[CANCELED] CATCHER - Mobile shmup

edited in Projects
Tried my best to get this going. Sadly I've had three sets of artists drop me. Everyone was keen but in the end, they just stopped responding without another word. The nature of hobby projects I suppose. Either way. Thanks for all the comments.
Thanked by 1critic

Comments

• There's some research* about the value of not talking about your ideas, because if you do and we react positively, you psychologically receive just as much of whatever happy-chemical it is in your brain as you do from actually implementing it, making you less likely to do the implementation because the marginal gain for working on it decreases.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that if you want to get things done you should avoid making posts talking about ideas before you show an actual prototype of the work in action. :)

(*I'll link it if I can find it later when I'm not at work. It was a couple of years ago, and figuring out how to search a failbook friend's timeline isn't a priority right now. :P)
    Thanked by 3texhkt francoisvn Tuism
  • I'll be looking forward to that link! And those are wise words indeed. Right now I'm just trying to be more active in this community because I tend to lurk way too much xD

Not a priority indeed! I think you can save yourself the trip down failbook lane. You've summed it up very nicely as is :)
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • There's some research* about the value of not talking about your ideas, because if you do and we react positively, you psychologically receive just as much of whatever happy-chemical it is in your brain as you do from actually implementing it, making you less likely to do the implementation because the marginal gain for working on it decreases.
    My wife was telling me about this recently in relation to academics. Super interesting.

Thanked by 1texhkt
  • It wasn't this one, but I can't find it now. It's the gist of it though. I first heard about it from Evan.
    https://sivers.org/zipit
    Thanked by 1texhkt
  • It wasn't this one, but I can't find it now. It's the gist of it though. I first heard about it from Evan.
    https://sivers.org/zipit
    Thanks for sharing! Goin to read it for sure.

Thanked by 1strangestshawn
  • edited
    Yeah, it's very dangerous to share ideas before doing the actually difficult work of implementing them. It's much easier to be feel like you've disappointed people when you've already promised something, and the human mind wants to protect you from embarressment. Not to mention that once you've promised something you've already received the social reward for doing it (like @Elyradine wisely says).

So I'm not going to give you praise now. But I'm stoked you have this opportunity, and that there's a little team keen on doing this with you. Once you've made some of these ideas actually exist, I'm excited to check them out and give you praise for what you've accomplished.

So please make a prototype of some of these ideas! Even a small amount of progress towards this would be rad to see, like just the intro screen and how it transitions to the first challenge. Or even a screenshot right now of what you've got!
  • @EvanGreenwood thanks for the message. I apologise for only getting to it now but I fled to the countryside for a bit of internet-free relaxation. It was amazing.

It's fascinating to me that there are articles out there discussing these things. I really had no idea but it was definitely worth a read. Thanks for being stoked! It's amazing that this little team came together and so far we've had a lot of fun together. The hardest part of doing this is that our programmer is in the states but we're working around the time difference and getting some assets together so we can share a prototype that isn't a bland collection of lines. It's also weird creating a game with people who have families in tow but at the same time, we're all in the same space. As far as life and frame of mind goes. It's really great for instance to work with people who remember Battle City and the Golden China.

We're all (except for the programmer) painfully new at making games so you can expect some really cringe-worthy screenshots and progress notes here. But hey. It's all part of the process and I think it's good to show stuff, warts and all.

Just waiting for two people to finish off a jam they took part in as practice and then we'll share a rough something :)