[Prototype] Radventure

edited in Projects
ALRIGHT, YA PEOPLEZ. I've made something cute and fun and quick-to-get-into for a change because I decided that cavalier swamp-muck isn't the most entertaining thing for people to playtest.

Radventure is a quick-session, lite role-playing adventure inspired by Yoda Stories, Quest for Glory, Zelda, FTL, Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, Auro and a million other games I can't think of right now. Also, Norse stuff. Lots and lots of Norse stuff.

Explore a randomly generated game world as a Warrior, Rogue or Mystic, experiencing high adventure and tough-as-nails tactical combat. Radventure is adorable and brutal. Accessible and merciless. Cute and deadly serious. Casual and considered.

... hopefully fun, too.

DOWNLOAD NOW RAAAAARGH! (V0.03, 02 NOV) https://www.box.com/s/lguwpr10ji6kasvpzj53

Some quick screenies:

A typical pub brawl escalates quickly.

It has a map, so you know it's an adventure!

Features deep and thought-provoking dialogue.

For those of you who happen to remember, this is basically FienDASH mk2 (actually more like mk4, but hidden revisions don't count). But this time, it has purpose and story! And hex grids! Wheeeeee!

The game is mouse-driven. Left-click on a tile to move or interact. You can also hold the button down to keep moving (outside combat, at least), or click on yourself to wait in position.
Thanked by 2Tuism Denzil

Comments

• Dude, you're a damn machine you :) While everyone's shouting about rapid prototype you're actually churning it out :)
  • edited
    Here's a couple of hints for people who want 'em:

0) Never get surrounded by more than one foe at a time. Funnel enemies through corridors, hide behind allies or save your hardest-hitting skills for times when flanking is unavoidable.

1) Don't get caught outside at night. If you're on the wrong side of the town gates when they close, you're gonna have a bad time.

2) The Rogue is the most defensive character. Use him if you want to pick and choose your combat situations a little more. Being able to change your mind and back out of a dangerous-looking situation can often be a lifesaver.

3) The Warrior's Cleave is amazeballs. Lovingly carried over from the good ol' days of FienDASH, you can use it for frequent (and vital) combat mobility. It has a million and one clever uses, believe it. Also, no cooldown!

4) The Mystic is the most aggressive character. From the very start of the game, he can often kill two enemies in a single combat round. Unbelievably important for long-term crowd control, trust me.

5) Seriously, when night-time approaches, get the fuck back to town. Or don't. Fine. See what happens to you.
  • @Tuism D'awww, thank you! :3 Though that said, the forums have been amazingly prototype-heavy these past few weeks. It lifts my heart.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Agreed, I've seen so too, it's a good direction :)
  • Gave it a quick play and I love the combat system. The turn-based moving mechanic was so awesome. I also enjoyed the narrative in there. I'll give it another play soon to see how far I can get.

Really awesome prototype!
  • edited
    @Nandrew about to give this a (hopefully quick - as I have work to do) go. It looks like it has some real depth for a prototype, so I was wondering how long it took you to do this?

BTW, ran into this:

ERROR in
    action number 2
    of Other Event: User Defined 0
    for object Faer_talk:

Error in code at line 1:
    if (global.varB[gridX,gridY]<global.day)

at position 17: Unknown variable gridX

*I basically left the town, survived the first area and got like a skill or something, then went down. There was this skeleton thing that I clicked on and then that ^ happened
  • I think I got an infinite loop when using the "Destroy all surrounding enemies" ability. Otherwise, I had fun! :D
  • Thank you for weathering the first wave of testing, guys. Both of your problems have been fixed and the download has been updated. :)

@Denzil This prototype took me a week and three days. It was fairly effort-heavy and basically took all my spare time (haven't slept much recently!)

The core system only took about a day and a half to make, and I showed it to a few people to get quick opinions on the key concepts. Then I set about fleshing out the system and padding it with enough content to convey the idea I wanted -- I already made a Norse-themed, one-shot-kill bloodfest a while back which I considered mechanically solid, so I really wanted to get people's feedback on the, uh, aesthetic that I was trying to convey with story and exploration. :)

(Not to say that I'm not looking for feedback on the mechanical system, too, but the larger game world had to be included for the feeling I was trying to get across to players)
    Thanked by 1Denzil
  • WAIT! HOLD! NO! Not fixed.

