[Shader Help] Using stencil buffer in post processing shader?

Yo. I'm trying to have a post processing effect use the stencil buffer but I just can't seem to get it to work. The stencil mask works.

Now, what I'd like to do is have a post processing effect that gray scales everything inside/outside of the stencil mask. I've got a simple gray scale post processing effect using Graphics.Blit

But everytime I try to use a stencil read in the shader it's just a black screen.

Stencil {
    Ref 1
    Comp Equal
}

If I change the it to **Ref 0** everything is shown. It doesn't work because it seems like the buffer is cleared. I've tried this and this but I just can't get it to work. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Ultimately, I'm trying to make this effect.

Using Unity 2019.1.0f1

Comments

• Those are 2 textures though not a gray-scale. You can see the writing is not there when looking at the active map
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • edited
    Fengol said:
    Those are 2 textures though not a gray-scale. You can see the writing is not there when looking at the active map
    Agree. I actually made that effect with 2 texture while trying to make this Effect below. Below was what I aimed for.

• Shows a little from the back end

So, I still have a stencil mask mesh. Then I duplicate that mask mesh and give it a separate layer, that's rendered to a render texture. That render texture is then fed into the grayscale post effect.

@dark_seth are you referring to the cracking platforms? One white and one gray texture? Could you elaborate.

seghor-rebels-036.gif
    1017 x 557 - 1M
    Thanked by 1dark_seth
  • SUGBOERIE said:

So, I still have a stencil mask mesh. Then I duplicate that mask mesh and give it a separate layer, that's rendered to a render texture. That render texture is then fed into the grayscale post effect.

@dark_seth are you referring to the cracking platforms? One white and one gray texture? Could you elaborate.

No actually the background that gets revealed by the mesh