[Beta Release] Wrong Pong - Because pong that is played single player is wrong.

edited in Projects
Hi guys. So I am finally in beta with this on the play store. If you do have an android device. Please download and let me know. I really need your feedback

Google Services etc all live. Leader board and Achievements.

Personal note. This release for me is to BREAK that never finish a project demon! It might not get 10 000 Downloads. But it is a start. Getting to know the process as a one man team. Hope I can grow from this to bigger and better things.

I will be adding a new game mode to this soon. Just had to get it out on the play store.

Game if free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.setti.wrongpong

Game Play Video

Comments

• Love the look of this one. It definitely has the opportunity for some fun sound effects when you get around to it.
  • edited
    Reserved.
    Art.png
    1024 x 500 - 49K
  • Hi, congrats for putting something out, but did your initial post have anything playable or a video to get feedback on? I can't remember. I'm wondering why you went straight from screenshots to the store without actually letting someone try the game or showing gameplay?

Will try it out when I get a chance but just wanted to have a conversation around this point.
  • edited
    @tuism

Yes. It dit. I only removed the download link and screenshots when I updated the post today ( The look and feels changed since then ). It is still in beta So there is always time to fix but I believe it should be 99.9% bug free. I also had a lot of friends and some other external people play.

Please do comment.
  • edited
    Went to see, not available in my country. I, like many others, have our store set to the US.

Don't make it harder for people to try your game or you'll get noone bothering to. Make a webgl build our something easier.
  • edited
    @tuism

Didn't even know I had the options on Release. Made the Changes in Developer Portal. Should be available in a while.

Like I said. This is my first release. Still learning the ins and outs of the whole process. Thanks for letting me know!
  • There's no need to be defensive about stuff you don't know, everyone's learning, I'm only saying that having the stuff on the store is less accessible than letting it be playable here, and letting it be playable by clicking a link is more accessible than a download, and a video is more accessible than that, and the most accessible will be to have as many of those options as possible.

It's up to you to attract people to your game and/or make it more accessible.
  • Tuism said:
    I'm only saying that having the stuff on the store is less accessible than letting it be playable here,
    Sure if the game is playable with a mouse a web-version is always the easiest to access, however if the game uses multiple touch or other mobile features, it's a lot better to get the game on the Play Store than to share the apk here directly.

• critic said:
    Tuism said:
    I'm only saying that having the stuff on the store is less accessible than letting it be playable here,
    Sure if the game is playable with a mouse a web-version is always the easiest to access, however if the game uses multiple touch or other mobile features, it's a lot better to get the game on the Play Store than to share the apk here directly.

Yep, I can't tell if it uses multiple touch or other mobile features. And I didn't say he shouldn't share the apk directly. Baseline is that I can't tell much at all from the first post and the store link didn't work and it could have been much easier to get people to the game.
  • I just wanted to point out that a Google Play is a solid way to share mobile games, just sounded like you were discouraging that, maybe I read too much into your post.

And yes, the first post should ideally include, screenshots, links for builds for different platforms (if possible) and a video.
  • So the first post did originally have a direct link to the APK file. Since I moved it to the store I can use The Beta rollout function that get provided by Google. Cool thing about that is that I can track the testing. Have a better platform for getting feedback on the play store etc.

I am busy making a game play video and some more info. Will post more soon.
    Thanked by 1critic
  • @dark_seth
    I played your game a bit, it's brutal and has some bugs.

[-]Nice to see Google Games integration, but if I deny access to Google Games, the game gets stuck in a loop asking for access.
    [-]It seems that the force exerted on the ball is not linked to the touch input, which creates a small disconnect.
    [-]There are some situations where swiping left-right would send the ball left and when swiping right-left right, it happens around the middle of the screen, I think it's a bug.
    [-]I wasn't sure if i should just be touching the screen to move the ball or should i be swiping, mostly because of the force inconsistency and the swipe bug.
    [-]The game is brutal, developer hard, I can't get more than a few bounces in succession.
    [-]The rules are hard, certain game over with a single mistake, you should make it more forgiving.

Hope that helps.
  • @critic

Thank your for the feedback. Maybe I should Include some tutorials in game.

The ball will always move left to right and back to left in the same speed.
    You only have to tap to add force to the ball. Or double tap to reach the higher shots.
    I agree. If you don't know how to play your first ques would be to swipe.

You get one live. But if you play online you get a chance for a second live.( Ads related ).

Can you please explain this .

[-]It seems that the force exerted on the ball is not linked to the touch input, which creates a small disconnect.

To Do Add Tutorial or Gameplay info.

Thank you for your input!
    Thanked by 1critic
  • Ok, so I didn't get the mechanics and don't really understand them properly even with your explanation...

I was expecting my swipes to influence the ball, so if i swipe at a 45deg angle left-right, the ball should move in that direction and the force of the movement would be determined by the delta of my touch movement.
  • Played it, feedback follows:

- The rules are unclear. Which I guess is neither here nor there if you want people to just figure it out.
    - The expectation created with the name Pong is that the game behaves like pong. It doesn't. So that creates an immediate dissonance, whether people get over that dissonance or not is a problem. Some wouldn't without strict instructions.
    - That it is one touch is a pro. That the one touch is confusing is a con.
    - I figured out that the first touch always sends the ball to the right. That's completely arbitrary. Thereafter I see it's always just an up force so the ball never changes direction on your input but just bounces between the two walls. That takes figuring out.
    - I figured out that swiping doesn't affect the ball going left or right. That's counter expectations.
    - The ball changing to a completely random colour is arbitrary, and given the short time of reaction required feels really hard.
    - The game is hard, bordering on unfair. There is a market for brutally hard games, somewhere I'm sure, whether this game hits it is not something I can say for sure. The ultracasual mobile market is a difficult one to make calls on. I've seen brutally hard games succeed and fail and I've seen stupidly casual games succeed and fail. I've seen obtuse games with obtuse rules succeed and fail.

- What do YOU want out of making this game?
    Thanked by 1critic
  • critic said:
    Ok, so I didn't get the mechanics and don't really understand them properly even with your explanation...

I was expecting my swipes to influence the ball, so if i swipe at a 45deg angle left-right, the ball should move in that direction and the force of the movement would be determined by the delta of my touch movement.
    That is a cool idea. Mind if I look into that for a second gameplay mode?

• dark_seth said:

That is a cool idea. Mind if I look into that for a second gameplay mode?
    You don't even need to ask, any feedback you get here is for you to use as you wish.
  • edited
    Hi Guys. Uploaded a new version to Play Store. Included a tutorial screen. Hope this helps.

Should Clear up that you only need to touch the screen. Not swipe.
    Added Gameplay video