Bevis Sketchbook (May contain nudity, violence, LARGE images and beer)

edited in Portfolios
Heya!
Starting a new sketchbook! w00t!

Here's something I worked on last night for 3 hours or so in gamemaker. Thought I may as well start with something simple since this is my first attempt at learning how to actually make games! Dn't judge too harshly I'm still trying to figure out where to put the programmings :( c&c is obviously welcome as always!

http://www.freelives.net/garbagecollector/firstgame.exe

EDIT: Btw, scene as there are no signatures [ lame :) ], heres a link to my http://bevisart.tumblr.com thing, I was going to do an art dump but that would take pages and don't wana rash peoplese internets...
Thanked by 1mikegeyser

Comments

• MAN I wish I could just toss animation together like this :) Very adorable :)

Only comment I really have is that spacebar made the skeleton more bash his head than attack someone. I was really confused for a while :)

Yay for game maker :)
  • Thats pretty cool, I like the animation too. What sort of game are you making?
  • Awesome! Bring more artists into coding! Glad you decided to get started :P
  • Very cool sketch. :)
  • Game designers and programmers here should do more sketching too!
  • I wants those skeletons as a keyring, I just don't know how they would animate it!

Considering this is @bevis 's thread any chance we can get a sketchgroup going again ;)
  • Just had a quick play, this puts my sketching to shame by comparison ;)

I noticed that the length of time that I held down the spacebar had an effect on the enemy skeleton dying in 1 hit or 2. I assume that means you're doing damage every step while the spacebar is held down (short presses = 2 hits to kill) it might make sense to use a variable as a sort of refire timer to prevent hordes of damage happening like this.

It's not too hard, have some psuedocode:
    //start of everything:
    refire = 0;

//when space is pressed:
    if (refire == 0) {
      refire = refire + 30; //this should be 1 second's worth of steps if you're running at 30 steps per second
      do damage to enemies! (usually by creating a temporary object that collides with enemies and then deletes itself)
    }

//every step:
    if (refire > 0) {
      refire = refire - 1;
    }
  • Tuism - I'm by no means a pixel art guru, but a few people have said the same thing. Would it be helpful if I posted up videos of me working in photoshop? I can maybe add some commentary on my thoughts while working, but nothing hecktik.

edg3 - Thanks guy. Im not sure! I had an idea for a game called OneQuest a while back, where the game is basically a main quest from an rpg crammed into a 10 minute sidescroller. I might take a bash trying to prototype that while learning :).

Nandrew - YEA xD. thanks for the encouragement. A lot of artists do know how to code (badly), actionscript etc, its just a matter of actually getting over ourselves and starting something!

mikegeyser, BlackShipsFilltheSky - Interesting that you say sketch geyser, did you mean the whole thing is a sketch? Evan and I thought this was an interesting concept. More coders should sketch little ideas and post them. Not even full prototypes, but ideas for fun movement or shop systems, etc. I dunno if this already happens but I dnt think these sketches are quiet as visible as they should be.

Karuji - MERCHANDISING! Sketchgroup? I'll try get back on that, been so ridiculously busy lately soz.

dislekcia - That's awesome man thanks a lot. That's exactly what is happening. Actually have the same problem with the witch. A little speech bubble pops up above her head when you are over her, alerting you that you can buy things from her. But when you are over her it fires the speech bubble a bajillion times a second until you move away from her again. I'll try implement that idea of stopping the game from refiring something tonight.

Question: I am running at 10fps. So that obviously will change how many steps occur during the game? Will this affect things like jumping, so if I jump will it wait for the next step and won't be smooth ?

Ill post another build up just now! (dunno if I can call it a build a casio keyboard could build this silly "game")
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Witch? Am I missing something? All I'm getting are two skeletons holding swords, and you press spacebar and he bashes himself in the head, and you can kill the other skeleton with that.

And - I thought too that you meant that your whole thing is like a sketch :) It's your sketchbook after all :)

And yes a little vid about your pixel art would be amazing! :D
  • @bevis @tuism That was what I understood and meant it as, the whole thing. So I should have said 'sketch', which is an idea I really like - I often refer to bits of code as doodles. It's inspiring (by doing), will try and sketch/doodle/code (hey, that could make a cool passphrase) something..
  • @bevis unless you're using some form of fancy delta math yourself, Game Maker will do the same amount of work per frame no matter what your framerate will be. So going up to 30fps will make everything in the game happen three times faster, etc.
  • Oh, random tip: In the options/settings menu there should be a little checkbox that says "Interpolate colours between pixels" turn it off to get rid of bilinear filtering on your sprites when they're upscaled :)
    Thanked by 1bevis
  • edited
    Trying some things to the hyperknight's art done by Filip Orekov in my spare time this weekend for an hour or two.

• OH LORDY THEY'RE SO ADORABLE I'M GONNA HAVE TO MAKE MY OWN *SQUEEEEE*
  • oh sweet work!

