D: ArcanoTrack

[edit]

Links to the version current at time of writing (v1.2.2):

Win32

Linux (i386) .deb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/edit]

The product of the past few days' development, and several before that of conceptual work.

The Win32 version should work under Windows 7; it may work under Windows XP, but it failed on my test machine

The Linux-i386 .deb version should work under Ubuntu (13.04 and 12.04 at least); I haven't tried the .pkg.tar.gz version.

If desired, I should be able to build Linux-amd64 (which I should be able to test) and OSX-i386 and OSX-PPC versions (which I'm not in a position to test).

Links:
<removed>

Genre: Games with horrible titles Top-down shooter.

The Game: Drive around a randomly-generated dungeon, blasting enemies room-by-room, until at last you face the twin bosses for the final battle!

Gameplay:
In short: tank treads. The 'N' key controls the left track, while the 'M' key controls the right track; operating only one track causes the ArcanoTrack to turn (and move forward a little, creating a turning circle of non-zero radius), while operating both causes it to move forwards.

The ArcanoTrack automatically fires a beam (which ignores walls) at enemies within a certain range and angle in front of it.

Clearing a room of enemies causes the destruction of the door to the next room, and the activation of the enemies beyond.

Story: None! :D

Known issues:
1) As mentioned above, may or may not work under Windows XP.
2) Under Ubuntu, you may find that "beam" weapons and some impact rings don't show up properly.
3) The AI is, well, barely extant. The enemies would probably be well-served with at the least some path-finding.
4) Doors seem to occasionally spawn in incorrect places.
5) The player and enemies occasionally spawn behind doors; this isn't a serious problem with enemies.
6) Every so often the hallways connecting rooms may be placed such that one can circumvent a door. There isn't much advantage to this, however, since rooms only become active after the previous room is cleared (the first room aside).
7) The game could perhaps use some additional balancing.

Comments

• edited
    Let's remedy that.
    Da story said:

In the year something-twelve of the reign of the Wizard Lord Arcano, he did decree that a series of labyrinths be constructed in nearby Drake Mountain to serve as an amusing picnic spot/secret training ground for wizards. These tunnels were populated with Drake Constructs, barely-thinking golems against which the trainees could exercise their skills and newfound power. And so it was done, and all was well for a time.

SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG™ D:

Where even a regiment of wizards does not stand a chance, there is the ArcanoTank. Born of the Wizard Lord's devising, this tracked metal titan can protect against the worst of magical attacks - for a time. Its magical Rae'Canyn Turret is able to damage the mightiest foes even as they cower behind stone.

Penetrate the labyrinth, find out WHAT HAS GONE WRONG™, and STOP IT.
    That was fun.

As is your game, btw. :P The track mechanic and accurate physics add a level of challenge to maneuvering the tank around, scrambling for that rapidly-diminishing cover in order to get a few shots in. I also like that you've put varying levels of enemy, although I couldn't tell at a glance which were fireball-spewers, and which were LaserDrakes. The way that enemies desaturate to indicate damage is simple but effective. I also got perverse joy out of shunting their lifeless corpses around with my tank. <_<

While the AI is rudimentary, I feel it serves its purpose. The only point where it was detrimental was where enemies would start tracking me early, meaning that they all piled up against a wall near the entrance to a room (clipping through each other in the process), and I just needed to sit in the entrance tunnel and wait as they were obliterated and the room cleared before even I needed to move in to see it. I reckon that would be remedied by activating their chase AI on sight of the tank rather than when clearing the previous room.

So far so good! Hopefully you have a chance to flesh it out a little more! :D
  • Quite fun, though I was a bit frustrated by the way in which you can't turn in-place, you have to move forwards all the time (I ended up spinning circles around the last enemy in a particular room for about 10 seconds before actually getting to kill him).

Also, I'm not sure if you intended it to be like this but I find that, because your attacks go through walls and the enemy attacks dont, you can often just sit on the opposite side of one of those small blocks and have your attacks kill all the enemies while they happily just sit there and die, unable to shoot you back (or at least not effectively). Apart from that though, I agree with @Gazza_N, the AI (simple as it may be) is generally sufficient but as you say, some pathfinding would probably help (and would fix all the issues of them standing behind walls).

