What you use??

edited in Questions and Answers
<div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">I just want to do a quick survey to see what the norm is in game dev when it comes to Technology used. This may help some other people in this community including me to choose technologies to work with. </font></div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Question 1: What programming language are you using(learning) or want to learn to write your games with?</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">Question 2: What game engine are you using(learning) or want to learn?</div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Question 3: Favorite image/art software(ex. Gimp, Photoshop ect.)?</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Question 4: Favorite dev environment(ex. vs2012 or mono ect.)?</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Question 5: What is your game platform of choice to write games for?</font></div>

Comments

• 1) I've been using C# for the last 3 years.<div><br><div>2) I have been using <a href="http://www.unity3d.com">Unity</a> for the last 3 years too.</div></div><div><br></div><div>3) I'm a programmer, so art isn't my thing.</div><div><br></div><div>4) Currently I use VS2012 and VS2010.</div><div><br></div><div>5) PC.</div>
  • Note, my answer is just related to game dev, not my other dev work.<br><br>Q1) Python, C#, Javascript, soon C++ (opengl and DX)<br><br>Q2) pygame/SDL, XNA, Unity (more recently), "RapidXNA" which will soon be rewritten in C++ for DX and OpenGL<br><br>Q3) I love photoshop (even though Im quite a noob with it), otherwise Paint.NET, for 3D horriblenessness of my own I use blender or XSI mod tool<br><br>Q4) favourite environment is Visual Studio 2010, it is far more geared for rapid dev (with its feature set) than most other IDEs out there and does debugging well. (the intellisense is really really awesome too)<br><br>Q5) Lately it has been Windows Phone 7 (because the time I put aside for game dev during uni time is during things like th Lumia hackathons where I have to target Windows Phone 7 [as well as things like imagine cup]), but ideally I want to target WP7, Android, iOS, OSX, Linux, Windows, etc... (kind of why Im going to waste many hours of my life on developing a cross-platform library for myself)<br>
  • 1) I'm not the coder, but since we use UDK, UnrealScript is the language.<div><br></div><div>2) UDK (Unreal Engine)</div><div><br></div><div>3) Photoshop, 3ds Max, ZBrush, UnrealEd</div><div><br></div><div>4) Uhh, Notepad++?</div><div><br></div><div>5) PC</div>
  • edited
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">1: Whatever gets the job done.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">2: Whatever gets the job done.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">3: Photoshop.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">4: Sublime Text Editor.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; ">5: Any.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; "><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">With regards to my first two answers: I think being a technology agnost is part of making games. Standing and preaching that you should be using 'x' technology for making games is kind of silly when you can be making games instead. You can make, potentially, identical FPSes using the Source and Unreal3 engines if you put enough work in it. There are inherent advantages to using different things for different situations. Game Maker is great for getting a 2D prototype done. Unity is great from cross platform support. Ren'Py is great for making visual novels.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">3: Photoshop is the industry standard. But @elyaradine made a great post on the forums about art </font><a href="http://makegamessa.com/discussion/6/gamedev-newcomer-faq#Item_2">http://makegamessa.com/discussion/6/gamedev-newcomer-faq#Item_2</a> ;(it's so good that it's also on <a href="http://devmag.org.za/2012/06/26/i-want-to-be-a-game-artist-2/">Dev.Mag</a>)</div><div><br></div><div>4: I like sublime since it's just a plain text editor. It is dark and I like the contrast so it doesn't hurt my eyes.</div>
  • <div style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: small; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">1) Mostly using C# at the moment; have used a lot of C and C++ in the past.</span></div><div style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: small; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">2) Using Unity at the moment and for the foreseeable future.</span></div><div style="text-align: left; "><font size="2"><span style="line-height: 18px;">3) I'm a programmer, so N/A :)</span></font></div><div style="text-align: left; "><font size="2"><span style="line-height: 18px;">4) Visual Studio is the best; but have had to spend a lot of time in Mono Develop recently, which is crappy :(</span></font></div><div style="text-align: left; "><font size="2"><span style="line-height: 18px;">5) iOS and Android is front and center at the moment; favourite would be PC/Mac though.</span></font></div><br>
  • Question 1: Used GML for many years, now transitioning to C#. Also want to learn Butterflies.
