[Sound Challenge] Competition #3 - Festive season, but... {Voting closed, see results!}

Hello again!

After our last two successful challenges (Comp1, Comp2), I believe it is time for another!

This time lets make our own threads for our entries. This will allow easier access to feedback and we can update our entries as we go with less clutter. Lets have our entries posted here as usual :)

The Premise...
You've started your job working on Defenders-craft making sweet sounds for the game. You are told that the game is being themed for the festive season, and as the newbie, the job falls on you to design appropriate sounds... Naturally you hate this. This goes against everything you stand for (or maybe its your irrational fear candy canes). This is the most cheesy, foul, greedy and stereotypically AAA task you've ever had to do.

So you'll give them their bells, chimes, choirs and *shudder* candy cane clangs, but you're not going to like it and you're not going to do it the way they want. This is going to be festive... with a difference.

The rules:
1. EVERYONE can join, you don't need to be a musician or have a sound engineering degree. Lets face it, we all need sound effects for our games and most of us are pretty terrible at it (I know I am). So lets practice using any software out there! (See below for some suggestions)
2. Once you have made your entry, make a thread for feedback and post a link to it here post it here.
3. Stick to the theme. Or don't. We don't really care either way, just join in!
4. Finish the project by Sunday the 22nd of December (so we can vote on the 23rd/24th).
5. Did I mention EVERYONE can join in? We like silly gimmicks and I-made-this-with-my-tablet-and-a-cup-of-sweets type entries so there are plenty of excuses to take part!
6. Have fun and try to give feedback to other entries!

The Video
Here is a handy link to the video of the festive look of Dungeon Defenders Defenders-craft you hate so much! You are not forced to use the video but feel free to use it in your entry by adding any audio you want. We are looking for all types of audio entries including: sound effects, music, voice overs (someone please do a doomy Father Christmas voice) or all of the above.

The old audio has already been stripped off the video for you and is available in down-loadable form:
936x528 in .mp4 format, 36mb download
540x304 in .mp4 format, 17mb download

Software advice:
So here is a handy list from pixel prospector for music software.
Procedural music generators like Otomata and January are really cool, so you could try make some music with them!
For sound effects I would recommend bfxr or sourcing sounds from freesound.

So who will be joining me? Feel free to ask any questions!

UPDATE:
Voting begins! Follow this link to vote.
You have until the end of the 24th of December 2013 to Vote!

UPDATE 2:
I can't see any votes from people... so the voting has been extended! It is now due on the 4th of January.

Everyone is welcome to vote so please do!

Follow this link to vote!

UPDATE 3:
Voting has closed! Thanks to everyone who voted and thanks to all who participated!

We did not have did not have a huge amount of votes this time so please take the results with a pinch of salt.
Here they are anyway, enjoy!

Best Music Category:
image 1st - @djgc and @creative630 tied!
image 2nd - @Gibbo
image 3rd - @Mexicanopiumdog

Best Sound Effects Category:
image 1st - @djgc
image 2nd - @creative630

Best Overall Category:
image 1st - @djgc
image 2nd - @Mexicanopiumdog and @creative630 tied!
image 3rd - @Gibbo

Congratulations to everyone! I think everyone won something :)

Comments

• Yup I'm down for a Christmas-themed sound challenge! (Will likely just focus on music though) :)

Not sure about separate threads for each entry though, considering the already heavy competition for getting noticed in the 'all discussions' thread. Comp2 doesn't seem to have been too cluttered - all managed to stick to one page.

Perhaps will work best if this thread is stickied, to be updated as we go along?
  • Ok that sounds reasonable, I was just hoping there would be more feedback going around if each person had a thread. I guess the challenge is still manageable for now :)
  • Hi all. I'm a sound engineer and sound designer and am looking to get into the gaming industry. This is an awesome opportunity so count me in!!:) I'll get cracking with this and hopefully have something worthwhile soon.
  • edited
    @djgc Awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • Hey all.. So here's my take on the sound for the video clip. A bit different but that's what this all about right.. :)

Hope you enjoy
    Greg

Thanked by 1creative630
  • @djgc Holy crap that was cool. This is definitely what was thinking when I said "with a difference", congrats!