And finally: installers :<
  • Neat game! Taking away the control from the shooting is a great opportunity to concentrate on the movement mechanics, and makes for quite a fun game :) Some comments:

1. The controls feel exactly opposite to what I expect it to be... I though N = turn left/anti-clockwise M = turn right/clockwise... And the entire time I find myself twitching the wrong way. Maybe it's a personal thing? Maybe an option to switch the axis would be good :P

2. It's kinda frustrating lining up your shot, maybe a small, minimal firing arc in front of the tank to tell you where your window of opportunity is?

3. If you can inject more variance and things to interact with the left right mechanic that'd be awesome!

4. Right now the only way I can win is to hide behind a corner and slowly shoot the horde behind it, not sure how to get around it - it's a combination of a few elements, I think: difficulty (number of opponent tanks), that they don't collision detect each other so they can bunch up and be one uber killing machine, the control mechanics, and the pretty much bulldog (relentless, always face the player) AI...

Good stuff! :D
  • D3zmodos said:
    Quite fun, though I was a bit frustrated by the way in which you can't turn in-place, you have to move forwards all the time (I ended up spinning circles around the last enemy in a particular room for about 10 seconds before actually getting to kill him).
    Tuism said:
    The controls feel exactly opposite to what I expect it to be... I though N = turn left/anti-clockwise M = turn right/clockwise... And the entire time I find myself twitching the wrong way. Maybe it's a personal thing? Maybe an option to switch the axis would be good :P
    These two things are actually what I liked about the game. The core challenge here is movement - firstly through understanding and mastering a track-centric control system rather than a direction-centric one, and then having the no-on-spot-turn constraint. To be honest, all I was yearning for was the option to reverse, but obviously this isn't within the limits of the control scheme. I will second the recommendation to increase the firing arc a little though.
    Thanked by 1Ratel
  • Hmmmm, I don't think creating controls that are counter-intuitive to the user should be the part of the constraint? Well, I don't know if everyone else experiences it the same as me, but it felt like If this was Snake and I pressed left to turn right :P The challenge should be the mechanic, not to counter the player's normal functioning?
  • I also felt the controls were a bit strange.. Why move forward when you rotating? Why not just move forward only when both buttons are pressed - like a real tracked vehicle would behave?
  • Moving forward while rotating is *actually* realistic. Cars will never just turn on spot...... Though we're talking tracked tanks :P That notwithstanding, I think it's ok for it to move forward while rotating, it's part of the control scheme, and makes moving forward kinda like skiing - left, right, left, right.

Does noone else feel that the axis is reversed? XD
  • Nope. :3 Right track turns, tank is forced left, and vice versa. It's track-centric control! It only seems backwards because you're used to direction-centric controls, and that's the game - mastering this unfamiliar steering system.

The tank would only turn on the spot if the opposite track ran in reverse in equal proportion to the primary one. Reverse isn't possible with two buttons, so...

Thaum's physics are rock solid. :)
  • Ohhh I see :)

Actually, then the question is - if a tank were fitted with a steering wheel, would it turn left if you turned the wheel left? :) I think it's a good point to question - is a "These controls mess me up, but I'm going to master them" more fun, or "These controls are invisible, now I can master the mechanics" more fun?

I don't have a right answer :P I'm a designer so I tend towards "user friendliness", which is to say, if I made a mecha game, I wouldn't make the user have to press keys to move the legs independently (a la qwop), but instead make them press forward to make the mech walk forward with both legs. Know what I mean?

If it's supposed to be a qwop-esque game then of course yes. I guess I'm questioning whether this should be like that :)
  • edited
    Hey good prototype so far, I don't mind the controls being "reversed", I just wanted two things more than anything else, one is the option to reverse "maybe double tap n to reverse right turn" and then a cone for the firing arch would help drastically for me, I enjoyed playing it is fun trying to figure out where the you are going.

Just two small bug reports, don't know if it has already been said but some enemies spawn inside the walls and sometimes bullets just spawn and stand still on the map, see screenshots below ->
    ss1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    ss2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
  • edited
    Wow, thank you everyone! I'm glad that it's fun, and the debate regarding the controls has been interesting to read. ^_^

First of all, Gazza's story is now nominated as the official canon story. :D
    I also got perverse joy out of shunting their lifeless corpses around with my tank. <_<
    That is fun. ^_^

As to the controls feeling that they're reversed, Gazza has it correct, I believe: the tank is controlled by running one or both of its tracks. Running the left track (controlled by the left of the two keys used) causes it to move forward a little, but, because there's only thrust on that side, it turns as well -- and turns to the right. The goal isn't really to emulate the experience of QWOP -- I'll confess that I don't think that I expected anyone to have trouble with the controls -- but rather to emulate simple "tank track" controls; something like a lever or joystick connected to each track.
    (I ended up spinning circles around the last enemy in a particular room for about 10 seconds before actually getting to kill him).
    If you end up in such a situation, try breaking away from the enemy (preferably while it's facing away from you) and re-engaging it.