    Question 2: Used Game Maker 6 and 7 for many years, now transitioning to Unity.
    Question 3: Blender for 3D stuff, MS paint for the best textures EVER.
    Question 4:  GM was a self-contained IDE, but I'm currently using Mono because it comes with Unity. :P
    Question 5: PC, mainly because that's all I've ever been able to dev for. :P
  • 1)<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>vb.net<div>2)<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Xna</div><div>3)<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>picpic, ms paint and now trying to learn Gimp(but wont do my own art)</div><div>4)<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>VS2010 express</div><div>5)<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Pc, windows mobile and maybe in the future xbox</div>
  • edited
    <div>For Art Content Creation:</div><div><br></div><div>Pencil and Paper.</div>Photoshop (any version but i wouldnt really use lower than CS2)<div>3dS Max (2011 and up)</div><div>zBrush (3.5 and up)</div><div>Alchemy (rarely use it but its handy for odd jobs)</div><div><br></div><div>and we use unity.</div>
  • 1. Delphi mostly back in the day, Now it's Actionscript, but on the side I've dabbled in Java, C++, Objective C, C# and Javascript. Looking at doing an HTML5 Javascript game in the future...<br><br>2. I'd like to learn Unity, and also made a promise to myself that if the UDK 4 comes out, I'll make a game with it. :P<br><br>3. Photoshop mostly, 3ds Max for the rest.<br><br>4. Notepad++, Flash Builder at the moment (it's just a reskinned Eclipse, but it's awesome). I really like Visual Studio Express, but not so much the 14 day trial :(<br>XCode is also quite cool, once you get the hang of it and get over MacOS' horrible window management :P<br><br>5. PC all the way at the moment, tried to get into iPhone dev, but couldnt stand MacOS.<br>
  • 1. Working in Unity, so C#<br>2. Working in a team of 3 - 5 making games on IOS, Android and PC (though not PC for profit yet), so Unity.<br>3. Alot of different software. Photoshop, We use Maya, XSI and Max for various 3D tasks. I like Adobe Audition for sound editing. I like Ableton Live for music.<br>4. Visual Studio, though I use Monodevelop when on Mac which makes me sad.<br>5. IOS is where I've had success in the past. I also enjoy developing interactions for touch devices.<br>
  • I'm with @karuji on most of these.<br>1. anything<br>2. anything<br>3. Photoshop / paint <br>4. I like Visual Studio, but would dump it in a heartbeat if something better came around.<br>4a. I'll use whatever I have to to make 1,2 and 5 work<br>5. everything<br><br>
  • 1) Java, but not really. Learning C++ then planning to learn # and graphic APIs(OpenGL and DirectX, and Allegro and maybe SDL)
    2)I'm very new so I used gamemaker somewhat but mostly did the text games in C++. I plan to learn unity soon and maybe code my own physics engine.
    3)My black pen and pencil. I want to learn photoshop though and GIMP(cause its free)
    4)The JVM for java and codeblocks for C and C++. When I learn C# it would have to be Visual Studio and the .net Framework. Also want to try XNA and the homebrew PSL1GHT.
    5)I would like to write games for PC, PS3 and XBOX 360. Maybe arcades too one day.

I know it bold but that's my 'plan'
  • <span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">Question 1: What programming language are you using(learning) or want to learn to write your games with?</span><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">Question 2: What game engine are you using(learning) or want to learn?</div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">Question 3: Favorite image/art software(ex. Gimp, Photoshop ect.)?</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">Question 4: Favorite dev environment(ex. vs2012 or mono ect.)?</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small;">Question 5: What is your game platform of choice to write games for?<br><br>Yeah, I'm going to echo what @karuji, @Aequitas and @bevis (in a previous thread) have said and emphasise that trying to learn a particular technology/system is a bad idea: Learn the ground rules and basics (of programming, art, music, architecture, whatever) and you'll be able to use anything that you need to use to do what you're trying to get done.<br><br>1. DD is in C#. Comfortable in anything with a reference. Haskell is way fun :)<br>2. I'd love to use a dynamic/procedural narrative engine. Generally don't care that much about engines, if I need something to work, I'll make it work.<br>3. Photoshop, 3ds Max, used to use Maya, been moving away from art though.<br>4. Same as Aeq: VS is pretty damn good, but I'd switch if something better came along. Hate Codewarrior intensely.<br>5. Anything I can create a play experience on. Keen to make more physical games, would love a stand-up comedy game :)<br></span></div>
  • I agree about the diversity (I use a much broader set of tools and programming languages in my day to day work), but specifically for game dev I would have to say that what I stated are my prefered and current target (or goal rather) technologies.
