MGSA Forum Theme

Comments

• Hearting something seems to be a permanent commitment, I don't see a way to unheart something? Although that's kinda appropriate :)
  • Ah okay cool I'll have a look at both of those.
  • dammit said:
    Not quite a theme issue, but could we get back to having the email notifications about posts include the actual post content? That would be swell.
    I dont have control over this, I'm not sure if it was ever in the first version of the site - I remember wanting this too. I wonder if there's a Vanilla plugin for it...
  • Looking at the Discussions in someone's profile seems to return malformed html that causes the page not to display.

http://makegamessa.com/profile/discussions/32/Nitrogen
  • Looking at the Discussions in someone's profile seems to return malformed html that causes the page not to display.

http://makegamessa.com/profile/discussions/32/Nitrogen
    Oo, nasty error, the page doesnt finish outputting. Okay cool added to the list.

Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    Nitrogen said:
    I dont have control over this, I'm not sure if it was ever in the first version of the site - I remember wanting this too. I wonder if there's a Vanilla plugin for it...
    I'll look into this
  • The one thing I'd love to fix is when you get a notification, to CLEAR that notification if you've already visited the thread it's notifying you about. Pretty silly.
    Thanked by 2Elyaradine damousey
  • Fengol said:
    What?
    Something I'll try to fix in the code :P When you get a little (1) next to your notifications, that (1) isnt cleared even if you've visited the thread and read the new reply. It only clears if you click on it.
  • Thanks again for working this <3

here are a couple of mostly css/image niggles I've found (apologies if there are duplicates)

The category index thing freaks out on a narrower browser view.

-

the category blurb feels orphaned or misplaced,
    and it super freaks out at narrow, but only a crazy person would use it that narrow

-

Line height/ margin above post has an odd hierarchy,
    my suggestion is to just push the balance a little the other way, unless we make the attribution bolder.

-

this gap feels awkward to me

-

I would really love the post <3 to be harmonious to the theme colours, it's a super tiny thing

-

I feel like the selected page in the pagination strip is hogging contrast/focus, it's more apparent on discussion pages where it's not being balanced by the column of avatars. similarly, the 'preview' and ' save draft' buttons feel a little harsh, maybe we should use a slightly lighter swatch for this set?

Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    ....Also, lol.

when someone adds several hotlinked images to a post, the first one centers (potentially obscuring text?) and the subsequent images are not.
  • edited
    Okay I've updated the forums.

What's New
    • You can now unheart things
    • You should be able to delete your own posts now
    • Lists now have bullet points yay!
    • Fixed < and > symbols getting stripped out of your posts (hopefully)
    • Fixed images in posts wrapping around text
    • Threads that are new but have no comments now show "New"
    • Fixed category sidebar box wrapping on small screens
    • Individual category pages look better (removed descriptions)
    • Red buttons have been slightly muted
    • Post Preview should now look better and be scrollable
    • You can now view discussions by a certain user - the page no longer crashes
    • Toolbar icons should be spaced better now when there is no gear icon present.
    • The menu bar profile icon now shows a Gravatar for people without their own avatars.
    • Spoliers now work. Useful for hiding sensitive information
    • Since this is a developer forum, I figured we needed some Code Highlighting:
    You must specify a language in order for the highlighting to work. For example:
    [code language="c#"][/code]

Results in
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class CheckState : MonoBehaviour
    {
        public GameObject myObject;

void Start ()
        {
            Debug.Log("Active Self: " + myObject.activeSelf);
            Debug.Log("Active in Hierarchy" + myObject.activeInHierarchy);
        }
    }

Supported languages are c, c++, c#, csharp, java, html, css, php, javascript

Known Issues
    • Previewing isnt 100% accurate, some tags dont work in preview mode.
    • Dark theme syntax highlighting colours still a WIP
    • Clicking on All Categories brings you to an ugly page
    • User Profiles as yet untouched.
    @damousey Your other colour scheme issues I feel are personal preference, I'd need more community consensus before considering changing them.
  • At some point we need to address the mobile theme because the spoiler and code formatting don't work.

Posted from iPhone
  • Nitrogen said:
    Fengol said:
    What?
    Something I'll try to fix in the code :P When you get a little (1) next to your notifications, that (1) isnt cleared even if you've visited the thread and read the new reply. It only clears if you click on it.
    Yes this please :)
  • Fengol said:
    At some point we need to address the mobile theme because the spoiler and code formatting don't work.

Posted from iPhone
    The idea is to eventually just use the desktop theme for both. It's already pretty usable on mobile devices, it's perfect in landscape, just needs some tweaking here and there in portrait.

Thanked by 2Fengol Tuism
  • Just want to say you've out done yourselves and that I dig that we can choose between light and dark. It really helps in the early morning when my eyes are a still waking up.

Nice Work !
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • Yeah, every time I swing by, the site's looking neater and running slicker. You've done a damn fine job. :)
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • edited
    Hey guys, the forums have been updated.

* We now have a mobile theme.

* Profile pages have been improved.

* added footer links.

The mobile theme should work on all devices, for both light and dark themes.

GIANT SCREENSHOT:

• I am very happy with the new look! Really good work!
    Thanked by 1Nitrogen
  • Fengol said:
    Nitrogen said:
    I'll look into this
    What's the final say on this? I really would like to just see the post details in my email alert.

Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Also, I'd like to be able to star a thread without going back to the first post. I think you used to be able to do this is the discussions view.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • dammit said:
    Fengol said:
    Nitrogen said:
    I'll look into this
    What's the final say on this? I really would like to just see the post details in my email alert.

I've had a look and unfortunately, the email posting system in vanilla doesn't make this viable without modifying the core files (the updates will then be lost when vanilla next gets updated). Unfortunately vanilla is still quite young and immature and doesn't have the flexibility of older systems.

As for the staring off discussions, I'll look into it.
  • edited
    Forums have been updated!
    • Added an option to everyone's user profiles to show stars & options for each discussion on the main discussion list.
    • Fixed styling of attachments and popup notifications
    • Fixed google search bar on IE
    • Fixed attachment insert image function inserting html instead of BBCode
    • Fixed user profiles not reflecting the saved options
    Thanked by 2Tuism AngryMoose
  • Loving the new look, everything seems to be working top-notch, well done! :D

Just a few more tiny things:
    1. Where can you find all your own posts? There used to be that feature and it was pretty useful!
    2. It says "make games South Africa" under the logo/title where it should say "discussions"
  • @Tuism

1. Your Profile -> Discussions
    2. That's coming later :P
  • Thanks! Though the profile's a funny one, you can't get to it via top-right directly, you have to go edit profile -> back to profile, which... works, but shouldn't you be able to go directly to "your profile" top right?

so the drop down should be?

your profile
    edit profile
    <whatever else>
    sign out
  • Forums Updated
    • Link underlines now look better
    • Your Profile section under the profile menu
    • Fixed some dark theme styling for the profile/messages pages
  • edited
    Forums Updated
    • Search now also searches Dev.Mag site
  • Did one of the recent changes take out that when going to a thread you would go to the first new post?
  • Karuji said:
    Did one of the recent changes take out that when going to a thread you would go to the first new post?
    Still works on mobile.
  • Nope, it still works. Obviously if you click on a page number it wont, but the avatar, discussion name and number of comments all link to latest post
  • I have a question/remark about the notifcation tab in the top right of the MGSA page;
    Is it really necessary to have a notifcation pop up everytime I receive a message in my inbox? I find that a bit redundant to be honest..
    Also, is it possible to have a "mark as read" button because unless I physically open my inbox/notifcation page, the pop-ups won't go away...
    Sorry if I'm picky about this - guess Facebook spoiled me a bit :D
  • Nevermind, I think I found what I was looking for...Mark all as viewed...Im guessing that is the "mark as read" function?
  • edited
    No the mark all as viewed button will mark all the forum threads as viewed - it shouldnt touch your Inbox?

I'm also irritated by it, and I did look into trying to fix it (Specifically I wanted to mark the notifications read when you read a forum topic), but the vanilla forums are just not built like that. Would require a large modification of the core which would then get overwritten when a new version arrives.

If it helps, just clicking on the notification button to show the pop-up is enough to clear all notifications - but for the inbox you'll still have to go into the message...
  • edited
    While I was looking into it, I found the hidden setting to send new post notification emails with the body copy of the post (which @dammit had been asking for for a while now). Please test it and see if you now get post content in your emails about new posts. Report back with findings!

Minor Updates:
    • Hopefully enabled post notification emails with contents of said post
    • Made light-theme background a touch darker
    • Made the Notifications button remove it's New notification indicator when you click it
    @Mexicanopiumdog - I'll keep your request in mind and investigate further.
    Thanked by 2francoisvn dammit
  • @Nitrogen I just want to congratulate you on the neatest forum I've ever seen. I really enjoy using it.
    Thanked by 2Nitrogen Elyaradine
  • @Nuclear_mosquito Thanks man! Glad you like it.

In other news, looks like the notification emails are fixed! Huzzah.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Best thing ever. Thank you!
  • Agreed, great stuff!
  • Alignment error in the All Catagories while on mobile (With Safari, and is also present in iOS Chrome and Opera)
    image.jpg
    1242 x 2208 - 403K
  • Cool, will add it to the list.
  • Does the new theme have a limit on the number of threads that can be bookmarked? The star icon is no longer showing for me.
  • mattbenic said:
    Does the new theme have a limit on the number of threads that can be bookmarked? The star icon is no longer showing for me.
    The default layout for this theme is to hide the stars on the main discussion lists and only show them at the top of each discussion page.

If you would like to have the stars showing on the main discussion list, just edit your profile and change the "Discussion Lists" setting to "Show options bar"
  • edited
    It hides them on the second and later pages of the discussions themselves as well, I just switched to the fist page of this discussion and saw the star, but it's missing on this one.
    If you would like to have the stars showing on the main discussion list, just edit your profile and change the "Discussion Lists" setting to "Show options bar"
    That's helpful, thanks :)
  • mattbenic said:
    It hides them on the second and later pages of the discussions themselves as well, I just switched to the fist page of this discussion and saw the star, but it's missing on this one.
    Yup, the star is only attached to the first post of the discussion.

• This may have been stated above (but I just didn't manage to find it), but why do the "home" and "discussions" buttons lead to the same page? Is there a home page?
  • LC_Lupus said:
    This may have been stated above (but I just didn't manage to find it), but why do the "home" and "discussions" buttons lead to the same page? Is there a home page?
    The homepage is WIP. See this: http://makegamessa.com/discussion/3248/mgsa-website