Industry Survey - Studios

edited in Association News
Hi Guys,

If you:

Run a game development studio,
Are a contractor that works for a game dev studio, be it as an artist, sound guy, programmer, designer, whatever

Can you please fill in this survey? (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-r8qFGcaLdoClMfmWUkLgYEFA8T3jZHoYjj_1WHnncA/viewform?usp=send_form)

If you are an employee, please do not fill it!

We need this to act as a benchmark and to appease our government overlords (also it will really help MGSA out). This will be followed up with a more detailed version and other surveys looking at employees specifically.

Apologies for the roughness of the survey but time is of the essence.

Nick

Comments

• I'm unsure what to put as a profit if I am contractor? And for employment numbers, should that just be 0 for all since I'm not employing anyone (thought the company that I contract to does)
  • I believe you'd be employing at least one person (yourself).
  • @Raxter don't stress about the profit, rev is what I really care about ;) Yes you "employ" 1 person (yourself)
  • I unfortunately missed the meetup. But I heard some very encouraging results were announced there that were collected from this survey.

Any chance of posting some of the stats online? (if the stats aren't needed to remain semi-secret for other reasons).
  • @Blackships 31 Responses so far
    Value of the industry in 2013 = more or less R30million
    Industry has 222 Jobs, both full time and contract
  • With the same 31 responses, just over a quarter are not white males. Diversity is happening and I hope continues to grow!
  • Fengol said:
    With the same 31 responses, just over a quarter are not white males. Diversity is happening and I hope continues to grow!
    Do you have any other stats on other demographics?

• We're tracking number of women (16.4%) and the various "race" requirements as per BEE (Black 5.41%; Coloured 3.6%; Asian 4.05%)
  • Represent! :)
  • We're tracking number of women (16.4%) and the various "race" requirements as per BEE (Black 5.41%; Coloured 3.6%; Asian 4.05%)
    Cool - but now I'm confused. Fengol said over a quarter non-white?

• @dammit

He said:
    not white males
    Which is probably a sneaky way of saying everyone who isn't a white dude. He should probably be in marketing :P.
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • That still makes no sense.

Unless you're assuming that all females are white, so then you can add the female demographic to the non-white demographics.

Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • @dammit, I think the confusion stems from the ambiguity of "non white males".

I suspect that he meant "not (white males)" as opposed to "(non-white) males", so the "over a quarter" statistic includes white females and all non-white people.
  • @Ramperkash

That's pretty much what I just said.

The problem is this statement you can't really group females with race, because that's not an either or sum. You can be female and be non-white too.

Currently we have women only as 16.4%

And races represented in a total of 13.06%.

Which means that more fairly the statement needs to be that we have 83% male representation in our industry based on the survey and 87% white representation in the industry based on the survey.

That's not quite even a quarter - so let's not go patting ourselves on the back just yet :P
  • @dammit: By that, you're also assuming that everyone is either male or female, which also isn't necessarily true. :P
  • I'm sorry for causing any confusion or seeming to single out a group. While not part of B-BBEE, under the Employment Equity Act women are seen as part of the designated groups ("‘designated groups’ means black people, women and people with disabilities"), so we have the group as a statistic.

I'd like to add that this does not necessarily reflect the views of the committee members and people involved in the collection, collation and/or presentation of the data gathered.
  • @dammit: By that, you're also assuming that everyone is either male or female, which also isn't necessarily true. :P
    A valid point!
  • edited
    @Fengol: The point of contention isn't to do with singling out a particular group or anything. It's just an error in how you interpreted the data. @dammit's just pointing out that you can't simply add the stats together and say that a quarter of the game industry is non white male, because, using your logic, if the game industry were completely female, and completely Black, then the game industry would be 200% black female, which doesn't make sense.

It's a maths problem, not a minority/oppressed group problem. :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • edited
    @Elyaradine, you're correct in saying that if we do not know how many of the women are white or not, we can't conclude that over a quarter of the industry is non white male. I suspect that they do know that percentage though, and am therefore giving @Fengol the benefit of the doubt that they did not simply add the two percentages together. Of the 16% women, only around 11% (~68% of the women) need to be white for the statement to be true, and since that's quite a bit lower than 87% (white representation), I can believe that.

If they did just add the 16% and 13% together, I suspect they would have said "almost a third" instead ;)

@dammit, I actually misunderstood where the confusion lay completely, my bad.