May I ask what tech/resources you used?

As for critical feedback ... hmmm. I don't have much, but I feel the only thing that was slightly lacking for me was the marching sound effects. The last marching section with the cyclops sounded and felt awesome (with the light and heavy footsteps together), but the previous sections felt a little flat to me. I think its because the orcs don't walk in sync on the video and I would expect a bit of a deeper or lower "footclap" sound from bigger orcs.
  • @creative630 Thanks very much. Glad you like it!!

The tech that I used is Cubase5 for all of the sound arrangement and recording of the ho ho ho :) And I have a data base of sounds/samples/foley that I used and combined to get all of the different character sounds and effects.

I hear you on the marching sections.. I can definately go back and have a look and see what I can add in.
  • Very cool indeed! As creative360 mentioned, the only thing that seemed a bit out of place were the marching sounds from 00:21 - 00:31... I think even if it doesn't fully match the visuals it would work better to have marching SFX in time with the Bangarang intro, which would be kinda reminiscent of Red Alert's Hell March, but with dubstep :)
  • Thanks @Gibbo I hear you on the timing issue. I guess I was going for the minimal anticipation build up sequence. The timing of the marching with the track is also a very cool idea I think that could work nicely!!
  • Didn't get as far as adding SFX so my entry's just on the music side, hope the 'disgruntled Defenders employee' vibe comes across. Timing of the music also doesn't quite match up with the vid so going more for the spirit of the thing :)

• Below is my entry into the challenge. I really really enjoyed making this! Hopefully my "difference" comes across as shameless and terrible as I had hoped :)

I used Ableton Live with samples from FreeSound.org and the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra samples.

@Gibo Thats quite and interesting entry you have there :) It sounds more like a 'disgruntled defenders employee conducting a mob of angry teenagers' :P I really like it and can't really critise it. It almost gets a little repetitive in the middle, but then it winds down just in time to leave you satisfied and wanting to rebel like a kid again.
  • edited
    UPDATE:
    Voting begins! Follow this link to vote.
    You have until the end of the 24th of December 2013 to Vote!
  • @creative630 - Great that you were able to do SFX as well as the music. Nice use of Sonatina there, and yup that's definitely 'with a difference' once your piece gets going!

Angry teenagers sounds about right XD ... glad it doesn't sound too repetitive, was going to add more instrumentation but time got away.
  • edited
    UPDATE:
    I can't see any votes from people... so the voting has been extended! It is now due on the 4th of January.

Everyone is welcome to vote so please do!

• hey creative, gibbo and djgc. I only logged on to makegamessa this late only to find that you had another challenge up..Is it too late to submit mine. I would be keen on posting mine as well...Let me know ;)
  • @Mexicanopiumdog Sure, I don't think its too late... Only two people (including me) have submitted votes so far. I'm guessing after Christmas period everyone will start voting so you might want to get it in asap :) I'll edit the voting etc. as soon as you post it here.
  • I submitted this morning
  • @Fengol Cooleo, I think you can resubmit if @Mexicanopiumdog sends in his entry. I can't remember how google forms handles resubmission...
  • It's just a second line on the spreadsheet
  • Definitely the more submissions the merrier! This is more about the fun and experience of doing these sound challenges than strict points systems, I would think the deadlines are mostly there to make sure people actually get stuff done otherwise they'd never finish with an open time limit. :)

Also merry Christmas all, hope you had a great day of it!
  • This is my entry:

