Game Development (alwynd)

edited in Portfolios
I make games.

My Channel
Youtube

Games

FishGibble
Fishgibble is available for play right NOW!
GoofishGameStudios

Heroes Foe
For Mobile and PC.
This game will be rewritten.

Modeling Demo Reel

Compositions
https://soundcloud.com/alwyn-dippenaar

Projects

UE4 Landscape
Trees and Grass were created in SpeedTree for UE4
This is not a game, just a tech demo, you drive around and look at the trees and stuff...yawn

UE4 Driving Testing
No Idea what I was thinking here...

Drescalus Unity
Super huge world, 2 towns, a huge mountain, lots of houses, plenty of stuff to see, but nothing to do...

UDK Platformer
The HUD, character model and Gun in this demo is part of the default UDK setup, and was not created by me.

CryEngine3 Landscape
Trees and Grass were created in Speedtree, and then exported and refined in Max using custom scripts.
The character model and Gun in this demo is part of the default CryEngine setup, and was not created by me.

UE4 World Composition
Did this as a tech demo to try out world composition with World Machine and Unreal Engine 4.
You can control an orb in an 8x8 square KM tiled world. Or watch if do random stuff and fly around.

UDK Forrest

Unity Crate Out!
A break out clone, made with Unity as part of my studies at www.gameinstitute.com.

UDK Asteroid
HUD was created using Scaleform and Flash.

UE4 The First FishGibble
Greenlit on Steam, was available for purchase on the App Store and Play Store, but has since been removed as we are not focusing on mobile games anymore.
This game was completely rewritten in UE4.15.

Mechanic
Modeled in ZBrush.

UE4 Underwater Scene
Made using Unreal Engine and HitFilm Express.
Models were made using Maya and ZBrush, with Speedtree for foliage.

Modelling Business Man

Rigging Business Man
Testing a character I modeled and rigged using Maya.

Submarine Model
Created using Maya

Dust Buster
Modeled in Maya, brought into Unreal.

Sad Guy
Modeled in Maya, hair done with XGen.

Comments

• All of your image links don't seem to work. (I get an error 403 when I try to visit them directly, so it seems it's trying to link images in a private folder or something.)

What's the aim of your portfolio? Are you trying to find work in any particular position? Do you want to make your own games? You seem to dabble in a bit of everything, and your website seems to have a mix of stronger and weaker work. The SpeedTree stuff came out really well.
  • All of your image links don't seem to work. (I get an error 403 when I try to visit them directly, so it seems it's trying to link images in a private folder or something.)

What's the aim of your portfolio? Are you trying to find work in any particular position? Do you want to make your own games? You seem to dabble in a bit of everything, and your website seems to have a mix of stronger and weaker work. The SpeedTree stuff came out really well.
    Thank you for the kind words, and informing me about the links. I have fixed it..Silly links...
    The aim of my portfolio is to put myself out there, I am definitely interested in part-time Game Development work.
    But for the next few months, I will be busy rewriting FishGibble for Steam, and at the same time, from September the AnimSchool program.

Yeah I started just by reading tons of books, and then doing courses, part of the course was mathematics, learning to design and implement a full fledged game engine in C++, which I believe is now called Carbon, and then learned as much as I could about the Art, Modelling, Texturing and Animation pipeline, and then just progressed to using professional game engines, like Unity, UDK CryEngine3 and finally Unreal Engine 4. I find C++ with Epic's custom compiler directive like tags to expose and invoke Blueprint functions very natural and easy for rapid prototyping, development and debugging.

• FishGibble is alive and well. Took a 2 year break, to start, and graduate from the 3D Character Program at www.animschool.com, that was tough as nails, but really awesome.

Some updates on the new FishGibble.

I know it's not a game anybody is excited about, but it is fun to make, and it's mine. And I am sharing the process with anyone who is interested. Have an awesome one!
  • And then there was this....

• Finally Company Social Media and Website is up and running.
    http://goofishgamestudios.com
  • We have finally officially started our next title. This is going to be epic!
  • A demo series on using World Creator Pro with Unreal Engine 4.21 with custom materials for marco and micro detail, the scale is applied based on distance from camera.

Thanked by 1Lesedi_Mosadi
  • Creating fire with Maya nFluid and Unreal Engine 4.21

• Creating Volumetric fog in UE4.21

• A Custom Actor Spawner in UE4.21
    Allows for procedurally spawning blueprints in stead of static meshes across the landscape.

• Grass using speed tree (v8.3.1) and UE4.21

• A rope Lantern in UE4.
    Thanked by 1Lesedi_Mosadi
  • @alwynd I know nothing about UE4 or 3D for that matter. I play mostly with Unity and 2D, so it is very interesting to watch you manage the UE4 workflow to create a lantern like that. The tools we use are so vastly different, but so similar too. I do think you should adjust your test character though... He/She has done too much mileage and needs a change however slightly...some hair or a pair of eyes will do, lol :) Thanks for sharing your processes. ;)
    Thanked by 1alwynd
  • Thank you so much!
    That is only a block/placeholder for approximation/scale. The characters for the game will all be humanoid or quadruped with full body and facial animation, including character customization. I prefer getting the scale nailed down first

Our modelers are currently modeling some of the character races in ZBrush from concept, then it's on to surfacing using Substance/Photoshop, then retopo, skinning, rigging and blendshapes for customization in Maya then finally the animators and TD's will have some fun bringing them to life for our various in game mechanics and game play requirements.

Good luck and thank you for the feedback!