LittleBear, thank you for reporting those bugs! I don't think that I've seen them occur on my side, but they have been noted.

There's no new build today, but I have implemented a few changes:
    - Gazza's suggestion regarding enemy activation has been implemented: they should now wander their room at random until the player approaches within a certain distance, at which point they attack. (I found that I didn't like having them sit idle while not chasing, and making the activation range far enough that one never sees them idle activates too many of them, I feel.
    - The "LaserDrakes" can now fire from farther away -- far enough, in fact, that they should be able to hit you from the other side of one of the obstacles scattered about the rooms. ;)

I like the idea of including a visual indicator of the firing region -- I'll hopefully include that in the next version. As to increasing the angle, if I recall correctly it already fires within an angle of about fourty-four degrees, and I don't want the game to become too easy. ;P

I'm tempted to look into a means of preventing their getting stuck behind walls -- I'll likely give it some thought, at the least.
    3. If you can inject more variance and things to interact with the left right mechanic that'd be awesome!
    Hmmm... Perhaps traps, or pressure-plate buttons?
    4. Right now the only way I can win is to hide behind a corner and slowly shoot the horde behind it, not sure how to get around it - it's a combination of a few elements, I think: difficulty (number of opponent tanks), that they don't collision detect each other so they can bunch up and be one uber killing machine, the control mechanics, and the pretty much bulldog (relentless, always face the player) AI...
    Hmm... I may try turning on enemy-to-enemy collision detection (I'm not sure of how stable Panda's built-in collision detection is in such circumstances, and am disinclined to switch over to Bullet in the time remaining); perhaps I should also consider having the enemies break away from combat, or even simply pause, every so often?
  • Gazza_N said:
    Let's remedy that.
    Da story said:

In the year something-twelve of the reign of the Wizard Lord Arcano, he did decree that a series of labyrinths be constructed in nearby Drake Mountain to serve as an amusing picnic spot/secret training ground for wizards. These tunnels were populated with Drake Constructs, barely-thinking golems against which the trainees could exercise their skills and newfound power. And so it was done, and all was well for a time.

SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG™ D:

Where even a regiment of wizards does not stand a chance, there is the ArcanoTank. Born of the Wizard Lord's devising, this tracked metal titan can protect against the worst of magical attacks - for a time. Its magical Rae'Canyn Turret is able to damage the mightiest foes even as they cower behind stone.

Penetrate the labyrinth, find out WHAT HAS GONE WRONG™, and STOP IT.
    Wait... So I've made a 2D action-roguelike fantasy version of Descent? :D
  • Count my vote towards tap-hold on a tread making that tread reverse. Could be interesting: hold N, tap M then hold M = spinning in a circle. Dunno if that would mess with the game too much, but it might create design room for interesting enemy types.
  • Hmm... I'm not yet entirely convinced that I want to allow turning on the spot -- I somewhat like that turning at the moment takes a little thought -- but I'll very much consider tap-hold to reverse nevertheless. Thank you! ^_^
  • edited
    I hadn't considered a double-tap, which is silly because other games in the comp have used it to great effect. -_-

I vote you try it out! While I quite like it as it is, reversal would add quite nicely to the controls-as-mechanic aspect.
    First of all, Gazza's story is now nominated as the official canon story. :D
    Hooray! Ken Levine, eat your heart out. :P
    Wait... So I've made a 2D action-roguelike fantasy version of Descent? :D
    Add six-axis movement and remove any concept of "down", then we'll talk. :P
  • edited
    Sorry, I seem to have forgotten to reply to this earlier:
    D3zmodos said:
    And finally: installers :<
    Are installers a bad thing? I'm inclined to imagine that installers are a positive thing -- they're rather less clunky than a zip file, I feel.