:) I also went for the dynamic dubstep in your face type of story coz thats what kids these days want to hear these days...
    "Crack-snap and pop" yet again.
    I went all out on the music, hope you guys enjoy!
    @Gibbo I really laughed when i saw your vid (disgruntled defenders rofl mao)! Amazingly funny and cool
    @Creative I like the flow of your one, everything is synched and makes sense - definitely very creative!
    @djgc Thats some amazing sound design! I really enjoyed it and slightly sad that you drowned in the wobbles and dirtyness of Bangarang but otherwise good job as well!
  • @Mexicanopiumdog Fantastic stuff! Your animative music feel is excellent once again, definitely something I can learn from :)
    In terms of constructive criticism, is there a reason why you didn't have more sound effects at the character introduction part before the marching part? I think a small transition effect or something is needed there. Also some of the sound effects were a tad drowned out by others, like the snowmans landing was quite a bit softer than some of the guns. Loved the dubstep gun/magic effects and very well timed overall!

I've updated the vote page, so feel free to revote if you voted on the old page (I did)!
  • @creative Yeah I focused less on SFX, definitely was thinking of putting some character sounds but I wanted it to be less subjective because giving the characters voices etc would have changed the feel of the video. I admit that I was very lazy on SFX and could have spend a lot more time on it! Thanks for the criticism, Ill keep it in mind!
  • @Mexicanopiumdog - great stuff mate, the SFX mixed with dubstep was a nice touch. I'd initially thought the SFX noises were just part of the music (dubstep yo) but realised they were in time with the visuals! :)
  • edited
    Last call for votes everyone! Please take the time to vote before the end of the day and remember, everyone can vote!

• Voting has closed! Thanks to everyone who voted and thanks to all who participated!

We did not have did not have a huge amount of votes this time so please take the results with a pinch of salt.
    Here they are anyway, enjoy!

Best Music Category:
    image 1st - @djgc and @creative630 tied!
    image 2nd - @Gibbo

Best Sound Effects Category:
    image 1st - @djgc
    image 2nd - @creative630

Best Overall Category:
    image 1st - @djgc
    image 2nd - @Mexicanopiumdog and @creative630 tied!
    image 3rd - @Gibbo

Congratulations to everyone! I think everyone won something :)
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Hey all.. sorry for the lack in communication - been away on holiday. A big happy new year and all the best for 2014!!

Just wanted to say congrats to all on their submissions and thanks @creative630 for organizing this competition. I really enjoyed messing around with the sounds and coming up with a different idea for the overall soundtrack. @Mexicanopiumdog thanks for the comments and feedback. Your track and version is also very cool! I also really liked @Gibbo music with the disgruntled frustrated kids - very cool track!! And @creative630 version is definitely coming from an employee who has been in the same warehouse packing boxes for waaay too long!!;) Its awesome to hear and see others ideas and how they translate those ideas.

All in all it was a good competition and glad I was a part of it. Looking forward to the next one!! :)
  • Also been on hols so just catching up - congratulations @djgc and thanks to all who took part, was a fun challenge! Thanks again for organising @creative630
  • @djgc and @Gibbo No problem for organizing, thanks for joining in the fun :)

If anyone has a cool idea for the next challenge please feel free to plop it down here and we can discuss it. No suggestion is a bad suggestion :D
  • For the next challenge maybe a trailer/footage from a kids video game (something from Disney or Skylanders perhaps)? Could result in some fun, quirky or even epic pieces :)
  • edited
    If anyone has a cool idea for the next challenge please feel free to plop it down here and we can discuss it. No suggestion is a bad suggestion :D
    Action movie footage! Or, take a modern action game and make it sound like a 70s action movie trailer.
  • edited
    @dislekcia and @Gibbo Those are pretty rad ideas :) We could make a super rad mutant of a challenge by taking footage from a kids video game and making it sound like a 70s action movie trailer! ;P

Another small idea I had was an overall crescendo and decrescendo (getting louder and getting softer). Could be a fun way to practice sound dynamics. It could also be swapped, so a decrescendo then crescendo.
  • @creative630 - the dynamics thing sounds like good practise! Unless you want to have it as a short stand-alone exercise, maybe a way of doing that is to incorporate them as a modifier for your main challenges? e.g. "on the next challenge try to have at least one instance of a crescendo and decrescendo"
    Thanked by 1creative630