Viscera Cleanup Detail

Comments

• Congratulations, this is great.
  • edited
    I'll just leave this here:

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!! Must be some kind of record time or something :)

(dunno why the img tag isn't working with my dropbox files)
    congrats_viscera.JPG
    962 x 826 - 103K
  • Just saw this... Kinda speechless :P

Thanks ya'll :)
  • Sweet! Congrats :D
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • Awesome news guys. Gtz :D
  • Congratulations guys
  • Just need to say well done as well!
  • Thanks you guys :)
  • Excellent stuff!
  • Rockest thou on, fellows. \m/
  • Karuji said:
    (I'll place my bet on the next 2 batches)
    I really should have put money on it!

But major congrats on getting through :D Kinda curious what this means for Rooks Keep though.
  • Heh :)

As for RK, we'll support it where it needs it and still attempt to get word of it around. It is clear that we need to focus on VCD for the time being though ;)
  • ShadowBlade said:
    It is clear that we need to focus on VCD for the time being though ;)
    I'm curious as to how far you intend taking it. Right now I think the features you're adding seem like they'll pay dividends (like the ability to play multiplayer with a friend definitely improves the youtube-ness of the game)... but at what point do you consider a game like this feature complete?

I'm curious because I actually don't know. Games like Octodad are fairly light in features (it just sets up a series of entertaining situations). But a lot of simulator games are just one level and one situation (like surgeon simulator), and you've already surpassed that point.

So I'm not too sure where you're headed with this. It seems like your proposed features are going to be adding more depth to the Doom cleanup simulation. And if that allows you to produce a few more humorous situations there that should add value to the game (and hopefully some more youtube free marketting).

But I'd guess that eventually the design cost of adding more depth to the Doom cleanup simulation will get quite high.

And then the other thing that I'd imagine could add a lot more value, but cost a LOT of time in content production, is other themed cleanup scenarios... like a Team Fortress cleanup scenario... or maybe you could use your medieval assets to make a medieval cleanup scenario (like a Warcraft cleanup parody).

So I'm wondering what the eventual game is intended to look like. I think you're in a position to do very well regardless of what how far and which direction you take the game in. You're going to get the game on Steam, and it seems like a large portion of the people who see the game (even in this early stage) are interested in paying money for it (though you'd know better than me how sales and views and votes are doing)...

Sorry... that turned into a very long question.
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • Map creator. FTW. Let other people make WoW cleanup levels and stuff, win universe.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    Well if you are going to implement a story line, where you follow and clean up after the hero who killed the aliens, maybe it would be an interesting idea to hint that there is still an alien left (with sounds, shadows,etc), and then either let him chase you now and again (you can't fight of course)... or alternatively leave the audience hanging (as in there isn't actually anything, or not that you ever discover). Could add some suspense to the cleaning... but this may be completely not where you wanted to take this I assume?
  • Go full on Space Quest. Roger Wilco constantly ended up breaking shit instead of repairing it. :D
  • Seriously, you've got access to Steam Cloud and the whole user-uploaded content thing. Ride that wave!
  • Hell yes to map editor! That's something we'll be adding for the full thing without a doubt ;)

@BlackShips. Heh, thanks for all that :P
    As for where we want to take it, well then..
    The game will be built around a select few maps/areas of stereotypical environments (Medical bay, Dig site, Infested facility, etc) and each of those will offer slightly varying gameplay still rooted in the "clean this shit up" premise. There will be no big elaborate action sequences where you need to chase after the hero or during live alien invasions (the effort, gah!!). We'll be polishing up the basics as well (blood will take a bit more than a 'stab' to clean), better MP syncing, better interaction between hands and objects, play up the environmental storytelling aspects (witness what happened in retrospect), and maybe even squeeze in a few references ;)
    There are only a few more "permanent" mechanics we want to add, and a bunch of smaller ones that will be more map specific (cut up large bits and corpses, spray away infestation mess, fix broken things, etc).

Hope that answers something :P
  • An idea: Is it possible to *really* read the state of a level or a "snapshot" (not gfx, but of gamestate) of a real game, say, quake 3, or unreal, or whatever, and export it to VCD? Probably too ambitious, but it'll let people play a game of *whatever*, export it and clean up that level after XD
  • Hehe, while a neat idea in theory, I cringe at what kind of sorcery would need to be employed to make that happen :D
    We'll just add mod support and let someone else ponder the effort involved in such an undertaking :P
  • So, long time no news, but now, big news!

