[Event] Indie Speed Run 2013 JHB - 14-15 Sept

edited in Events
So many of you may have heard of Indie Speed Run (www.indiespeedrun.com), but for those of you that haven't it's basically a game jam like Global Game Jam. The difference is that there are registration fees to be paid, which are then used as prizes for the winning game. In previous years the game jams have been run as purely online events but this year they want to have physical locations. The hosts of these locations are chosen by invite only and because I ran the GGJ JHB site this year they asked me whether I would like to run the site. The event can take place anytime from mid-July to the end of September, so I figured that we could make it coincide with the AMAZE Jam which, I assume, will happen some time in August. So basically anyone taking part in the Indie Speed Run at the JHB location would have something to submit for the AMAZE Jam but since ISR is a paid-for event, it's not compulsory and you can still take part in the AMAZE Jam. I don't know what everyone's opinions are on this but I think it would be pretty cool... Another thing about making it coincide with AMAZE Jam is the fact that some of the CT guys may be coming out for AMAZE and it would be pretty awesome to jam with you guys.

FEEDBACK PLEASE

Indie Speed Run 2012 and local news article.

Comments

• Sounds awesome!

Amaze Festival Johannesburg is from September 3 to September 7 in case no-one knows (I don't know if it has been advertised yet). I image the Amaze Jam should be the weekend before that?
  • Honestly I'd prefer not to have both jams on the same weekend - I mean, instead of having made two games, during two separate Jams we'll have made one?

It'll also kind of warp the idea of the Amaze Jam, which is to make games related to the Amaze Festival, Johannesburg, and the African context - at least that's what I perceived it to be about?

I would attend both Jams if they were on separate dates because: more Jams = more games = more skillz.
  • Well I'm not sure how many jams ProjectX feels like he has the time (or resources) to organize. But if he does organize just the one local jam it is still possible to make two games. The Indie Speed Run doesn't tie anyone to specific dates.
  • I don't mind having two jams... I'll run ISR and maybe Hanli can run AMAZE... I just thought it would be cool to combine teams from CT and JHB for ISR
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Hey All,

Amaze is scheduled to run in the first week of September, but it has not been advertised yet. I am holding off on advertising until we have a better sense of what funding is available and what Thorsten would like to do curatorially. I am hoping that he will get back to me soon so that we can let people know what's happening.
    Assuming every thing goes to plan, the Amaze jam would be held on the weekend of the 31 August to the 1st of September.
    I will be running that, with help from @Bensonance and Bradley. It will take place in the Digital Arts lab, in Braamfontein.

I agree with Ben that the point of the Amaze jam is to make games related to Amaze in an African context, so I am not sure how these would fit together? I will check with Thorsten as to his thoughts on the matter as well.

Either way, @ProjectX you are welcome to use our labs for the jam at any time. We will give you any help that you need in the running of it as well.

Best

Hanli
  • Sigh - I've been writing official emails all morning. I'm in official "hey all" and "best Hanli" mode :/
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • lol :)

Best

Steven
  • Hi guys the official available dates are as follows:

September 7,8;

September 14,15;

September 21,22;

September 28,29.

Please tell me if you'd like to participate (remember that there is a registration fee of $25). Also what weekend is best.
  • Dollars or Rands?
  • We had two entries last year in Indie SpeedRun. It was great fun and good team building. Does this mean this year only one entry per person?
  • Okay. I've made the decision September 14, 15 it is. By the way, it works different to last year and you have to be with a registered location to participate.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Is this still happening and do we have to be at the venue to participate? Where is the venue?

I read the rules for this year there is nothing about having to be at a venue

http://www.indiespeedrun.com/devsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=5

We are planning one entry at least might be fun to pull a double like last time we cant do that in the same weekend.
  • Not sure if anyone else is doing the ISR this year. We are just getting our final team together.
    Okay. I've made the decision September 14, 15 it is. By the way, it works different to last year and you have to be with a registered location to participate.
    I have emailed the organizers you can still take part from any location. So this means if we host here in JHB people in the rest of South Africa can still take part. You do not need to be at a registered location. I still think it would be great to have one though.

Travis
  • I'm still confused about the costs and it caters for. There's a big difference between R40 and $40
  • There is a $25 entry fee per title you enter. Not sure where the 40 you mentioned comes from\.
  • So I'm almost certainly going to take part again this year. Who else is planning on being there?
  • I am keen still not sure of timing lots on the go around then.
  • I'm still waiting on @hanli for confirmation that we can use the Wits Game Lab... but the site is registered.
  • Game Lab Confirmed :P
  • We will be doing this on September 27,28 its the only time I can get everyone in one place for 24hours.

Was going to skip it but the recent announcements on new judges and all the effort they have put in brought me back. Although only one entry this time.
  • Going to be fun :D
  • edited
    @hanli/@ProjectX, will we have some internet access, or do we need to organize that ourselves?

@tbulford, everyone that is available can always just come and join us individually. I'm pretty sure there can be teams formed there as well. :) It's a good chance to get to know other devs and work with them on no stress projects. :)
  • @Rigormortis we going to be doing it from here since we starting friday done want to move everything around half way through.

Might pop by on Sunday with some coffee :)
  • I know the dates state Sep 14, 15 but we will be starting on Friday at 5pm and ending on Sunday at 5pm.
  • Hi. The ISR caught my interest a while back, but I'm not sure it'd be useful or efficient to have a team member dedicated to creating music and sound assets. Although, I can work pretty quickly...what's the opinion on that? Anyone done it before?
  • It would be incredible to have a guy shared between a couple of teams doing sounds, if you can handle it :) The plan *is* to have a single venue for the Jam, so I think that's a great idea to try!
  • Damn guys I really wanna make this jam to do sound but I'm so poor right now it's really not funny ;/ ... (as if it ever was). Otherwise I would be so there...
  • Right, if anyone happens to read this, and is at the thing tonight, and is not ProjectX, then please ask ProjectX if he's seen the tardy-but-pertinent PM I've sent him here. Ta. :)
  • Yo. No one really pitched besides @Bensonance and @rigormortis. I think I'm going to stick to running Global Game Jam... It seems to be the only jam that people bother to attend or RSVP. @Ant: I did sms the number you sent me. I hope you got the msg.
  • Ah, that's a bit disappointing, I'm sure. Didn't get an sms though; woulda replied!
  • We start our run on Monday morning 6am sharp :D