  • I really enjoying actionscript 3 for fast proto-typing. The display tree that they make use of and the way the API is structured, really allows for rapid development. I can quite confidently, tackle a visual programming issue in AS3 within a day and post it to my blog. <div><br></div><div>Whereas, getting up to speed in java is more effort. C# and XNA, I hear good things about. I would look into it, but it is not as simple to publish any work you produce. Javascript / HTML5 is still very messy and I dislike it purely from how "loose" javascript is (like a $2 wh...). There is however a large part of the older actionscript community shifting over to javascript html and porting a lot of the good things from the actionscript environment into the toolsets.</div><div><br></div><div>On the game framework side... Flixel is worth porting for 2D environments.  Here is a longer list (<a href="http://www.flashrealtime.com/flash-game-library-engine-list/" style="font-size: 10pt; ">http://www.flashrealtime.com/flash-game-library-engine-list/</a>;) also the goal is to eventually have flash natively compile to mobile, desktop, air from the same code base. Which is currently provided via the AIR framework.</div><div><br></div><div>For rapid-prototyping more core features that do not produce visual feedback, I prefer to make use of Java. Purely for the reason that the tools for Java really are geared for console output. I have heard good things about python, but have only dabbled in it.</div><div><br></div><div>O, yes, I also found <a href="http://demonsterdebugger.com/">MonsterDebugger </a>last week. Play the game... really worth it (teaches you the debugger and how to use it via a game in the browser).</div>
  • edited
    <span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: small; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">Question 1: C# at the moment</span><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10pt; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">Question 2: Unity</div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; ">Question 3: Paint.NET :P</span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; ">Question 4: Visual Studio</span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; ">Question 5: PC mostly</span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; "><br></span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; ">lol @ Note++ guys! You are all very brave and hardworking! (Unless you have some neat plugins I guess, which I don't :/ )</span></div>
  • <div style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 18px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: small; font-style: inherit; ">I agree with Karuji et al, whatever gets the job done best is the way to go (for development in general). But with that said, here are the stats of this UCT CompSci wannabe gamedev:</span></div><div style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 18px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; "><br></span></div><div style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 18px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; ">1: C# mainly - have programmed games in Java before though (for Android) but any good programmer should be able to pick up any language within a week or three, and have it understood fairly well after 2 months or so.</span></div><div style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 18px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; "><br></span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;">2: Currently using unity and have used game maker in past to great success (I find game maker is better for rapid prototyping in 2D, unity has all the bells and </span><span style="line-height: 18px;">whistles</span><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;"> but took me a bit longer to get used to... still am actually). I have made/copied game engines in Java and Android-</span><span style="line-height: 18px;">flavored-</span><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;">Java, unless you want to learn how to make game engines (as opposed to just games) I would suggest using Unity/GM/etc</span></font></span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;"><br></span></font></span></div><div style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 18px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; ">3: Google Image + paint, for great just-juice [justice] - am programmer</span></div><div style="font-family: 'lucida grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 18px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-size: small; font-family: Arial, Verdana; vertical-align: baseline; "><br></span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;">4: In windows, Visual Studio has always been good for </span><span style="line-height: 18px;">general</span><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;"> development. Eclipse is also very sexy if you are doing Android/Java. But with Unity talking about a Linux version, I might be able to use my beloved emacs (I'd suggest not learning emacs... ever)</span></font></span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;"><br></span></font></span></div><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-align: left; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><span style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; "><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-style: inherit; line-height: 18px;">5: PC and android (only because I have one and I find accelerometer-based augmented reality games interesting)</span></font></span></div>