I don't know if there is a more appropriate spot to drop this, but I recently found a nice concise blog post for setting up PS for pixel work: http://brandontreb.com/Configuring-Photoshop-For-Pixel-Art/ (paast the baby pictures)

• Tuism: Thanks guy!

damousey: Cool link :) for these guys I used 16 * 16 grid, I find the pixel grid just gets in the way most of the time on smaller sprites. More relavent for 32*32 and up if you wana be super accurate I think.

I also found that doing terrain stuff it was a bit of a hack to work the same way we do characters. So I use a lot of smart objects so when I update one sand block they all update. I can talk about that next wednesday as well maybe!
  • Fengol wanted some help/advice with pixel art a while back. He started a thread about it.
  • edited
    Are there mountable capybaras in Hyperknights? Can you summon lightning through interpretive dance? Do the codpiece demons feed on imagination and dreams to sustain their magicks? Is the guy with the crown actually drunk? Are the skeletons really punkrockers from the 80s? Can you toss the dwarves?

I expect real answers to these not-made-up questions!
    Thanked by 1mikegeyser
  • edited
    1) the capybara should mount you. They can spawn every 2 minutes ? For the loosing side...
    3) A troll with 2 raging monkeys on a leash...
    3) Terrain Test
  • Troll w/ 2 raging monkeys, you say? Score!
  • Wow dude, this stuff is amazing!
  • I want a raging monkey! Oh wait... I already have a two year old. Can I still have a leash?
  • @hanli Does that make you a troll?

*ducks*
  • Woah that's really cool Bevis! Wouldn't mind observing your workflow for animating sprites. Photoshop 32x32, different layers for frames and then saving one layer at a time, then making a sprite atlas in shoebox? there must be faster ways, I must know, please reveal the magic, also it will be awesome if you give a talk at the meet up!
    Monkeys on a leash are epic, love it.
  • edited
    sup, heres a thing. about 40 minutes of playing around. eyes are broken its late :S
  • I don't post / contribute enough :(, here's some shiz (has more at work will post some tommorowz)

• edited
    Stinkq concept for deathsmashers

Some progress on Bronan I did a while back (soz for crappy gif)
    Thanked by 2Douzeju Elyaradine
  • Some nice art work there.
  • edited
    aweh! new stuff! over the last month or so when ive had time :) c+c!:P

Thanked by 2Tuism Elyaradine
  • Gorgeous! :D

I dunno if this is a valid observation, but seems to me that the daft punk helmet thing is becoming a thing very quickly lately :)
  • So beautiful. <3
  • Thanks guys! DAMB YOU DAFT PUNKKKKKKKKK
    Also power glove seems to be coming back.
  • edited
    quickie, maybe 30 min / less
    Thanked by 2raithza Fengol
  • Bronan looks amazeballs! CC i'd offer is that he could be a bit difficult to read. So I'd nod at Valve's dota character guide re gradient from top to bottom so the top is lighter and you can read the character better. Of course that has a lot to do with their camera angle, though in this case the face being an area of visual interest it could perhaps stand out more, and the neck being less dark could help too.

But seriously awesome shiz regardless! :)
  • Hey man thanks for the crit! yea I didnt really get very far with the texture, he is kinda mono tone which would make him hard to read ingame i agree. (i wana finish him, but would rather work on broforce! :P)
  • made a quick thing before bed. bout 2 hours i think.
    512 diffuse and an alpha. 300 tris or something, w/e
    LATER ^_^
  • edited
    Heya, I haven't posted in a while :( I have lots of unfinished stuff to make up for lost time though. Would love some criticisms!
    Enter the Gundeon Logo I was commisioned to do by Devolver

Some Rough Sculpts

Sketching

Heman Crap

Yojimbrawl

Random Brawler we did

I did some of the art for Super Wolfenstein HD, The shovel, UI, ceiling and floor was BlackShips.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=82imuZJOafc

Zord game Stuff Done the same weekend as the random brawler above

Some Random sketches

Broforce Stuff

Dawid Strauss did these linework for this and I painted them up

More Random Stuff

Dunno If Ive double posted stuff, sorry if I have.
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine Gibbo
  • When I saw those dicks on the helmets of the Wolfenstein guards, I thought... yep, thats Bevis!
    Thanked by 1bevis
  • I just want to say that I did the shovel in Super Wolfenstein HD (that was actually my work)
  • haha, edited. <3
  • I just want to say that I did the shovel in Super Wolfenstein HD (that was actually my work)
    Don't forget the floor and the ceiling!

• made a thing last night
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Yeah I remember seeing that on your screen, great work!
  • A WIP of something I'm working on, still super rough. Hes gunna have a cape.
    imageimage
  • Timelapse of me doing some pixel art for broforce, makeing timelapse videos takes longer than actually doing the art :/ not edited very much so there might be a pause or two. <3
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • edited
    Thanked by 2Pomb Elyaradine
  • So many removed / missing images :(
    @Bevis, have you considered using imgur.com? It doesnt remove your images like the other places do.
  • Tried some AO painting but for pixel art, would be really cool for environment stuff, for colour grading.