We've been working with Devolver Digital to create a mini-game of "Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior"! You get it for free when you buy Shadow Warrior, but we'll probably be releasing this ourselves down the line too ;)

It's been a very interesting experience seeing bits of the publishers side and how things role there. We had to be quiet for one :P

Anyway, yay! And now back to work on the full VCD! :)
  • +10000000 for marketing hype win! :D
  • Haha, I love the music! Good job guys!
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • That's really cool.
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • I would love to hear about how this one came about! Did you approach them? Did they approach you? Did you guys get all their assets? What were the expectations? How did you hooky up? It's super interesting! :)
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • Thanks guys! :)

@Tuism: It all started with this: https://twitter.com/ForkParker/status/355168422096666625
    Then this: https://twitter.com/ForkParker/status/355374193455538178

We worked out the specifics and terms and such, got the required assets for the environment and so forth from Devolver and Flying Wild Hog, and iterated plenty. We topped out at around 3 hours playtime which was too much, so we had to remove quite a bit of mess :P

And now we are here :D
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • SOOOOOOOO jealous that you guys are working with devolver! If you get any advance copies of Hotline Miami 2 you HAVE to send one my way :)
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • Flippin' AWESOME dudes! Well done, that's brilliant.
    Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • Many more thanks! :)

@raithza: Haha, we shall have to see. Devolver seemed quite enthusiastic about the practical applications of VCD to other IP ;)
  • THAT IS SOOOOOOO COOOOOL :D
  • Woot :D

Also VCD Hotline Miami 2, I am calling it now ;)
    Thanked by 2ShadowBlade Fengol
  • @ShadowBlade pity you could not secure this song :)

Thanked by 1ShadowBlade
  • Hey hey!

We're preparing to release VCD on Early Access, but testing the Steam networking funk is proving difficult.
    Is there anyone here who can help us out?
    We need to run tests on the Steam connection jazz and being able to test it out connecting with people in the same country would be ideal.
  • I think something as important as this warrants its own thread @DarkCarnivour so that it doesn't get lost down here! Shout and beg and shout loudly some more to get as many people as you can helping!!!
  • Congrats on the Early Access launch :D
  • Thank you :)

Now just to finish it...
    With any luck we'll have enough time to get a few other things into the light of day as well.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    Congrats!! You guys have made it nearly as far as anyone from South Africa has in game development. Viscera Cleanup Detail is a phenomenal achievement!

I hope you feel as super stoked as we feel for you! (hopefully more so)
  • That's.. very nice of you! :)

Best of luck with the Broforce launch, it's gonna be big!
  • Viscera's in the top 20 sellers on Steam atmo :)

How are those refreshing fingers?
  • Haha!
    Limiting myself to only look once or twice a day ;)
  • It took the crazyness of GDC before I noticed that I hadn't checked the Steam backend for an entire day :)

Hope it's kicking ass for you!
  • Honestly, I let Arn look at that and tell me when he feels like it.
    When VCD was on GreenLight, I refreshed just about every 5 minutes, but not really since. It's odd.
    Actually, everything about this is odd. It feels very odd, how much and how little this has changed our lives. There's probably a lot that deserves to be said about it all, but I don't even know what to make of it.

This is after years of kind of never having much and being torn between perusing game dev vs a lot of conventional voices pulling the other way. This is like the ultimate redemption for our crazy decisions, but it just doesn't feel like much at all.
    All the things that were a seemingly impossible struggle for years just disappeared.
    Maybe the biggest change is that I used to feel ashamed of having only 3 T-shirts good enough to be seen by other people, now I don't care because my crappy stuff no longer reflects the truth.
    ...also, I bought a whole stack of new T-shirts like a real hillbilly! :D
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine tbulford
  • Yup, the change from when your game was a thing you kept pouring time and money into, to it somehow magically racking up money for you while you're not awake is a big one. Wait till 2 months time and the payment comes in from Valve, then things will really feel weird again because the numbers will be familiar and you'll have had time to adjust to the idea. Kinda.

Also, get a financial advisor. Even if you're not suddenly a millionaire (I know I'm not) it's still incredibly useful to know what options you've got available to try and secure your financial position better.
  • to it somehow magically racking up money for you while you're not awake
    AND IT'S NOT EVEN FINISHED YET.

:D :D :D
    Thanked by 1DarkCarnivour
  • dislekcia said:
    Wait till 2 months time and the payment comes in from Valve, then things will really feel weird again because the numbers will be familiar and you'll have had time to adjust to the idea. Kinda.
    Actually, we're already there. Santa's Rampage was on Steam in December and it was quite something. Even before that, VCD was making life changing (for us) moves just sold through the Humble Widget.
    dislekcia said:
    Also, get a financial advisor. Even if you're not suddenly a millionaire (I know I'm not) it's still incredibly useful to know what options you've got available to try and secure your financial position better.
    Yeah. We're gradually getting through all the other red tape.
    AND IT'S NOT EVEN FINISHED YET.
    Crazy. I do wonder, though, how much difference that makes these days?