Hang on a few minutes
  • Fixed again, ta.
  • edited
    @Nandrew, that's crazy. You're crazy. It would probably take me a month to push out something like this. I guess I am too fussy when it comes to structuring my code and semantics and other details that aren't actually that important. Also, I fall into these cycles of tuning values to see what the results are... sometimes pointlessly.

Good job though. I'd like to see where this is heading!

For instance, I once worked on a turn-based strategy, with a random world generator and it took me an entire 2 weeks of tuning it and adding to it before I was kind of happy with it. That said, my first attempts were badly coded and I struggled with bugs and speeding it up.
  • Yeah, I'm quite startlingly light on good coding habits and stuff when I'm prototyping, because I reckon a game will rarely expand too far beyond the initial experimentation point. I don't have to cater for a million and one systems that nine out of ten projects will never get around to using of because I've abandoned them after version 2.

It's a really strong approach in the given environment, even if it has its drawbacks (for example, the specific situational bugs that are slipping through the net now, as well as some monolithic and hard-to-maintain code sitting there in the event that a game *IS* massively successful. Aaaargh, Desktop Dungeons alpha!).

I actually went through a period where I was heavily considering these drawbacks and started building prototypes with a much more solid code base and forward thinking. My creative output slowed to a crawl though, for not much return. So I swung back to my old style, with a few caveats. :)

If you ever got to see my source for these things (which you won't, because I'm unbelievably embarrassed by the clutter), you'll find that my most recent game projects are a hybrid of well-considered and carefully generalised code mixed with hack jobs and special-case decision structures. ;) It's become a feel thing for me by now and I tend to mix speed with responsibility in equal amounts.

I used to average about 48 hours for a new game prototype, now it takes me between 1 and 2 weeks depending on the complexity of the project (Minciv was on the hideous end of that scale ... geez, management games). I also tend to consider Desktop Dungeons a lil' whenever I'm putting time into a side project, so there's that.
  • edited
    Okay, once more with feeling. Another crash fixed. I've just updated the download (again). Eep. Sorriez, testing a content-heavy project is difficult.

It's getting late now, but I'll try remain vigilant about bug reports over the next 24 hours. If you encounter a problem after downloading *now*, please report it and I'll get to it ASAP. I'd really like people to have a smooth enough experience to test the broader feeling that I'm going for.

Bugs may crop up most frequently in class-specific scenarios, because I haven't checked every situations exhaustively with every hero type. If you have something to report, please tell me which kind of Hero you were using at the time, it really helps a lot.
  • I don't have too much to say, other than I loved playing it during lunch :) Nice one!
  • edited
    Hokay, download updated. New version. Several tweaks / bugfixes. General difficulty curve adjustment. :) Should be easier to win! \:D/ (Or at least, easier to get to the endgame bossfight and be impressed by it and stuff)

The first version was a little tricky.

Here's some particular points to chew on if you enjoyed the game and are happy enough to offer feedback but don't know where to start (they're also the areas where I'm looking for comment in particular, so you know you'll be making my day better):

1) How do YOU find the game's difficulty? I pretty much smash it to pieces after the recent update, but that's because I know it inside out. I'm pretty sure that some poor players are still going to get to the wrecked caravan and be murdered by the first wave of bandits anyway (actually, HAHAHA, that bit's really super easy, go back home nub).

2) Were you confused/overwhelmed at any point by the number of options presented? I took pains in this prototype to introduce abilities slowly, and make very simple metrics for a lotta stuff (health, time of day, etc). Do you feel forced to learn too many things at once?

3) After dying the first time (DON'T LIE, YOU DIED AT LEAST ONCE) were you frustrated, or inspired to do better / try something else? Maybe both? This game is meant to be presented as a reasonable challenge and death shouldn't feel overwhelmingly negative.

4) Favourite/only character?

