Sketch Happens - a new game from Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic are about to move into beta on our latest release, Sketch Happens and I wanted to share this to get thoughts/feedback as well as a ton of beta testers.

Sketch Happens
https://www.sketchhappens.com

From Hitler in a green bikini to Mona Lisa with moustache - draw on iconic archival images with your most witty doodle ever and vote for the funniest sketch before the timer runs out!

- Draw on images & photographs with your own satirical sketches.
- Play up to 8 players at the same time, either locally at a dinner party, or online with weirdos and strangers.
- Vote for the player entry that tickles your funny bone or appeals to your sense of humour most.
- Share images and gifs of your hilarious drawings for your own entertainment or for the trolling of others.
- Unlock a variety of image packs, challenge friends of various drawing abilities, and entertain yourselves for hours!

RELEASE...BETA?
- We're releasing in beta in under 2 weeks. We want as many people as possible. Let. Us. Know.
- Release = when beta peeps say it's awesome.

Your next dinner party, lunch break, or queue at the cafeteria will never be this humourous, this unpolitically correct or this offensive!

As you play, the game generates gifs of your drawing which you can save. As a sneak peak, these are some of my favourite ones from todays testing.

Comments

• don't know who your target market is with this, but not sure if the 2 examples above is the best ideas you could have used for marketing. Seems tasteless and sorry to say quite stupid. Just a single opinion though and i'm probably not your target market (30 yo white male). Good luck with title
  • I'm in my late 20s, and in my group of friends when we play Drawful there is still generally someone who makes their profile drawing a penis. So, I reckon this would appeal completely to them.
    Anyway what is quite cool about games like this is that you can completely target marketing to each audience. So these images above could be for Reddit, then more arty ones for instagram etc.
  • well I can appreciate that you can use different pics for different groups. I like the idea of the game, just didn't appreciate the sexist and hitler jokes used here. Guess it's for people that also see no fault in taking a stab at mental disabilities or religions too. if this was all I ever saw about this game, i wouldn't touch it. Sony has a similar title, but their marketing focusses on the party element and not at what is actually being sketched. I would rather spend my money on that even though it's essentially the same game.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • I also don't like the humour portrayed in these ads. But then I would also say I'm not sure if I would enjoy this kind of game myself... I don't like Cards Against Humanity and I know tons of people who do, so... who knows.
    Thanked by 1FanieG
  • Looks amazing and the ads are hilarious (not that you really asked for opinions on the marketing content)

This could do really well especially for really artsy types and like @roguecode also said - those who are obsessed with drawing genitals on everything.

I'd love to test it out.
    Thanked by 1Gnoblar_agency
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've been working on Sketch Happens since its inception. Right now we are busy selecting out different audiences as @roguecode suggested. Reddit is a big one. Not being a major redditor myself, I'd be grateful to get suggestions on good subreddits in which to post and a general "marketing" approach to the platform (Reddit feels very unsuited to a direct "Look at me!" approach).

Your feedback on the gameplay experience would be greatly valued, whether the humor appeals or not. We hope to have beta builds sent out in roughly one week. So sign up to our mailing list if you are interested.
    -> https://sketchhappens.com

Here are a two gifs promoting images from our "Old Photos" pack.

horse_gif01.gif
    801 x 512 - 346K
    queen_gif01.gif
    801 x 512 - 282K
  • Wolfbeard said:
    I'd love to test it out.
    Awesome, will you please send me your email and preferred platform (Android or Apple)?
    Ideally we need another few people with you as it's a multiplayer game and since it's early days we have no online audience for you to just join. Could you get more people and PM me or Gnoblar_agency.
  • I'd also love to test (as I love these type of games), but I don't have a fancy phone :P
  • edited
    Dear Fans and The Unconvinced. I am obviously biased, but I've been playtesting Sketch Happens every day for a few weeks now and I've still got so much terrible drawing left in me. But just to appease anyone who doesn't like the more offensive material, here's a jockey riding a sentient hotdog.
    Sketch Happens can be adorable and lighthearted to- it's how YOUR IMAGINATION treats it that makes the game fun!
    =^ v ^=

Thanked by 1Gnoblar_agency
  • Protip: calling people names is definitely not one way of winning them over :)
  • Tuism said:
    Protip: calling people names is definitely not one way of winning them over :)
    I namecalled and then I gave them sentient hotdog jockey to be nice- look how joyful he looks! We're all entitled to get offended just as much as we're entitled to be juvenile ourselves and call offended people 'kiddies.' ;)

Thanked by 1dammit
  • The lifeguard one seems super retweetable!
  • The first CGI blockbuster...

