[WIP] Sharing some pixels characters of an RPG I'll hopefully finish before I have dentures

edited in Projects
Some friends and I are currently creating a mobile game that we're focused on but in my spare time, I've started creating an RPG I've always wanted to make. Read "spare time" as an hour here or there. I started making sprites about a week ago with aseprite and so far the progress has been steady, though I have a lot to learn.

Just thought I'd share what I've made in order since this is the place to discuss these things and because any tips on pixel work would be appreciated. Don't know if any of these will make it into the game but I do enjoy making them.

Thanked by 3flobar Kulu Elyaradine

Comments

• very cool stuff man! If you ever want tips on pixel art - check out this guy on Youtube (https://youtube.com/watch?v=FbCw-_iRdc8)
    Seriously helped me out a lot with my colour choices, anti-aliasing and all ;) Definitely worth a check :)
    But super cool stuff so far, keen to see the progress with everything :)
    Thanked by 1texhkt
  • Thanks for that link! I see he has a buuunch of videos. That's really going to help a lot. Especially shading.. no idea...
    The palettes in aseprite are pretty varied and I was wondering if you need to stick to one or just mix and match. Also thank you for the words of encouragement. Appreciate it :)
    Thanked by 1Timothy
  • cool characters. Im keen to see enviroments.
  • Kulu said:
    cool characters. Im keen to see enviroments.
    That's the mountain I'm trying to climb right now. At first I'm just going to try emulate Mother3's look as much as I can. Love the palette and the look of that.
    Thanked by 1Kulu
  • edited
    Very nice. That art style reminds me of Village Monsters. Though I think your characters look better.
    Thanked by 1texhkt
  • Cool characters dawg, wish I could draw too
    Thanked by 1texhkt
  • flobar said:
    Very nice. That art style reminds me of Village Monsters. Though I think your characters look better.
    Thanks for the kind words and for telling me about Village Monsters! I've been saving everything I can find that looks interesting just to be able to get a handle on this pixel stuff. I'm definitely going for the same atmosphere as what Village Monsters is going for. I love how in one picture there's a worm on the grass playing a game of snake xD
    Thanked by 1flobar
  • Jay said:
    Cool characters dawg, wish I could draw too
    Nah man, I don't think this is all that much related to drawing. I can't draw that well at all. More doodles than anything else. Pixel art seems to be more like lego than drawing and I think if you have patience then you can make some amazing stuff. Aseprite also makes it much easier to do this sort of thing so I really recommend checking it out.
  • For anyone interested. This is apparently the ultimate guide to pixel art. Thought I'd just post it here if anyone wanted to look into doing this kind of stuff.