Request: MGSA flyer/poster design

Comments

• Yay :) Though I wish it wouldn't auto-compress like that, is there a size for that it wouldn't auto-compress? Just wondering. No biggie though. Can we use the same for our Twitter icon and such? :)
  • edited
    @Tuism - Not that I know of. Sadly, I'm not an image person, and i wouldn't know a compressed logo from one that isn't :P

@Bensonance is the one in control of Twitter and Facebook, and I'm sure he'll get to update the logos on those platforms when he gets a breather :)

Edit.

On a general note, I'm really pleased that we'll have flyers going out that will bring people back to some social media pages that all look just like the flyers. This makes me really happy. Like, really happy.

So happy, that I've been sifting through the YouTube videos and creating playlists and updating their descriptions and titles. Not as much fun as it sounds cause the Tube can be clunky.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Let me just say: I love you guys :')
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    Any chance we can update the flyers to highlight the Meetup.com to get information about up-coming events? Between @Bensonance and I we must pre-load all the community events and confirmed events as soon as possible. A good example of a local, well updated Meetup is DeveloperUG who share Microsoft's offices with us in JHB on Community Night.

Don't forget to use the bit.ly link so you can track usage!
  • edited
    Not exactly sure what you mean, but what you're saying I should update a physical print file with information that you haven't created yet? What?

Put the meetup.com link ON THE HOMEPAGE instead of on a poster. That link can change. Print stuff wants to go somewhere iconic and permanent - bit.ly links generated per event is not permanent nor iconic and much less likely to get people to remember and act on.

Update the makegamessa homepage with the things you need. Event section.

Edit: I see the homepage is a textbook again. Noone will read all that, or rather, people won't be bothered to read, figure out and pick a link, and may get disinterested and leave.

Can we please work on something non-confusing?

Should I?
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Sorry, I must have been confused. I meant to say can we put http://meetup.com/Make-Games-Johannesburg/ and www.meetup.com/Make-Games-Cape-Town/ on the flyer? Those are permanent links.

Yes, the homepage is busy being updated.
  • OK I'll put them on, but they'll be tiny, and I doubt anyone will actually go to those instead of makegamessa.com, where they should go and find good happy buttons that say "JHB MEETUP DETAILS CLICK HERE" or some other such happy button :)
  • I am a fan of a single URL on a poster with big happy buttons. People gotta write that shit down slash remember it and one big URL works better for that :)
    Thanked by 3Tuism AlphaSheep hanli
  • I tried it and it cried kittens at me. What's the reasoning behind *having to* put those meetup links there? You'd rather people go to those secondary sites than go to makegamesSA.com?

Cos makegamesSA.com should be *the one takeaway*. Making people remember more or do more at a time simply doesn't work.
  • I've got to agree with @Tuism here. The problem with putting so many links on the flyer is that it creates this confused impression of us being not sure what we actually want them to do. What do we actually want here? They need to visit makegamessa.com and from there we can direct everyone to everything else

PS: Yes, the "textbook" on the homepage isn't actually for humans, it's for google. But I'm working with Fengol on making a humanised version :)

Oh, to be able to sit down with the team and work together on design, copy and tech. But alas, we must communicate via IM and google docs and sometimes we're not sure what it's going to look like til it's done and we're sneaking off to the forums during a work meeting instead of typing notes...
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Thanks for letting us humans know :)

(I'm still sick at home today, so incidentally...)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • edited
    Tuism said:
    Thanks for letting us humans know :)

(I'm still sick at home today, so incidentally...)
    :) Google cares very much about figuring out what your website is about so that they can show people that would be interested. The problem is trying to tell Google. And trying to still be appealing to humans. Got the second bit a bit wonky cause I didn't think about the size of the text - we probably need a designer more closely involved in this process...

The current thinking is reduce the text, include some more headings, and bring back the bigger buttons on the side :)

To be fair, at those people complaining about the homepage - very few people visit that page at all. Most traffic goes to particular forum posts :) But yes, for new visitors, we need to clearly direct them to our other assets and to the events and to the forum discussions.