5) Hey artists, have any suggestions for me? Yes, in an unprecedented move, I'm open for comment on the game's art style! I imagine feedback on that will be easy enough for somebody with an HB pencil permanently shoved in their brain (actually, that sounds pretty ick -- I'm sure real artists use 2H). I'm shit at artstuff, but I'll try improve in the general spirit of things. Like, I'll genuinely try make an effort on that within realistic skill limits. :)

6) Should I continue with this, and where would you like to see it going? Right now, I envision a long-term story with much more content. After winning the first "main story" quest with a character, players will unlock access to the next bit of the story arc, along with more complicated scenarios (several enemy types mixed together, as opposed to these "beginner battles" which usually go for one type per situation), deeper development of the characters you meet, and of course more spells / skills / puzzle types. To facilitate this, I will try make the game not ruthlessly difficult, at least in the first few quests, as I'd like there to be a reasonable amount of exposure to exploration and narrative rather than pure number-crunching challenge.

Thoughts?
  • I can see the same kinda golden thread in this game as well as your previous games (DD, Minciv, even electric zombies) where it SEEMS overwhelming, but if you stuck with it it's actually not difficult. That leads me to wonder if the difficulty was a perception and learning difficulty - and that got me thinking whether that kind of difficulty was a handicap or actual skill difficulty. (as in give people a wet paper towel and then laughing at them for not able to gift wrap something effectively, vs giving them pretty wrapping paper and asking the same) And that's a very complex question so I don't think I have an answer for that yet.

But let me go down the list:

1) It SEEMS difficult, and a lot of it is in the discovery, I guess. But it did seem grossly unfair at parts, where it doesn't explain to you your health, or it doesn't tell you about the progression of time, or how combat damage is worked out, whether I would be running in to die or whether an enemy might take a few hits to kill or not (are there hitpoints in enemies or are they all one-hit affairs? How do you tell?) - or it does in both these cases, just not explicitly. I guess the fuzzyness is quite amiable, but sometimes I wonder if I have too little information, and whether that's a good thing.

2) The number of options actually seemed fairly tame and limited, move somewhere, hit something, or get hit. I didn't really find the options overwhelming. I found the lack of options (at the beginning, compared to other adventuring titles) fairly interesting and intriguing. I felt though I didn't understand the metrics presented as they were not numerical but fuzzy.

3) I tried again a few times, eventually having to go back to work. I think some kind of keepsake after each death would encourage return trips, though that's a much longer view I see you've raised in point 6.

4) Only played warrior :P

5) Huh? I thought it's just prototype art. I mean it's nice and 8-bit and all but I wouldn't stick with it past prototyping. Or maybe embrace the hell out of it, in which case... I guess it's alright. Making guys face left and right? That's superfluous given the nature of the game I guess. What platform are you aiming it at, ultimately? Market? The tiny size could be improved upon as it makes clicking things kinda irritating.

6) I would like to see a more agreeable progression in storytelling - the current walls of texts in tiny font encourage a lot of skip skip. Shorter bursts, pictures, characters with names and faces. Dialogue? Other than that I find that it definitely has legs and is a cool take on rogue-like vs arcadey stuff. The hex system surprisingly gives it a lot of depth in moving and becomes almost a puzzle-like dance. It would certainly suit touch quite well (given that I'd want to play this on the keyboard, and that would mean some awkward key assignments to do hex, and touch combined with that size is pretty good. Just gotta figure something out for those hover overs).

Walloftextism :)
  • Okokokok. Bath ideas:

Why can't I choose to quaff a health potion if I have one, when that would save me from dying?

I realise it's not the best idea for long-term strategy, but it would make the game way more forgiving when you started out. Also, it might open the door for health potions to be more effective (restoring 2 hp when you quaff them normally) but only giving you 1 if used in an emergency. That's probably a bit kak tho.

Can you do something to hint as to where enemies are going to move when I mouse-over a hex?

This would help combat planning a ton. I know it's about discovering the rules of enemy movement, but sometimes when there are loads of enemies you can simply lose track. If enemies would "jiggle" slightly towards the square they'll move to if you DO click that particular hex, life would be easier. Totally ok with this not being in the game though. The health potion emergency use, that needs to be there!
  • edited
    @dislekcia Uh ohhhh, you should *definitely* be able to quaff a potion at any time (and in fact have it be effective instantly), inside and out of combat. In fact, my most frequent quaff times are when I'm at [CRITICAL] and decide I'm going to chug two at once before a pair of monsters can clobber me (and I still get the free move afterwards). :P I'll have to communicate that a little better, among other things which Tuism seems confused about.

