[Event] Global Game Jam 23-25 January 2015

Comments

• How would you like those details delivered Fengol?

• edited
    @PietPompies either PM me or I'm going to send out emails asking for info
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Where do we send this information? Email? Here?
  • A note for the Tweeters: Please also make use of the #makegames hashtag to promote our local makegamessa community (and to find each other) along with the official #ggj15
  • I know this is rather off topic. But isn't #MGSA a better hashtag? #makegames is a rather broad tag, and there is the makega.me community which I think uses the tag as well. Also since tweets have limited characters doesn't it make sense to use as few characters in the tag as possible?
  • @Karuji - we've been using the #makegames hashtag for a while - it's descriptive where #MGSA is not. I would advise not changing this now ... with the same passion as was advised by others to not change the logo now :P
  • @dammit: Oh, I thought it was the other way around... #MGSA made more sense to me, as #makegames was already being used?
  • I always did wonder why we used #makegames, do we want a tag to
    A) Generally say that we #makegames, or
    B) Collected and categorise specifically tweets made by members of #mgsa

?

If former, I say #gamedev is a better tag, I use that in a lot of my stuff. If latter, then #makegames isn't really right as it's generic, and #mgsa is better.
  • Eh, what do I know? You guys pick what you want and we'll go with that.
  • Hi everyone! I'm dropping by with the news that Super Friendship Arcade are doing a bit of a satellite jam on the Saturday of this weekend!

We're planning to do our first event of the year in the middle of next month. This meant we were faced with some tough decisions about when to do a jam to make (or in some cases, finish) some new multiplayer games and custom controllers. We ultimately decided the best way to do this would be to jam over the same weekend as GGJ and hopefully have both events feed off each other.

Ideally we'd love to see a couple of GGJ submissions that could double as awesome multiplayer experiences for SFA. I know that (quite by accident) there were a ton of great, SFA-friendly titles that came out of the last Ludum Dare. If we come out of GGJ with a few more, we'll have an incredibly impressive selection of fresh South African games at our night!

Our jam is going to be a one day event, so possibly a nice alternative for people who can't commit to a full weekend jam. Otherwise, if you'll be at UCT, it'd be great to have you making something that people could play at the next SFA! The same applies for friends in Joburg, Durban or anywhere else for that matter!

I hope this decision to overlap jams won't mean too many broken hearts and that the two can synergize well. This is the best way we could work things given the circumstances and hope it still means we can be as inclusive as possible. For anyone able to join us, we've set up a facebook event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/812153125525081

Please join up so we have an idea of number and so you can keep track of details as they come together!

Here's to a most righteous weekend!
  • I just went on the website to double check everything and my name isn't on the list. I registered two weeks ago! D: Does anyone have a number for the UCT organiser? I don't want to get booted after driving all the way tomorrow. T_T
  • You can contact him on: patrick [at] cs [dot] uct [dot] ac [dot] za
  • You can contact him on: patrick [at] cs [dot] uct [dot] ac [dot] za
    Well, I emailed him. I hope he gets back to me :/

• @PietPompies I had the same thing, but figured out I messed up.
    I originally went to the Johannesburg Jam Site link on the page, then clicked register. Turns out that only registers your account on the GGJ site. You still have to log in after registration and click the "Join This Site" button/link for the appropriate jam site.
  • Lol I did do that, but I think there was some kind of timeout error. Anyhow Patrick got back to me and I'm sorted.
  • See you guys tonight! Gonna be a rad one! :D
  • edited
    So psyched right now. let's rock this weekend
    Thanked by 2dammit Squidcor
  • ;_; migraine/cluster headache may prevent me fully participating
  • Excite! I'm just upstairs from the CT venue, so shout if you get to UCT super early or if you're lost.

@dammit That sucks! I get those too. Hopefully you can still join tomorrow.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • I can only come around 8 today. Is that ok? What will I miss?
  • For those needing sound, I am offering my body and expertise...I'll swing by tomorrow to check out some of yo games! If anyone is interested please Pm me.
  • edited

We be jammin'
  • Dem screens must be bright :D

Good luck guys!
  • Although I couldn't participate much this was a good jam where we got the scope right. Still need practice on a better workflow but GitHub worked well for sharing the Unity3D project.
  • I got to take part betwixt bouts of work at home, made some art for @karuji and his crew
  • The next Global Game Jam has been announced January 29 - 31, 2016
  • Congrats to everyone who did #GGJ15! I'm marginally well rested now, and resting during the jam definitely helped. Myself and @LoetJVR made something of a physics crime resolution simulation game, we'll post it later. Still didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted so will be adding to it too.

Good one everyone!
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour
  • edited
    Massive Shoutout and thanks to Patrick, Sean and crew at UCT! The venue and hosting was great, the addition of the whiteboards to the venue really helped rapid communication and the job board helped open up the conversation and move it more around helping each other where we could rather than competing with each other.

I worked with people I'd never met and we didn't even know each others capabilities going in, and I think we're each pretty chuffed at the things we learned and did this weekend. It was such a fantastic jam experience. Good job everybuddy.