2014 - Committee Nominations

edited in Association News
Hi Everyone,

We have our annual Annual General Meeting (AGM) coming soon at the end of April 2014 (exact date to be confirmed) but we're doing something different this time and organising the nominations and doing the voting before the event with the results announced at the AGM.

The primary idea is to give everyone time to learn about the nominees and make an informed discussion. It's unfortunate that there are great members in Cape Town that many members in Johannesburg don't know about and vice versa (and let's not forget members across the rest of the country).

Until 30 March 2014 please post in this thread your nominations for the committee.

The committee is made up of 6 members; a chairman, a treasurer and 4 standing members.

Rules:
  • You can nominate any member or yourself (please check if the member is already nominated to save duplicate posting).
  • You can nominate a member for chairman, treasurer, standing member or just to the committee
  • You can nominate as many different members as you like.
  • A nominated member must accept the nomination before voting starts.
  • A nominated member can refuse nomination.
  • A member can be nominated to multiple positions. Before voting starts they must pick a single position to stand for.
After the cut off date our social media manager (aka @Bensonance) will be writing a brief profile of each nominee to raise awareness.

Nominees (in no particular order):
[list=1]
[*] @Lexaquillia (Chairman) (accepted)
[*] @bischonator (accepted)
[*] @tbulford (accepted)
[*] @Fengol (Treasurer) (accepted)
[*] @Hanli (accepted)
[*] @dislekcia (accepted)
[*] @creative630 (accepted)
[*] @Bensonance (accepted)
[*] @Raithza (accepted)
[*] @carteki (Treasurer)
[*] BlackShipsFilltheSky (declined nomination)
[*] mattbenic (declined nomination)
[*] Rigormortis (declined nomination)
[/list]

If you have any questions just post in this thread or PM me.

Comments

• I would like to nominate @Lexaquillia (Nick Hall) as Chairman
    Thanked by 3hanli mattbenic danelle
  • edited
    I would like to nominate myself.

Because I know Ben loves to write:

My name is Nicolas Bischoff and I have been going to the makegameSA meet ups since early 2013.

My brother (Chris) and I are developing Stasis which has successfully raised 1.5 million Rand off of Kickstarter.

I am a hobby programmer and game development enthusiast. I was a forum mod on the old http://forums.indiegamer.com/ about 10 years ago. I have been making games for 20 years since the early days of Klick and Play. I have also been developing project management software for clients for a decade.

In my day job I manage a team of artists who develop 3d content for property developers all over the world (www.burn.co.za)
    I have 10 years of business experience in a creative field. I handle marketing, promotions, client liaison and finances.

I have lots of great ideas for makegameSA that I would like to see implemented. I would like to stand as a general member where I know I can contribute much to the South African community.

Thanks,
    Nic
    Thanked by 2AngryMoose Tuism
  • I nominate Travis @tbulford (http://www.makegamessa.com/profile/466/tbulford) as a member. He is the most experienced game dev in South Africa. He is also a business owner so he comes with built in management and I think he will do a sterling job.
  • @bischonator thanks for the nomination I would love to be more engaged in the community.

Not sure you can nominate two people however I would like to suggest you as a nomination so that solves that. Was considering Chris but I suspect he is knee deep in Stasis so I am pleased you willing to sacrifice some time to be part of this.
  • edited
    I nominate @Raithza ! (Ruan Rothmann)

He's been developing games full time for 2 years, and has been instrumental in Free Live's success with Broforce. Before that he developed games in his spare time (while holding down a full time programming job) and has contributed to both these forums (he wrote the original Make Games newcomer FAQ for instance) and the SAGameDev forums before them. @Raithza is Free Lives' chief negotiator and lead programmer.

I think Ruan's experience in the industry, his no bullsh*t attitude, his ability to find common ground, his excellent communication skills and his sense of humour would serve Make Games well.

Also, he got to rank 7 on Hearthstone and carries the team in Dota2 very often.
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • Ruan for committee! Box wine for everyone!
  • I have lots of great ideas for makegameSA that I would like to see implemented. I would like to stand as a general member where I know I can contribute much to the South African community.
    Ideas like?

Do you feel that you can't raise these as a non-committee member at the moment?

• I nominate @Fengol to stay on as treasurer.
    Thanked by 2hanli duncanbellsa
  • dislekcia said:
    I have lots of great ideas for makegameSA that I would like to see implemented. I would like to stand as a general member where I know I can contribute much to the South African community.
    Ideas like?

Do you feel that you can't raise these as a non-committee member at the moment?