I'll hopefully have a new (and likely final) build later today (Tuesday) -- I was hoping to have it ready tonight, but an annoying movement bug seems to have crept into the Windows version. :/

I ended up deciding against tap-hold to reverse, for a few reasons:
    1) Manoeuvring is part of the challenge, as I see it, and I was concerned that allowing reversing and turning circles of near-zero radius would make the gameplay too easy.
    2) I really don't like button-combo gameplay (which is one reason that I've commented on only a few of the games posted for the competition, as I recall: I don't feel that I'm likely to produce a terribly useful report of them); I'm not terribly good at it, and it tends to rub me the wrong way. The proposed input was pretty light as such mechanisms go, but I decided that I preferred to not pursue it.
    3) I'm getting a little tired of this game now, and have other projects that I want to return to. ^^;;

In summary, the new build should include various changes and fixes, including (off of the top of my head):
    - "Attack-zone" visualisation for the player tank.
    - Traps -- easily spotted, admittedly, but still occasionally dangerous while manoeuvring...
    - A change of colour for the fireball enemies and bosses, as well as a minor change to the colour-shift health visualisation; hopefully these will make the fireball-spewers more distinct from the Laser-Drakes than they were, while keeping the health visualisation fairly clear.
    - Enemies should now be harder to kite out of a room, instead turning around and heading back if the player doesn't stay close.
    - Enemies should now wander their rooms at random until they "notice" the player.
    - Changes to the sections of code that place walls, enemies and players; these should now be a little less likely to cause problems, although I imagine that some issues remain.
    - Enemies should now collide with each other, preventing them from merging into death-spewing uni-golems.
    Gazza_N said:
    Hooray! Ken Levine, eat your heart out. :P
    ... That would require impressive flexibility. :P
    Add six-axis movement and remove any concept of "down", then we'll talk. :P
    I did say "2D": six-axis movement and a lack of a "down" in 3D seems to me to correspond to four-axis movement and lack of a universal "forward" or "back" in 2D; I'm only really missing fully-free movement. :P
  • At last, after ten thousand years, it's free!

(Well, okay, I wasn't asking for money beforehand -- but it's still free! :P)

The new links should be at the top of the first post; I've only included Win32 and Linux-i386 .deb builds, but Linux-i386 .pkg.tar.gz, Linux-amd64 and OSX builds can be provided if desired -- save that I may not be in a position to test all of those.

This is intended to be the final version of ArcanoTrack, unless serious issues are discovered before the deadline.

Nevertheless, comments and criticism are more than welcome! ^_^
  • :O Power Rangers reference!

This plays much better with all the improvements. The visible hitcone in particular makes play feel a lot better. The ability to discern between enemy types is great, and with the new AI and collision systems they feel fair and challenging.

Also, damn those traps. Always in the least convenient locations possible (to the credit of your level generator). :<
    Enemies should now collide with each other, preventing them from merging into death-spewing uni-golems.
    I... quite like that idea. If you were going to develop the game further I'd suggest it would make for an interesting new enemy type!
  • More speeeed! I always get thrown by "opposite" type controls like this. And I want it to go wildly wrong! Like there's a drunk manning that tank. Cracks me up every time :)
  • @Gazza: I'm glad that it's improved, thank you! ^_^

With regards to the traps, in all fairness I'm pretty sure that they simply get placed at random -- but the levels are small enough, and the tank-controls limiting enough, that they can nevertheless be dangerous, especially in later rooms.

Regarding the uni-golem, perhaps -- I would want to limit their doing so, rather than allowing any and all of them to pile together, as that's not too far off of the situation that Tuism reported and which prompted me to add enemy-to-enemy collision, as I recall. Perhaps a third enemy type that can combine, like a great metal amoeba, becoming more powerful the more of its own it absorbs and splitting into its component golems as it's damaged.

@Kixie: Heheh, that's actually kinda tempting! :P

Hmm... Such a control scheme -- that is to say, with your speed suggestion incorporated -- might work better in a co-op or player-vs.-player game, in which one's mistakes affect someone else...

