[Event] Jhb meetup - 14 April (online, from any platform)

edited in Events
Hi guys

It's a crazy time in the world, but now more than ever, I feel that it is important to come together as communities, separately from our homes :)

So the next meetup will be fully online, and we're also testing an exciting new tech: Mozilla Hubs. It's a virtual meeting space that can be accessed from just about anything with a modern browser: Desktop (Chrome & Firefox), VR (Firefox), and EVEN mobile (any browser).

All you need to do to get into the meetup venue is to click this link:
https://hubs.mozilla.com/yhrfjTt/meetspace/

Selfie from the meetspace, I was on my desktop:

PC Desktop controls:
turn - click and drag
move - WASD
teleport - right click and hold
secondary menu - hold space

Mobile controls:
turn - drag
move - pinch
secondary menu - two finger tap

VR controls:
move - left stick
teleport - trigger
secondary menu - A button (oculus touch)

- Edit your name/avatar with top-left menu
- Wear a headphone so you don't cause echo for other people.

Call for content:

In this space we can setup screenshares and present PDFs. So If you want to show anything or give any talk, let me know and we'll set it up.

- This event happens monthly (2nd Tuesday of each month)
- is free to attend and
- anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment in the thread below to let us know!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 8 Oct.
Where: Online in Hubs - here: https://hubs.mozilla.com/yhrfjTt/meetspace/

Content

- 6:00 - 6:30 Hang out, no food, or if you want food, turn your mic off ;)
- Introductions
- Community News (5 min)

==

- Talk slot 1 (15 min)
- Talk slot 2 (15 min)

===

- Demo Slot 1 (10 min)
- Demo Slot 2 (10 min)

===

- Discussion Slot

===

- Playtest Pitchathon (if you're playtesting a game, we ask that you give a 30 second pitch to the room about what the game is, before we all break off and play things).

Bring your games and set them up inside the auditorium before and after the meetup! (We'll let people setup screenshare and show what they're working on)

Board game prototypes can and will be played so bring along your prototypes! (Still possible but probably really annoyingly difficult :p We can do tabletop simulator if you want to set that up!)

If you intend to attend, please indicate so on the Facebook event (Not mandatory, so don't worry if you don't have/use Facebook):
https://www.facebook.com/events/214816412916629/

===

If you are interested in giving a talk or demo for a meetup, drop a reply in the thread with what you'd like to do or send me a PM :)

Feel free to ping me for any questions.

See ya'll there!

Comments

• I will be attending!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    For a crash course in using Hubs, here are some resources:

Basic control schemes:
    https://hubs.mozilla.com/docs/hubs-controls.html

Customising avatars:
    https://github.com/MozillaReality/hubs-avatar-pipelines
    (Please keep the models low-poly, WebVR performance is still a bit shaky for now)
  • Sweet. I'm so in :)
  • sadly, the templates don't seem to be available for me to make a fat-bot
  • Whoa, hubs looks awesome!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Would it be ok if I invite some of my work mates?
    The game dev scene here is super tiny and there is only one Unity specific meetup with about 8 regular attendees...
    Hoping if some of the guys see how you do it back in SA we could perhaps get something off the ground over here.
  • Oooooh! I can make this now!

If there's still an open space for a talk I'd be stoked to contribute something!
  • Would it be ok if I invite some of my work mates?
    The game dev scene here is super tiny and there is only one Unity specific meetup with about 8 regular attendees...
    Hoping if some of the guys see how you do it back in SA we could perhaps get something off the ground over here.
    Yeah I don't see why not. The only thing is that the hubs room might go overcapacity - I've done rooms with 15-20 people and it does get a bit buggy - so we'll have to see A) Whether we go over and B) if it does have problems at capacity, but yeah otherwise they're more than welcome :)
  • BenJets said:
    Oooooh! I can make this now!

If there's still an open space for a talk I'd be stoked to contribute something!
    Yeah dude you're welcome to! That's rad! :D

All that's needed is a PDF. I've locked permissions in that room so that only I can do some things, but if you're giving a talk I'll give you elevated permissions to do stuff like import pdf and share camera, etc. Ping me somewhere and we can chat about it off-forum and I can show you how it works.
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Tuism said:
    Would it be ok if I invite some of my work mates?
    Yeah I don't see why not. The only thing is that the hubs room might go overcapacity - I've done rooms with 15-20 people and it does get a bit buggy - so we'll have to see A) Whether we go over and B) if it does have problems at capacity, but yeah otherwise they're more than welcome :)
    It'll be one or two guys at most. Thanks!
    Maybe they like what they see and we can setup some meetups this side.
  • Regarding cusotm avatars...
    I couldn't find any working links on the page mentioned above.
    I think I found a working page here with updated links it seems.
  • Pierre said:
    Regarding cusotm avatars...
    I couldn't find any working links on the page mentioned above.
    I think I found a working page here with updated links it seems.
    Cool thanks, I didn't know there were broken links. I'll edit my link too.
    Thanked by 1Pierre
  • edited
    Hey! Thanks for joining our first online meetup! We had a few technical hiccups due to the pretty novel platform, but it was great overall :)

We'll likely try using zoom next time to get even more people in, Mozilla Hubs starts having connection issues at around 15 simultaneous users.

What do you think?

imageimageimage
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Yeah thanks for organising. It was really good.

Like Hubs, but up for Zoom also.
  • @Tuism: BTW, all those pics in your last post show up as no-entry signs for me. I assume it's cause those are from Google photos or something and permissions aren't open. Should repro in an incognito window :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • @Tuism: BTW, all those pics in your last post show up as no-entry signs for me. I assume it's cause those are from Google photos or something and permissions aren't open. Should repro in an incognito window :)
    Thanks for that! Doh for me! Fixed!
  • ...well, one is fixed!
  • Not really sure why they broke again, I'm making this post to make sure the uploaded files stay in the server, or something :p
    362bcb3b-fe5a-4e52-b6d5-6f89f3a73157.png
    1280 x 720 - 380K
    5310f155-d8bb-4960-b5ce-596eb8221273.png
    1280 x 720 - 474K
    c17c623a-5306-4a60-a6e6-cad4353db3d7.png
    1280 x 720 - 435K
  • So, weird. Now they're all showing in your earlier comment, while in your latest comment the thumbnails are broken but you can view them directly if you open the URL.

Anyway, I've seen the pictures! Thank you.