Another 3D/Texture portfolio

edited in Portfolios
Hey people!

I'm back and ready for some action!
Wait, wait... I need to turn it down a notch.

OK, short version:
I have a web portfolio here: My Artstation
I'm still in the process of upgrading all my older models and making some new ones. I also got the Marmoset Toolbag 3 so I can finally make a proper show/demo reel to showcase my skills/talents.

If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to leave em here.

Comments

• good models, sculpts and texturing. all round , pretty good skills.
  • Two areas I think could use some work are: bevels and textures.

Your grader model is missing bevels on the model's edges, making everything look really hard. Those bevels are really important, because they help with lighting (you get light glints on those edges, which helps to shape your form), but the size of your bevels also says a great deal about a piece's scale and the type of material it is. (I personally don't know all that much about what the correct size bevels are, because I typically don't model realistic work, but it's something I absolutely would pay attention to if I were doing realistic work. One area in particular where this struck me was in your tyres; their missing the bevels makes them not feel like they're made of rubber, because if rubber were made that sharp, the corners would wear/break off anyway.)

The bevels themselves could be modelled in without necessarily increasing your vert count(!). (Many of your edges that don't have bevels also appear to be hard edges, so the game engine's duplicating those verts anyway to have two verts in the same world position that have two different normal directions.) You might want to experiment with bevelling a box in different ways, importing them into your game engine (or Marmoset), and having a look at what your vert count is there.

They could also be done in your normal map, if you were baking a highpoly with nice, rounded bevels, down to your lowpoly where there's only a simple one. Your model does have normal maps within a face, but not on these edges. As a hiring person, I would assume that you created your normal maps from photographs, and would question whether you know how to bake normals from a highpoly.

2. Your textures could use more massaging into place. They look like they're photos that have been pasted in without thinking very much about where scratches and dirt would naturally occur. As a result, you've got some parts of the texture that look brand new and prestine, and other parts that look very scratched; it doesn't make sense for both things to be happening on the same model. I'd expect to see more dirt making its way into some of the crevices, scratches on certain edges, and other texture details that fit where on the model these would be.

Proportionally, the model seems fine. As a hiring person, I'd assume that you're quite experienced at modelling things off of (abstract) blueprints and orthographic views, but I'd question some of your observational skills when it comes to looking at the "real world".

In the classroom render, the fog's a really nice touch! :) Really reminds me of the dust from blackboards from way back when I was in school. It's a pity it's not in the Sketchfab one, but I realise that's more on Sketchfab than on you. There appears to be a really big difference between the texel resolution on the wall (very low res) and on the tables (high res). It looks like it was because you were trying to bake light in to the texture, but it looks particularly strange because the floor doesn't have any of the light bake. I realise that some of this is probably also a Sketchfab limitation, but I don't think your solution's working. :/ If it's possible, you'd ideally be splitting your lighting information off of your albedo, because your lighting can be low-res and still acceptable in ways that a hard-painted line looking super blurry across the length of your wall can't.

Your character model looks pretty cool! :) I think a lot of the same feedback applies here. I feel like there are some areas that are probably supposed to be cloth (e.g. the frills near her waist) and others that are supposed to be metallic have the same sort of texture on them, so that the cloth doesn't look like cloth, then the metal doesn't read as metal. It looks to me like there's a blanket scratchy photo texture that's been pasted on, and there isn't a sense of how these might be more scratchy on certain edges, or have more dirt in certain crevices, etc. Her weapon has a really nice shape. (I don't know if that's your design or one from GW2, but its proportions look great.) I get that her legs are longer than is probably normal (that might be a GW2/fantasy trope), but even within that, her feet look really small -- smaller than her hands.

Otherwise, I'm really happy to see fictional work in here. I'm personally super wary of portfolios that are filled with models based entirely on real-world objects, because I see that entire niche being filled by photogrammetry and other automated methods in the short-to-medium term future. I'm super critical about the quality of textures in realistic work, because when your competition is soon going to be a literal camera, you've got to be doing work that's better than real (whatever that ends up being), and can't afford to be slapping generic photo textures onto your models.

tldr; This is a long post, but it's really just "add bevels, because in most cases you can do that for no added perf cost", and "make your textures tell a consistent story about what's going on". Keep it up!
    Thanked by 2Rigormortis Tuism
  • The Necromancer and the Lisa illustration look good, well done .
  • edited
    Thanks for the comments. Makes me think I'm actually doing something good.

@Elyaradine Useful tips are given here, thanks.
    I'll see what I can do with adding bevels. Due to time constraints on these models, high poly models aren't actually made. The way we do it is we do it is we make the texture with lots of layers, then we make the base colour 50% grey and build a height map based off the layers. Then we use Ndo to convert the height to normals. It's an improvement of how we used to do things, but luckily I got them to do it in a new way. Now to convince them to allow us to do high poly baking...

As for the classroom, the walls were mapped into a single texture, so space was small, but I'm busy reworking them to be a bit more modular and have better uv space. I'll see if I can make some fake light shafts to add through the windows to fake some of the fog maybe.

The character, haha, oops, I didn't even realise the feet were too small. I'll definitely fix this if times allows me. I'm busy reworking the textures as this was textured with the Ddo textures. It didn't quite turn out the way I wanted, but it's on the list to work on again once I get some time. I got a few tutorials that will help me texture it properly. The weapon is from GW2. I'm also thinking of adding some static effects to her hands making it seem like shes powering up or something and see how that translates to sketchfab and/or Marmoset.

I also added a new UE4 forest scene. Also playable in VR, and it looks great in VR.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • So I've been playing around with Substance Designer a lot recently and here's some images of what I did.
    SandTiles.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 230K
    01.png
    462 x 336 - 239K
    02.png
    1883 x 992 - 2M
    03.png
    462 x 385 - 424K
  • The desert stone pillar looks great, kind of Torchlight-like, or League Of Legends-y

The final courtyard image, is that the previous image but laid out as a kind of fractal?
  • This is just art dump of projects I've made before. Just some higher quality images added. Also a little peak at tiles I've made in Substance Designer too.

@EvanGreenwood
    I'm going for a stylized look to a game I'm making. Still testing out the style and general feel and look for it. Might just end up eventually selling textures on the UE4 Marketplace.
    That last image is a cobblestone pattern. Didn't come out great in the image I had. Re-uploaded it to Artstation to link a better version here.

Made a stylized cliff texture this weekend, I'm happy with how it turned out.
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • Made some textures in Substance Designer.
    I'm also busy creating my own cracks generator, can be seen on the last two images.
    Thanked by 1vince
  • Made some more textures:
    Thanked by 1critic
  • So I got the go ahead to publish some new renders for some work I did at 5DT. Here's a few models I've made since the start of 2013 till 2016-ish, more to come in the next month or two.
    More can be viewed at my artstation including a 3D model using the Marmoset viewer.
    https://artstation.com/funnynel42

Thanked by 3mattbenic Jurgen critic
  • edited
    So I'm unsure if I have posted this before or not, but here some stuff I've made that sale on the UE4 marketplace and soon to be on the Unity store hopefully.

Another Easy Terrain Material + Mobile!
    UE4 Marketplace

Another Stylized Material Collection 1
    UE4 Marketplace

Another Stylized Material Collection 2
    UE4 Marketplace
  • So it's been a while since I last updated here.
    Here are some textures I've been working on the last few weeks or so.
    Thanked by 1critic