Audio Design for Indie Projects

Hi all!

My name is Brandon Bosch and I am very new to the community. I joined the forum in search of game audio opportunities as that is my passion. I intend to eventually work in the states and so would like to build up a portfolio to impress potential employers.

I am a final year sound engineering student studying at ASE (The Academy of Sound Engineering) and have experience in foley and sound design. I work mainly in Ableton and can also use FMOD.

Basically, if any of you would be willing to have some free custom sound design for your games, I would love to provide that with no expectation of compensation whatsoever.

My email address is brandon.bosch2410@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Comments

• Hey man!
    Welcome to the forums!
    I am also a sound and music guy and have done a few things in games here and there.
    I would really recommend downloading Unity and/or Unreal Engine 4. They are both free and it could be a huge advantage for you to be familiar with these engines, so that you can implement your sounds in the best way possible.
    It's also good to know what can be done in the engine, as it could save you a lot of work by not having to make multiple sounds for different environments etc, if you could just use one sound and modulate, EQ or add reverb in the engine.(Much like you can in FMOD)
    With almost every major update of these engines the sound engines get updated as well, and they are getting very powerful all on their own.
    And like I said, it's free so it's a win-win for you. :)

Have an awesome evening and good luck man!

Karl
  • Hey Karl!

Thanks a lot! I see...Well I am doing a tutorial series which bases on Unreal Engine so I'm getting there. Unity I need to get to know as well though. Yeah I know what you mean. It's just the process of learning all these softwares is intense! Do you know anything about Phyre Engine?

Thank you for the feedback!

Brandon
  • Hey @Jecht, welcome to the community!

A lot of the projects here, especially the prototypes, don't have great sounds (or often any sounds). If you see any projects you'd be keen to get involved with, you can try making some sounds and sending them directly to the developer. Usually the developer would be thrilled to get any sort of interest. Another approach you can try is: get a gameplay video and super-impose your sounds on top of it. This makes it much easier to get a good idea of how the sounds would work in-game, and I suspect this would make it super likely to get your sounds into many projects.

So I suggest you scour the forums for projects that look fun to work on, and just send them some sounds. Benefits include: learn and improve quickly, perhaps get sounds into a game. And if you layer your sounds over a gameplay video, the worst is that you end up with some stuff you can use as the start of your showreel :)
  • edited
    What @francoisvn said! Also wanted to pitch in that we semi-regularly have sound challenges. Its a great excuse to just make some sounds with theme or constraint. Here are a few of our last challenges to get an idea:

Sound challenge #7
    Sound challenge #6
    Sound challenge #5
  • Hey @francoisvn! Thanks!

Hmmm ok I see... I guess I just have to approach people with my material until I get a good response! I have actually started doing some sound replacement demos, with Journey being one of them. The best way to get hired is to build a portfolio, so that's what I'm trying to do at the moment. So I will definitely take your advice, thank you!

Hi @creative360!

I was initially trying to make contact with a game developer here in SA to build experience within a team environment to prove to bigger companies I can do it, but I guess these challenges and small opportunities are the way to make contacts and get to those bigger projects. I will keep on my eye on the sound challenges from now ;).

Thank you for the replies guys!

Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • Welcome @Jecht!

Very cool to see more audio people here on the forum and we are all here to encourage/inspire each other so don't be afraid to ask us anything! There is so much information out there and when it comes to getting experience in making games happen..another really excellent way is to partake in Game Jams. Just keep checking in, there are jams happening all year long (we had one last weekend in Cape Town and there is one happening this weekend too!) and they are a great way to work as a team/group.

I hope you find your way man and keen to see some of those rips/demos - post them, POST them! :)