Agra the Agoraphobe [Feedback please]

Greetings!

I've continued to work on my game from the Free Lives Game Jam and here it is:
https://crissole.itch.io/agra-the-agoraphobe

Playing through will only take about 10 minutes and I'm keen to hear if you think I should continue development or leave it as it is?

Is this a worthwhile idea? Does it make sense? Is it enjoyable and should I create new art assets (particularly for the outside area)?

I'm really just wondering whether or not this is something to pour more time into.

Looking forward to hearing!
CrissOle
Thanked by 1critic

Comments

• edited
    I remember playing this during the game jam. It's a fun little game. I did mention it reminded me a bit of the game called 'Minit'. Maybe have a look at it for some ideas.

Regarding spending more time on it - it all depends what more you want to do on it? Do you just want to improve the assets?

If you're new to game development and you've never finished a game, I'd say definitely stick to it and finish it. You'll learn a lot from doing so. But I'd say keep it small and just polish it a bit more.

I hope my 2 cents helped.
  • Oh, wow. I was gonna be petty and moan about your graphics, but then I played the game for a few minutes. The underlying concept is really unique, somehow the constant repeating of going out and resetting makes this an interesting mechanic. I would take this further if I was you. Some thoughts are below.

[-]The outside environment needs to be designed better, the player has a very brief and constrained time on each outing, it needs to be balanced better, it feels like there needs to be more points of interest and some more eye candy.
    [-]The setting is somewhat weird, a guy living underground with psychological problems, going out into the woods to collect medicine and food. I would go with something a bit more main-stream, how about using poison rain, poisoned air or radiation, you could develop a whole back story and even feed it into some sort of a game story.
    [-]Loot is way too random, about 70% of the time I got thrown back into the house with it being impossible to reach something to collect.
    [-]The music gets repetitive very quickly, the level does not, get some more music or just offset the start of the song.

IMO this has a lot of potential, it makes me wish there was enough gameplay for an hour and makes me wonder what I would have encountered at that point, people, equipment, upgrade items, recipies, crafting puzzles, story... The core of this game is great, with a lot of polish you got yourself an excellent game here.