How much have you thought about analog sticks?

Not enough.

You should read this and think about them more. Much more.

Having never used the input systems available on the Unity Asset Store, I have no idea how much they implement this sort of thing. If they do, hopefully this makes random-appearing values make more sense when you use them. If they don't, time to start making your own asset to add on top ;)

Comments

• I'm surprised he left out accounting for the difference between true up on a controller and the feeling of up on a controller (because most peoples' thumbs are not vertically aligned with the controller).
  • I'm surprised he left out accounting for the difference between true up on a controller and the feeling of up on a controller (because most peoples' thumbs are not vertically aligned with the controller).
    Good point. I think that should probably be a setting you get to choose as a player though, most games "teach" you where up really is and it would be confusing to have that move around for different games.
  • edited
    @dislekcia Yeah. It's definitely something I crucially need to do in that drunk driving game of mine. (because it requires up and left or right to be pressed simultaneously to accelerate and turn, and it currently feels much easier to turn right than left, though given the nature of the game players currently forgive or even appreciate the bad controls).

I think figuring out player up is something that could be done in a calibration dialogue, though maybe it can be done dynamically/intelligently...