• edited
    @FanieG @Tuism

Note: In other site forums for Sketch Happens, it makes me happy that people respond better to lighthearted silly humour than the 'dank memes' type of content I've put up. Here I was thinking that people loved the dark/un-pc stuff but I'm proud to be wrong...

There is hope for humanity yet!
  • David can be SUCH a poser...

Thanked by 1Wolfbeard
  • Our closed beta is about to begin.

If you'd like to give us your early feedback then please signup here.
    banner_betatestersneeded (1).jpg
    1402 x 831 - 666K
  • Sketch Happens Hippo is hungry for more Closed Beta Testers. Sign up here.

Check out how versatile Sketch Happens Hippo can be! Why don't you sign up and see for yourself how diverse your humour can be, then give us feedback on what you hate and what you love- we're all ears!

• edited
    A few days ago we soft launched Sketch Happens on iOS and Android in SA.

Download it!

Currently we are testing the game and making improvements based on feedback. I'd love to get some insight from the Make Games community. Particular points of interest are: approach to monetisation, issues and your overall experience.

Gardening safety taken too far...

Based on testing in the Beta, we will be adding a single player mode for our next update. If you have any ideas to throw around for solo gameplay, we'd be happy to hear. them

Naturally the game plays best with friends and we encourage you to sketch with 3 or more players. But if you want to play alone, you can do so by creating a private friend game.

Also! Share your pics and gifs from in-game. If you dare...
    Gardening.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 98K
  • Hi everyone,

The Sketch Happens team are constantly adding new features to help grow this game into a bigger experience and we need some advice from everyone here.

Our current thoughts are to add something for single players to do, since sitting around waiting for mp games to open can be frustrating with a small audience (and this will be the case until we actually release). To create a single player experience we were thinking of doing the following:

- Weekly tournament where you enter in a picture and people up/down vote on each.
    - Leaders are shown on a leaderboard and the tournament ends at the end of the week.
    - Players can enter up to three images if they complete enough votes (goal is to ensure people vote).
    - Ranking points are given out based on positions and you move up/down leagues based on points.

Questions/issues that challenge us on the above are:

1) How do we make voting fun?
    2) The bulk of the experience is now waiting, so adding more images as an extra changes that, but is there a better option or design here?
    3) Does anyone have a much better idea?
  • Asynchronous play is important for games like this, I think. Letting people engage without real-time matchups can really extend the reach, especially if you say "the bulk of the experience is now waiting".......
  • @Jason, have you ever played WordFeud? It could have changed, but they had a system where you do your move and then can put away your phone. When the other player does their move then you get a notification. This is cool because if you are both at your phones you can play live, but if you need to go somewhere then you can and the game just halts until you can do your next move.
  • edited
    roguecode said:
    @Jason, have you ever played WordFeud? It could have changed, but they had a system where you do your move and then can put away your phone. When the other player does their move then you get a notification. This is cool because if you are both at your phones you can play live, but if you need to go somewhere then you can and the game just halts until you can do your next move.
    I've not, but have played similar. Ours is different though as it's not turn based and it would be odd to stop the drawing. Or do you mean there is a system in that, suitable to a tournament style setup?
    Tuism said:
    Asynchronous play is important for games like this, I think. Letting people engage without real-time matchups can really extend the reach, especially if you say "the bulk of the experience is now waiting".......
    Totally agreed, hence us needing this single player. Any suggestions or things you'd like to see? We have a range of ideas, but we're trying to validate things (to a degree) as well as see if there is something we haven't considered.

• Asynchronous is not single player. Asynchronous means taking turns that doesn't have to be real time. Pretty much what @Jason described.
  • Tuism said:
    Asynchronous is not single player. Asynchronous means taking turns that doesn't have to be real time. Pretty much what @Jason described.
    Sure, but in a game where you have 60 seconds to draw something, we don't have 'turns'. Unless you count a whole new image being a turn.
  • Well, if you want asynchronous then you'll have to work it into your structure somehow :)
  • Jason said:
    Sure, but in a game where you have 60 seconds to draw something, we don't have 'turns'. Unless you count a whole new image being a turn.
    That could actually work I think. You submit your picture after 60s are up and then are asked to vote on other drawings (done using the same starter image you've just worked on), perhaps giving them scores/stars out of 10. Maybe everyone votes on 5 other images after their drawing session and the system ensures that all images get scored, and at the end of the day everyone who submitted gets notified where they were ranked overall (in that category of images) for the day.

Your daily score could then be converted into some in-game currency to buy additional drawing packs?

Just an idea :)