I did - I was told it was a committee matter. But that is not a discussion for this thread.
  • I would also like nominate @BlackShipsFilltheSky whom I forsee will become the South African Notch.
  • I am not aware if we can nominate more then one person but just in case. I nominate @Hanli.
    Thanked by 2mattbenic hanli
  • In the event that one cannot nominate more than one person: I also nominate @hanli ;)

She has kinda been kicking all sorts of ass!
    Thanked by 2tbulford hanli
  • I would like to second some of the nominations so far.
    @tbulford
    @Hanli
    @fengol
    @lexaquillia

Justification: these are people that are active inside all the communities and ideally placed to keep MGSA in front and leading the charge on game development in South Africa. There are many more equally suitable people, but considering the time constraints for events and all that it makes sense to have them all around.

Just as an aside, this years committee is awesome and has done a stellar job! Well done!
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • edited
    Thanks @tbulford I accept the nomination.

I would like to second for the following (I assume we need to do it in writing or do <3's count?):
    @Lexaquillia (Nick Hall) as Chairman
    @Fengol (André Odendaal) as Treasurer
    @Raithza (Ruan Rothmann) as Member
    @tbulford (Travis Bulford) as Member

I would like to nominate the following:
    @Bensonance (Ben Myers) as Member

From the existing committee I would like to ask if the following members are prepared to run again?
    @dislekcia (Danny Day) as Member
    @mattbenic (Matt Benic) as Member
    @Rigormortis (Ed Beukes) as Member

I know that's more than I can vote for, but these are all people that I feel should be up for consideration.
    I believe that Nick and Andre are essential for the continued growth of MGSA, and have both contributed massively thus far.
    Ruan and Travis and Ben could add valuable new voices to the committee from very different industry/community perspectives.
    Matt, Ed and Danny are stable, sensible members of the committee. They have a wealth of experience in very different areas of the industry.
  • I would also like to second these fine upstanding gentlemen (thanks @hanli)
    @Lexaquillia (Nick Hall) as Chairman
    @Fengol (André Odendaal) as Treasurer
    @Raithza (Ruan Rothmann) as Member
    @tbulford (Travis Bulford) as Member

And these guys
    @hanli (Hanli Geyser) as Member
    @Blackshipsfillthesky (Evan Greenwood)
    @dislekcia (Danny Day) as Member
    @mattbenic (Matt Benic) as Member
    @Rigormortis (Ed Beukes) as Member

I also feel that all these guys should be up for consideration as they've all had invaluable contribution towards the community in an active and ongoing way.

It's unfortunate we can't/shouldn't have more people as there really are a lot of good people around us, but at the end of the day we're looking for a committee not a hall of fame :)
  • To be clear you can nominate as many members and as many times as you like
  • The first post has been updated with the nominee's so far. They do not need to be nominated again.

Does anyone want to nominate someone else for Chairman or Treasurer?
  • I would like to nominate @carteki as treasurer because she's an accountant
  • edited
    An accountant would be good, but do you know her? No offence intended (really!) but she has one post about CAs :P Who is this mystery lady @carteki?? Does she even game, bro? :P

(ok maybe I should keep the tone in this thread to a serious one rather :P)
  • edited
    It might be a good idea to list what responsibilities each candidate or member would have to take on (especially in the different roles), what is expected from them in terms of time and commitment etc. just so that everyone has a clear idea of what is being looked for. And what the nominees are agreeing to.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • My nominations for "The Six" (as they shall henceforth be known) are as follows:

@Lexaquillia (Chairman)
    @Fengol (Treasurer)
    @tbulford
    @Raithza
    @mattbenic
    @Hanli

:)
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • @tuism, this is why we're doing this now before the AGM; so that you can learn the other members. She goes to the Cape Town meets and she's been working with @Lexaquillia and myself to get MGSA's tax exemption.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Thanks @Fengol :) Nice to meetcha @carteki! (Is that in any way related to Jinteki?)

Also:
    My nominations for "The Six" (as they shall henceforth be known)

Coincidence? I think not ;)
    Thanked by 1tbulford
  • My votes in no particular order. (Except I guess if they are capable of a job related aspect?)

@Lexaquillia
    @Fengol
    @dislekcia
    @Raithza
    @mattbenic
    @carteki
  • I would like to nominate @creative630 . He is a active member of the makegamessa group, on the forums and helping organise makegamessa events at UCT.
  • I nominate/second

@Lexaquillia (chair)
    @dislekcia
    @Raithza
    @creative630

because I feel they would represent the direction I would like makeamesSA to go and I wold trust them to make the sort of selfless decisions and efforts required to benefit the game development community at large
  • edited
    Here's who I'd like to second:

@Lexaquillia (to continue as chair)
    @Fengol (to continue as Treasurer)
    @dislekcia
    @hanli
    @Raithza

I'm not willing to run myself (@Fengol could you please take me off the nominees list). It's an honour to have been nominated at all, but I just don't have the time and it wouldn't be fair to completely prioritize Free Lives over Make Games (which would be the inevitable outcome).
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky, not a problem.

To everyone else, is there anyone who's NOT on the list in the first post you want to nominate? If they are on the list do you not need to second them or nominate them again.

Voting should be a week from now or so.