(But that calls for significant changes, I imagine: more controls, to allow the player to take command of the weapons, at the least.)
  • Perhaps a third enemy type that can combine, like a great metal amoeba, becoming more powerful the more of its own it absorbs and splitting into its component golems as it's damaged.
    That's more or less what I had in mind, rather than the clipped mass of enemies that you've just fixed. A shame to undo that given how much better it made the game. :P
  • Ah, fair enough -- that could be an interesting enemy, I do think. ^_^

In all fairness, however, I think that making a decent game of this would likely call for giving up the two-button restriction and broadening the gameplay somewhat; perhaps keep the track controls (in order to encourage the fun that Kixie describes), but add player-operated weapons firing, a variety of weapons, larger levels, enemies of greater "intelligence" and perhaps some additional mechanics. At that point, however, it's a project that's rather larger than my interest in it sustains.
  • Fair enough. You've solidly stated that this is as far as your involvement on the project is going to go (since you certainly have a much larger project to get to), but you'll forgive me for punting ideas regardless. :P
  • I enjoyed your final revision (dunno if I commented earlier, looks like not, though). It's a shame you're not going to go further with the idea, because I actually believe there's a lot you could do while still honouring the two-button system. :)

I know that this is basically disguised as an action game, but in playing through and using the environment with care and wit, it felt like far more of a puzzle I was solving than a bang-bang-shoot-shoot sorta game. ;)
  • That's an interesting idea, I guess it's entirely possible to jig the game through balancing damages, level design and enemy behaviour to be much more puzzle oriented than action-oriented, kinda like stealth games.
  • I wouldn't even balance damage. If this game moved in a particular direction, you could have individual rooms of challenging and well-placed opponents / obstacles / doodads where one-shot-kill is the order of the day and firing cones and AI rules matter more than hit points.

If this ends up being the case, I'd also zoom out the view so that players can see an entire room in advance and thus be able to plan ahead more. :)
  • One-shot-kill was actually more or less what I meant by balancing damage - right now the tank soaks up damage and there's little incentive to dodge until you're almost gone, and by that time it's a bit too late to do anything about your strategy or health, leading to having to restart.

So yeah! Totally agreed, would be a fun puzzle game (kinda like Ending on iOS but of course less restrictive)
  • I'll confess that I'm somewhat surprised (and pleased!) that the game has met with such positive reception. Thank you all! ^_^

@Gazza: Of course! I'm hardly inclined to put a stop to the flow of ideas, I think. ^_^
    ... right now the tank soaks up damage and there's little incentive to dodge until you're almost gone, and by that time it's a bit too late to do anything about your strategy or health, leading to having to restart.
    But isn't the threat of ending up low on health and having the tank destroyed incentive enough to dodge?
  • Dodging is very inefficient in damage exchange terms, so it rarely feels like a good idea. :P It seems almost unavoidable to take large amounts of damage just trying to get out of enemy firing arcs.

You generally need to be in a strong position at the *beginning* of a fight, else things often go very badly quite quickly. ;)
  • Yep, hence if you change the damage vector up you'll create the situation where you'll be forced to figure out the right way to attack from the start, rather than taking loads of damage, then realising later in the level that you're screwed cos you've taken damage earlier, and having to start over :)

Making it more a tactical approach than a "i hope i'll survive this" approach :)
  • Hmm... Perhaps I was misunderstanding you two: it seems to me that dodging -- that is to say, rapid movement intended to avoid specific incoming attacks -- is indeed a poor strategy in this game, while I've found tactical retreats (especially employing obstacles and corners to slow or stop the enemy) to be very useful indeed if one finds oneself in enemy firing cones.

I do seem to recall that I've survived (admittedly not often survived the bosses ^^; ) when starting at low health, and relying on the health boosts awarded at the end of each room to rebuild strength ahead of the boss room.
  • So what you're saying seems to describe what I mean - it's difficult to dodge now, leading to situations where you try to either tactically manoeuvre correctly, or to "brute force" your way through by taking a bunch of damage and hopefully surviving.

But the problem with the brute force method is that you don't know if you'll survive later, and if you don't, you made a bad choice that you're being punished for later, without knowing earlier, resulting you having to restart from the beginning.

If you have less life or maybe just one-shot died, you'd HAVE TO tactically manoeuvre, and if you die, you know instantly you're doing it wrong, and didn't have to find out later.
  • Hmm... I see what you're saying, I think. Perhaps I didn't notice the issue because my instinct in action games tends to strongly favour avoiding damage; I suppose that I tend to feel that I'm "doing it wrong" if I'm taking much damage at all.

I don't think that I like the idea of one-shot kills from the majority of enemies; my instinct is that, with ArcanoTrack's tricky controls, one-hit kills would likely be a little overpowered.

Perhaps instead switching to a "hearts" system might work better: discretise health into atomic units and give the player only a small number of them -- five to ten, perhaps. Normal shots then take off an entire heart, hopefully communicating "getting hit is very much to be avoided" without leaving the player to restart after taking only a hit or two.