup above as reference ):

His special attack could be a jet pack, and he can rain carnage from the sky?
    Or what about his mighty foot? He could kick bad guys like 20 metres back. While the bad guy flies back, each of the other enemies he bumps into gets pushed back as well...
    duke.jpg
    108 x 114 - 5K