Please be patient though - it is a work in progress!
  • If I might make a suggestion for the homepage:

Bullet point > paragraphs.

Also titles are important ;)
  • This makes me happy:

number one baby :)
    makegamesgooglesearch.png
    1024 x 494 - 47K
  • edited
    This makes me happy:

number one baby :)

:3 This makes me happy too. Especially when I checked in incognito mode - and it's still true!

...Still need to fix the search extensions though. But yes. Happy :D
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • edited
    Karuji said:
    If I might make a suggestion for the homepage:

Bullet point > paragraphs.

Also titles are important ;)
    I do love the bullet points - At the time of writing it didn't look like it would work so well. Will definitely look into it. But I think a better division of content with images/icons and headings will help the writing flow :)

Can I also point out that the whole website copy update document is an 11 page document - So there's a lot that is happening :)
  • When did that happen? :D Very well done guys :)
  • In any case we need much more headings and buttonage than paragraphs. Whether the text is cut down or not, it's the major headings that'll grab attention - and we need to pack a lot above the fold, so we need to actually pick the battles to fight and not try to fit EVERYTHING above the fold. People can scroll. But they won't read :P
  • Tuism said:
    In any case we need much more headings and buttonage than paragraphs. Whether the text is cut down or not, it's the major headings that'll grab attention - and we need to pack a lot above the fold, so we need to actually pick the battles to fight and not try to fit EVERYTHING above the fold. People can scroll. But they won't read :P
    Do you want to have a look at the text document and suggest where things would go?
  • edited
    Oh gods so much text.

I'll have a look. Can I do a wireframe layout?

What's the font you're using?
    We can change the right bar at will, right?
    Can we make more or less columns if we wanted?
  • Tuism said:
    Oh gods so much text.

I'll have a look. Can I do a wireframe layout?

What's the font you're using?
    We can change the right bar at will, right?
    Can we make more or less columns if we wanted?
    Wireframes? Yes, please, 100% go.

My personal thinking is that we should keep the home page consistent with the rest of the site - spacing and columns wise.
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • edited
    BTW, I thought O week was this past week and why the urgency - when was the poster stuff meant for?
  • What the hell is Dr Newton's Maths Wiz?

I still have some trickery up my sleeve before Tuism re-builds the homepage; and there are a couple of gotchas because you have to combine the custom page plugin and theme.
    proof.png
    772 x 630 - 65K
  • Dr Newton's Maths Wiz was one of the prototypes here, it was among the most complete, actually :) why?

And yeah I searched a bunch of combinations and looks like we're firmly up there :) I think "sa game dev jobs" and "sa game companies" could do with some SEOing tho nothing major. And I see sagamedev.co.za is still hitting, lol :p

And yeah would be nice to get the requirements down one go :) can the old one not be put up in the meantime with the new shiny SEO text incorporated in tags or under the content which will still work for SEO purposes? Just for now.
  • Went for some Google Minus Google searches:

How can I make games in south africa,
    where can I learn to make games in south africa,
    Some other similar wordings that I cannot remember.

Tops on all of them ;)
  • edited
    Fengol said:
    What the hell is Dr Newton's Maths Wiz?
    To get rid of that link, you need to try demoting it: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/47334?hl=en
  • @dammit, done! Let's see if it works
  • @Tuism "BTW, I thought O week was this past week and why the urgency - when was the poster stuff meant for?"
    I just used one of the first ones :P Not yet polished, but good enough for an emergency. :)
  • I just placed some posters around UCT, thanks very much!
  • @Tuism - Any chance we can get a YouTube background and matching header?
  • Huh, I'm pretty sure I've done one already, isn't the channel art the one?
  • @Tuism - Epic fail. I was thinking Twitter, and somehow typed Youtube...
  • Ah. Will do... later :P