You know what, though? Extra health outside combat, awesome idea!

@Tuism Cool! Interesting learning curve notes from you, there. But with regards to (5) in particular ... well, hell yeah, it's totally prototype art. :P Though you'll understand that short of pulling an *actual artist* into this project, I'm going to have to constrain myself to that general style area if I want to do things well. Take something simple and do that properly, you know?

"Embracing" the low-res is a good way to put it, actually. And pointers / tricks / CHEATS(!) towards making this work better would be excellent (your desat advice on the other thread has been really helpful, just haven't had time to put it to use yet).

I want to make it more like "purposefully degenerate" art done well instead of just crappy art, y'know?
  • purposely degenerate like SuperBrothers Sword & Sworcery would be GREAT :D Everyone's on the pixel trip around these parts (and the whole indie world to be fair) but that doesn't mean it's conformist :P

I'd say for now don't worry about the art, do the game, the art can be taken care of at that stage. Purposefully degenerate sounds great, especially given the reductive nature of the game. Darwinia comes to mind, and that was great despite being degenerative :)

Sticking with a set of colours would be a start, and shading. But heck again, not at this stage of the process :)
  • @Tuism Ahhh, okay, I'll just practise on my Comp Pixelate entry for now instead, then. :P For the rest of the stuff: I've got some cool ideas, thanks! I'll do my best to introduce information in an easier and more positive way in the next iteration, so that it's easier and faster for you to understand everything you need to know.

A few quick facts for your personal reference and potential enjoyment:
    - Almost *everything* in the game is one-shot-kill unless explicitly stated (or, commonly, if it's a friendly creature)
    - You have 3 health, and your life meter isn't actually "fuzzy" at all once you understand this (HEALTHY = 3, INJURED = 2, CRITICAL = 1).
    - Time *is* fuzzy, though, that's not just you. Wondering about making this more specific or not.

Also didn't mention this the first time, but your number (6) response is confusing me ... when you say "pictures, faces and dialogue", do you mean that you want character speech to be accompanied by portraits instead of just the blown-up sprites? I have one or two portraits in the game right now, but unfortunately it's a fair amount of work for a, uh, not wonderful-looking result.

Actually, asking about their names confuses me too, almost all of them ha- WAAAAAIT, did you actually click on any of the characters in town, or are you referring to the "wall of text" as that Game-Maker-default dialog box at the very, very beginning of each session? Because if so, then yeah, we're totally on the same page. :) Talk to the characters in town to get a better idea of the sort of narrative I *actually* want to build. :)

The huge backstory box was a clumsy shoehorn and you'll be glad to hear that I'll be removing it as soon as possible in favour of more elegant methods.
  • Cool info :)

I was referring to the big walloftext shoehorned in like you said, and I did speak to the guys in town, can't say that made an impression on me, but I guess that's cos they worked :P May I suggest a hextile art style... I've actually wanted to do this for my boardgame previously but then got lazy (and it was only prototype)

It's an isometric style that can be applied to whatever. MAN IT WOULD LOOK RAD

Quickly did a rough mockup, just an idea of what it would look like :) MAN I WANT TO DO THAT IT LOOKS SO MUCH FUN :D
    rad.png
    172 x 134 - 3K
  • edited
    Haha, shout if you wanna get involved on tiling, then. I'll give you my source code so you can actually shove your attempts into the game and see how they turn out. :P

Buuuut ... I see your approach, and I raise you this suggestion! (quick code-based mockup)

I'm looking for a solution to the problem of walls and ground not being distinguished from one another properly, so I'm wondering if physically raising all walls will help (you'll notice that the Hero is partially obscured behind one, for example).

Ignore the door looking weird, and imagine instead that it would be drawn on the side of the building. :P

I really like the hextile art style that you've suggested, actually, but I think I'd be more confident taking this other approach if I had to do the drawing myself (I'm pretty sure I'd mess up, otherwise).

Thoughts?
  • edited
    Raised tiles aren't totally the worst thing ever, but I thin the charm in the original style is that they are 3 dimensional AND they are perfect hextiles with no obscuring - that means people will quickly learn that there are no possibility of hidden information and won't try go digging for hidden information.

