The Story OF Kennuck

edited in Projects

I would like to share the latest developments on a video game i am
involved with, called The Story of Kennuck.

The Story of Kennuck is a steampunk inspired adventure game, which takes
place during the steam revolution of a fictional planet. The player will
have the chance to explore and engage in the world during this steam
power revolution.

Gameplay will consist of: 3rd person adventuring, steam vehicle racing,
steam vehicle assembly , exploration of hazardoes enviroments, all while
guiding the character through the trials of being a steam vehicle owner.
We are currently a team of two, and hope to have a solid experience for
the players out there.

This game is being developed in 3D Rad by myself , Kulu, NicusorN5 and Bartyrocks3 .

We hope you enjoy the journey of development with us and would
appreciate any feedback on our progress.

First Early development footage :
Thanked by 1texhkt

• Considering your previous project, Caged Photon and now this, I'm honestly getting a vibe that you are creating art rather than games, it just has that very abstract art feel to it. Not really sure which way you should go as this style is very rare, but you might have something here. You could always up the quality of assets a bit, was going to suggest a story of some sort, but for this vibe, you might not even need an active one. Good luck.
    Thanked by 1Kulu
  • Thanks Critic. what a wonderful comment . much appreciated. We are still in very early stage of development. will definitely share the story as it develops.
  • This looks really rad with a neat aesthetic, can't wait to see some more gameplay. Best of luck.
    Thanked by 1Kulu

• Thanks Wakintosh.

Development is going very slow on this end. Im busy with other small projects at the same time. But i hope to do a bulk of work during the December period. For now , you can have a look at a small clip of a flying creature, which will be part of a nomadic tribe of people, who breed these flying creatures.

Below you can have a look at some other models that are going to feature in the game.

An all terrain Steam Vehicle for exploring extremely hazadoes enviroments

A Flying Creature with little boy concept

So Im planning to have other challenges for the player as well including extreme weather conditions to cope with.

1280 x 1196 - 647K
    1280 x 720 - 303K
    1280 x 720 - 415K
    Dragon and rider concept pen drawing SMALL.png
    1000 x 1116 - 707K
    Dragon and rider concept SMALL.png
    1000 x 1116 - 756K
    Dragon and rider concept colour SMALL.png
    1000 x 1116 - 1M
    Thanked by 2konman texhkt
  • Looks pretty. I'd rather see gameplay though.
    Thanked by 1Kulu
  • Thanks Tuism. Ive got a concept level/prototype up and running. I just need the go ahead from my co-devs to share it.
  • Mediocre at most.
  • Keen to see that level/prototype you mentioned @Kulu

Is the flying creature from the same game as the diesel-punk flying contraption?
    Thanked by 1Kulu
  • @EvanGreenwood . im still slowly working on the first level or environment, just trying to get the go ahead to release more stuff. The flying creature is part of Story Of kennuck . gonna put them in there somehow. i dont want to reveal much at this point, since its still very early. but i know what direction i want to go , and all the mechanics i want to add. And the baked shadows method works well for keep the FPS up.
  • Hi. Im just sharing some of the latest developments with Story Of Kennuck. the renders are a typical "isolated cabin in the woods" concpet Ive been working on. Im gonna take it over to the game engine soon. But I dont know if I will be able to get the same exact look , but I will try anyways. all feedback welcome. Im using Blender to generate all the models.

render 6 small.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 537K
    render 5 small.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 835K
    Thanked by 1texhkt

hello. its been a while. I would like to invite you to try a concept level for Story Of kennuck.

On the development side. i have run into my first hurdle , which i think i can remedy with a bit more ram. my scebnes are planned to have lots of game objects and meshes , and my current rig is failing to accomodate the amount that the levels have to be populated. So please have a try and provide feedback of any issues or suggestions you may have.

happy festive to everyone. :P)
  • Hi . From another forum I was told that this build of the game crashes in most scenarios. Will adjust and post again in the new year. sorry for any disappointment. laters

Hi again. ive taken all the feedback into account and tried to adjust the levels so that they run , even on an Intel HD GFX . Ive also added the option to disable bloom . if you are still keen to try the game , it can be found at the above link. happy New Year, and all the best for the new season.
  • Happy New Year MGSA!!
  • edited
    Hey, I played a little, some thought are below.

[-]Launcher is a bit strange, if you want to play windowed it doesn't allow resolution picking.
    [-][Alt+Tab] seems to kill the game.
    [-]Your shortcut for controls mapping is too complex, it's a three key combo, you can easily just bind it to escape or one of the F keys.
    [-]WASD keys do nothing, instead you are using arrow keys for movement, you could make a double binding as WASD is traditionally used for FPS like controls.
    [-]Would be nice to have some sound.
    [-]Camera is very awkward, it clips and doesn't handle rotation properly.
    [-]Stairs don't work.
    [-]Character walk animation clips through the ground.
    [-]There seems to be no collision detection for anything but the ground.
    [-]I'm on a GTX960 and it's evident that FPS is not near 60 and that the refresh rate is not stable, not sure why as the assets seem very light on resources.
    [-]You have a lot of keys defined for different interactions, you can use a single key like [E] and make it context sensitive. For instance instead of having separate mount and unmount keys, bind it to the same key and detect which action needs to take place.

There is some nice artistic flavor to the prototype, but you need to fix the technical things first before going deeper into gameplay. On the gameplay side, I had no idea what to do or where to go.
  • Thanks critic. Im still working on this level. I just wanted to show my progress. There is nothing to do at this stage in the game. Ive managed to lower the poly count since the latest posted build. Im adding NPCs now and soon will add missions and dialogue. thanks for the feedback on the controls as well, will try and simplify them in future builds.

Hi . here is the latest build of Story of kennuck. Ive split the interior of the buildings and the exterior town into two seperate levels. ive also added a bunch of NPC characters. There is a building with a door that should alow you to get to the interior building level. Development still going slow , because ive got other things im working on . Have a go at the link . it should run , even on a intel HD gfx setup ( just disable bloom and run at lower resolution)
  • A viewport screenshot of another animal that i want to add to Story of Kennuck. image
    screen shot 1.jpg
    808 x 522 - 391K
    Thanked by 2konman texhkt

This is the latest build of the game . Ctrl+Shift+F9 to configure controls . all comments welcome
  • I'm getting a general error message saying "application unable to start correctly". Am I the only one? Would like to give it a go.
  • You need Microsoft visual c++ 2005 runtimes and directx 9b to run this game. those are the requirements of the 3d rad engine
  • I've got newer versions of both. Or am I missing the point?
  • You need the specified runtimes. wont help if you have the latest runtimes
  • I'm on widows 7. Is it possible for me to uninstall DirectX 11? DirectX 9.0b doesn't want to install because a newer version is being detected...
  • I dont know if that will help. usually all you have to do is install the c++ 2005. runtimes. have you tried it on another computer?
  • Have installed c++2005 but game still doesn't want to launch.
  • okay I'll try and figure it out. what are your pc specs?
  • Oh damn this looks fantastic! I haven't been able to try it out since right now I only have my weakling of a macbook with me but can't wait to try it. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what atmosphere you have going on in the game. Love the music in the trailer and all the concepts.
    Thanked by 1Kulu
  • @texhkt Thanks . its still very early in development. so i havent nailed down everything , so please expect some unfinished mechanics and other early dev models. Im still trying to push as many onscreen elements at a stable 30 FPS on a gt 620 setup