[EVENT] UCON Cape Town (Anime and gaming convention) [1st] 14-15 Sept

Comments

• Our PCs that we're bringing both have Windows and our game runs fine on Linux, so if necessary we can swap. Not sure precisely what requirements ours needs as both our PCs are pretty decent, but the full version runs (a little slowly) on a Nexus 7 which has 2GB RAM and a 1.5GHz quad-core processor with an Adreno 320 400MHz GPU.
  • Ok awesome thanks
  • Listen, if anyone has an extra pc they wish to bring along to showcase the games please do. I just found out that the sponsor that was well, sponsoring the pc's, just pulled out (giving some obscure excuse). So right now, any help would be appreciated

(Wow this is looking really looking unprofessional/bad ;(...bleak )
  • edited
    Oh that sucks :( Sorry Squigy. Not unprofessional for you, but certainly bad form from the sponsor!

We've got a laptop, netbook and android tablet we can bring. The laptop and netbook aren't great though, they won't run anything that has heavy system requirements. Oh, and they're both Linux >.<

Edit - sending out some feelers. It's a long shot but maybe I can round something up.
  • Be careful bringing things like tablets and laptops to events. I'm not maligning UCT students or the organisers, but shit like that can walk in a single second of inattention :(
  • In lieu of having a bunch of PCs are there any board games from the meets that could attend? Bring scatter cushions and have everyone chilling out on the floor proper 'indie style'. ;p
  • Ok, cool thanks guys

We are able to gather about 4 laptops from my side

@dislekcia: I hear what you say bru. We might have work computers coming from in from a business from a friend (still waiting for a reply)

Board games: F***ing A ^^
  • I dunno if I'm going to be able to make it - recovering from thursday's operation means I'm up at crazy times... Like now.

I'll try to be there at some point if I can. Maybe someone else from QCF can make it.
  • @dislekcia We'll let peeps know. Lots of last minute scrambling going on at the moment. :)
  • I'll have you know that neither of us have slept since 8am yesterday! :p
  • Hey guys super sorry about this but I feel dreadfully ill :( been in bed for the last 12 hours, may come up on Sunday to support makers Eden!
  • Ah don't worry, feel better soon!
  • Spoke with Squigy, if you can get us the build we can run it for you :)
  • OH MY GOD SO TIRED. So yesterday we got up at 8am and we kinda only had four hours sleep that night because our cats are demonic-furballs-with-legs sometimes. Jaco went off to work and I pottered around the house a-la-zombie doing nothing much. He got home from work around 7pm, we ate, he worked on polishing up the current playable build of our game in preparation for UCON. He called it quits at 3am and we went to bed. 5am we were still awake staring at the ceiling for some unknown yet highly irritating reason, so I went in the bath and stayed there until 6 and then, feeling quite awake, started packing up the PCs for UCON. About 7am Jaco got up and joined me, but he'd only really been dozing. We left the house around 7:30am, stopped at a garage for coffee and a croissant, got to UCON.

AMAGAD FUN TIMES!

So awesome seeing people playing our game.

About 1pm my adrenaline gland squeezed out its last drop of juice and I returned to zombie state. It hit Jaco around the same time. Things were getting a bit quieter in the hall so we packed up at 3pm and I left a 'back tomorrow, weeee!' note on the table (but it had a few more Es than that, I think...).

First con for me, first con for our game company ScrewyLightbulb, first con for our game The Maker's Eden. Best con so far, for sure :P I'll be making a proper blog post with highlights and 'things we learned to do for the next con' and stuff when I'm more awake. Also I took pics, I'll upload those and post at some point.

But now, I collapse. Kbai.
    Thanked by 2Tuism Nandrew
  • Wrote up a blog post on the TME site about our adventures at UCON, with some pics - http://makerseden.screwylightbulb.com/?action=view&url=uct-anime-and-games-convention

I'll be writing a second post, on my own blog, about general con experience (it being my first con); things I took and didn't use, things I wished we had, things I took that came in handy, etc. I'll link that too when it's done. :)
  • Was good to meet you and Jaco there, but was a shame not more people could make it....was hoping to play a few more games. I'm glad to see this event and would like to help SA Cape Town grow and built to even greater heights than rage!

I can practice now on hosting my 10year university reunion in 2014 first hmm.

Your game looks stunning, but I do think you should consider making the whole popup image clickable instead of just the text...but then you do want text selection for different storylines. So maybe test this as its the main mechanics, with a few people playing it.

I was only at the event Saturday until 12pm, hopefully I will play my own games at next years one.

So when is the next expo?
  • Added a few more pics to the post, and a little video.

@Boysano - yes, we do need to tweak the text on the popups; both making the 'click' more apparent, and making them go away when you click off them. We've had loads of different feedback on the popups as well as some people thinking they're fine as they are, so whatever we implement it won't make everyone happy :D As long as it's clearly apparent what to do, works fine, and looks pretty, I'll be happy. ^.^

Dislekcia came along today for a couple of hours and we had Desktop Dungeons running on one of the PCs, but yeah it's a shame there weren't more people (and that the PC sponsor cancelled! Boo hiss!). Would have been great to have a variety.

Moar local cons/expos please!!
  • Yar, sorry I could only manage a little bit of time today. Totally shattered by the time I got home :(
  • @dislekcia Yeah you didn't look too well! :( Hope you feel better soon and give the gerbil his cheek back ;)