And then it also comes down to design decisions - the reason your walls and ground aren't distinct from one another is cos you have light and dark all over the place - there's not really a visual system to separate what you're walking on and what you'll walk into - that could be dark and light, greens vs browns, outline vs not, whatever, but it has to be considered. Early builds of Broforce also had that problem where the walls removed looked like more walls cos they were darker. So it's just a visual treatment. I'm fairly confident that it can be approached fairly easily.

Well if you'd like an art team (that is if you really want to take this game further :P and I don't see why not) we can see about it :D

That, and on that note, what's happening with Electric Zombies? (poke :P)
    Thanked by 1Nandrew
  • Ok so I have play tested the living daylights out of this game - I must have done about 20 play throughs and seen about everything I think. So:

1) I definitely found the difficulty a bit high - even after playing it so many times. This initially had to do with the issues @Tuism found with accessibility and interface.However, another part of the difficulty I think has to do with structuring the randomised areas a bit more. It would be great if all the areas were you can gain skills were nearby the initial caravan area, as I really enjoyed the combat even more when I had a greater array of choices. Plus, despite there being more enemies with the greater number of abilities, it still felt easier than early on with very few options.

2) I think the number of options isn't so much of a problem as how they are presented. The dissemination of the abilities became frustratingly random across multiple playthorugh, but the diversity of the options is awesome. Any confusion is likely about being thrown in the deep end about the interface, which actually works really nicely when you understand it - the map is particularly important to explain to beginners I think.

3) Ok so firstly, I died a crap load. I only recently reached the boss level at which point my brain's response to what my eye's were showing me was : "OMFG WHY. TWO TROLLS and all tho... just no." . The first time i died specifically I just felt confused about the games elements so I wasn't particularily frustrated and this didn't really change each time I died.

4) Played all the characters, found it difficult to succeed much without the Warrior's cleave and throwing axe abilities, but I can see how the other characters might work with some adjustments.

5) Art: I know it's placeholder art, but I found the design of the characters and enemies, especially the large eyes, assisted the quirky and endearing world you created.

6) YES! Continue working on this... please. I died so many times, but I kept coming back to it because I found the world quirky & endearing and the gameplay addictive. I think your idea for a large long term story would work really nicely as the diversity in the areas made me feel actively engaged even after multiple play throughs. Although, I think you should avoid falling into the trap that Skyrim makes of telling what the main quest is. Some of the other mini stories in there were more interesting to me than the main one (loved the Bear merc and the homicidal goats). Ideally you could just make the world up of several mini-narratives that the player uses to 'train' or something. Either way - I keenly await the next iteration.
  • @Nandrew said:
    Uh ohhhh, you should *definitely* be able to quaff a potion at any time (and in fact have it be effective instantly), inside and out of combat. In fact, my most frequent quaff times are when I'm at [CRITICAL] and decide I'm going to chug two at once before a pair of monsters can clobber me (and I still get the free move afterwards). :P I'll have to communicate that a little better, among other things which Tuism seems confused about.
    Nah, I meant that when you die, you should get the option of a second chance if you still have health potions. I mean, if you KNEW you were going to die, you'd have bloody well quaffed the potion if you'd thought about it, but sometimes you just get blindsided, so it would be really nice to be able to actually hit 0 health and go back up to 1 at the cost of a potion, instead of restarting entirely due to derpness.
  • edited
    @Tuism @Bensonance so, having taken your detailed feedback into consideration (wooo, thanks!) I've built a revision that'll hopefully tickle instead of slapping you. :P

So yeah! New version! Get! RAAAWR! (link at top of thread)

I was trying to push for a content extension in this version, but I didn't get quite around to that and I reckon that if nobody's beaten the boss on the first level yet, building world number 2 is kinda running before I'm walking anyway. ;) So one more round with the first adventure (hopefully far more beatable now) and I'll try put the extra content into the next revision once I'm sure this one is friendly enough. :D

@Bensonance I only realised now that whenever it was I wrote my reply to you, the form didn't submit and my response was still sitting in drafts this whooooole time ... derp ... but I want to comment on the ministories aspect you raise because those are definitely a game component that I'd like to develop. Some of the characters you meet in the wilderness are actually meant to tie into the main plot eventually, while others aren't "main arc" at all but still evolvable (Grettir of the Insane Goats is one fun sideplot that I wanna develop).

