2012 Indie Speed Run

http://www.indiespeedrun.com/devsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

(It's a competition running from 26th November to 6th January where you have 48 hours to make a game. It seems a lot more prestigious than most of these things.)

Comments

• Came here to post this, but you beat me to it ;) . Anyone wanna team up?

Paid entry for a game jam is weird, but the upside potential of publicity plus prizes is fairly huge!
  • This looks so cool! I love the mechanic!

Hit start
    you are given a few random elements (sound effect, word, image, something) which must go into your game
    you have 2 days - go!

Would be great to plan a full weekend to work on this. Much fun :)
  • Love the concept, and it seems pretty legit, just look at the judges, however the entry fee may just be enough for me not to compete in this.
  • Is anyone in Joburg interested in setting 2 days aside and getting together in a venue, and hitting start together for a proper, timed 48 hour jam? Me n @Rigormortis has been playing around with the idea.

Most likely dates is the weekend - 21-23 december, as that's in everyone's holiday (if you're not going away). Weekends before that are also possible but I got work so I might feel like death after :P
    Thanked by 1Tachyon
  • @tuism - yeah i'm off from the 8th and keen to start getting involved now that major work projects are drawing to a close.
  • I can dedicate 48 hours some time in the next 2 weeks if someone wants to team up.
  • Looks great, thanks for bringing this to our attention Tuism :)
  • to be fair @blackshipsfillthesky bought it to our attention :) Really dig the mechanic of it :)
  • We going to start a 48h project tomorrow morning for the Indiespeedrun. Going to be a lot of fun.

Anyone else entering?
  • edited
    @tbulford, Tuism and myself are going to enter. But we are aiming to do it the weekend of the 21st/22nd about. We are planning to hash out the details tonight. But it would be cool to see what you guys come up with. How big is your team and what tools and stuff are you planning on using? :)
  • I was planning on starting a run today, but work has scuppered that idea. Probably going to start tomorrow in that case.
  • edited
    Word of warning, once you upload your game, be prepared to provide a game description, title image, (up to 3) screen shots. Wasn't prepared for that in my sleep deprived state. And so far it seems it's not possible to edit it once you've submitted. Have contacted the organisers asking about this though...

All in all was a very rad jam. My concept was Evolution. My element was throne. So I made T.H.R.O.N.E. (The Home Research and Observation of Nano-life Experiment). Basically it's a microbial toilet simulator! Can't wait till the free play part of the competition in Jan so I can show everyone.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Hey @Rigormortis,

Team was 4. We planning a 2nd run so everyone can have a go. Our them was Electricity and the element was Gnomes.

We built a multiplayer co-op shooter where the gnomes were fighting off a bunch and now sentient electrical machines. Was
    out first run at something like this will definitely schedule time differently next time.

The multiplayer should cope with 20-40 players on lan but since we had a team of 4 who can really tell. Will be fixing it up and releasing it free after the comp closes.

Good luck and have fun :)
  • Opps forgot to answer the tools question.

We built the game on the same j4game platform Toxic Bunny was built on. (or should I say was built to build Toxic Bunny).

Graphics was Photoshop and Rhino.

We did finish with a java2exe compiler called Excelsior. An exe is just easier to distribute. There was also a MAC and various weird ass musician stuff plugged into it 'Korg' and stuff. :) just sound effects never really got a good soundtrack.

Would love to hear about your submission @TheFuntastic
  • Planning to start our run Saturday first thing. Wish us luck, we're gonna need it.
    NO. CONFIDENCE DENIES THE NEED OF LUCK.
    F it we're just gonna have fun :)
  • Its been a while since I've been active on some gaming forums :P Im planning to do this this weekend with Insomniac and 2 other guys that I work with!

Super keen :D
  • Ok the games are up,

Out entries were

Thunder Gnomes
    Throne

Would love to check out the other makegamessa crowds entries too. Let us know which ones they are.

• edited
    Hey @tbulford, the game we made is called "We so Lost". We made a sperate thread post here :) And there is another called Throne as well, also has a seperate entry. I'm not sure if it's the same one you mentioned...? EDIT: the other game is actually called T.H.R.O.N.E :P

Edit2 : For convenience...

We So Lost
    T.H.R.O.N.E
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • Ah cool you also got the same element :)

Downloading them now.
  • Are you talking about Throne? It's not actually a game we made. I think it's @theFuntastic 's game...I probably explained it bad :P The one @Tuism and I made is the We so Lost one :)
  • T.H.R.O.N.E was my effort ;) thanks for linking for me! :D
  • I don't understand why there is no place for comments on the site. I thought that there would at least be some sort of community style feedback.
  • Cool enjoyed throne quite addictive.

I managed to make a game in We So Lost. Wish I could play it now :p

• T.H.R.O.N.E throne not Throne. Kinda ironic two SA teams have a game with the same name at the end of it all.
  • Very cool! :)