Also did @dislekcia 's potion thing cos it works out to be rad and stuff! \:D/

• edited
    Ha! Man, the tutorial messages helped a lot. There were a bunch of things I didn't know you could do, like staying in the same spot and waiting a turn. :) Really enjoyed playing this! :D

[edit]
    I was fighting some duergar, and should have died... but I got saved by an error message!

for object RoomController:

In script IncreaseCombatTicker:
    In script MoveMonsters:
    In script DealDamage:
    Error in code at line 54:
    if (object_index==HealthItem.object_index)

at position 43: Unknown variable object_index
  • @Elyaradine Hey, excellent! Awesome to hear about the newfound clarity, in particular! ;)

How far did you manage to get? Or if you perished, in what way?
  • The dudes who protect the bag of gems often swarm and surround me. I've died to them a couple of times. Actually, with a few other waves, they're really easy in the beginning, but later on it seems almost impossible not to get surrounded. Sometimes the ability that kills everything around you helps, but often they just get replaced by another round of dudes, and more spawning on the way.

The chest with all the blood around it that spawns golems... I haven't seen a way to get out of that unscathed. I avoid it now if I'm <2 bars of health.

And then once I just ran out of time, because I was exploring the whole map instead of saving the girl. Doh. :P

Haven't finished the game yet, but I'll definitely be trying to when I'm done with work. :)

Also, with that error that appeared when I should have died, I found I could just ignore it and keep playing on 0 health. :D
  • @Elyaradine It's not nice to cheat you know :P

In related news, I'll definitely get back to testing again soon. Project deadline getting sickeningly close. Can't wait to try this build though!
  • Cheating, exploiting, bug testing... :P

I think the error pops up when I would die by taking damage from multiple sources. :) And thanks to that, I rescued the damsel, although the Bag of Gems battle and the final battle would definitely have pwned me if it weren't for my zombie hero managing to run around invincible on 0 health... :P
  • edited
    HAHAHA, I've heard about this exploit from other sources by now as well, I suppose it's great if you wanna just say "screw it" and check out the story. :P

Zombie mode, indeed. Though sadly, I'm probably gonna patch it out soonsoon. ;)

(--edit--) AAaaaaand no more zombie mode. RIP zombies. ;_;
  • edited
    @Nandrew: What version of GM are you using? And out of interest how did you do your hex grid? :P
  • edited
    Eeeee! I'm super-enthused about answering that question, this is the first time I've tried a hexgrid game and I'm pretty stoked about the result. :)

I'm a stodgy old coot, so I'm actually *still* using GM7Pro.

It turns out that you can create a pseudo-hex-grid in GM's normal editor if you flick on the isometric grid and make your snap values a 2:1 ratio and orient your hexagons correctly (I think this can work 1:2 as well if your hexes are going the other way). Then I create various tile objects with the properties I want and click them right in! Individual hexes all fit neatly into 32x32 sprite spaces.

It's not perfect, obviously: there's more snap values than I actually have a use for, so I can't just click 'n drag tiles. It also gets a little funny if I leave the "Delete Underlying" checkbox ticked.

But it's still reasonably good. :)

I reinforced this on the code side by making the rooms check the validity of the grid at runtime -- so if through some human error I placed two blocks on the same position, or created a block at an invalid co-ordinate, they'll be destroyed (this has happened surprisingly often already!). But it mainly serves the purpose of highlighting problems for me so that I can go back and correct them in the editor instead of missing them entirely.

Another bit of runtime code I made is all about grid co-ordinate and pathing management: once the room manager has done a sweep of the grid and destroyed duds, it assigns an XY co-ord to each object based on its position (I can be specific since I used the snap tool) and then goes through a painful, but once-off process of checking each object, calculating its six neighbour tiles and storing them in a link[6] array that's attached to said object.

From here, it's pretty simple doing anything that you'd normally try with a square grid: entity placement, pathfinding, whatev. :)
  • Ah nice, makes me feel stupid for my method of hex grid. I just wondered what you did, I might change to your method some time as I think it is better than what I did, thanks.

For reference:
    horridblehex.png
    651 x 549 - 23K
  • Oh my, careful zoomed-in placement? :) Yeah, that'll become painful in the long run (though probably doesn't actually matter quite as much if you're just playing with the one grid overall)