A roguelikelike

edited in Projects
tl;dr Making roguelike 100 000 000 008, play what I've built so far, tell me what you think.

CONTROLS:

WASD to move
Left Click to shoot a ball
Right Click to generate a new map
Keep in Left Shift to zoom out
q to make the map smaller, e to make it bigger (you have to generate a new map to see the effect)
z to toggle orthographic/perspective projection

So last week I came across this cool article about level generation in wasteland kings and I got really excited and started building roguelike stuff. This is what I've got so far.

The goal is to just finish a fucking game.

What do you think I should add next?

Comments

• Some sort of reason for the player to be firing balls, maybe?

Would firing and non-grid-based movement be the key things there? What if time only progressed as the player moved, but your firing time took a while to happen, so you had to basically move about on a very "fine" grid in a turn-based manner and herd monsters into your damage cones?

I dunno, some sort of combat mechanic and/or player stats interaction would make sense as the next step.
  • edited
    Is right click meant to generate a new level?

Made me think it might be quite cool to do a survival Rogue-like. Each level is kind of small and quick to explore but keeps pouring in progressively difficult waves of monsters. So the object would be to survive in each level as long as possible and to loot as much as possible and gain as much XP as possible before fleeing to the next dungeon/story. The longer you stay in one level the riskier it gets, but the better your chances of surviving for a while in the following level.

But... like Dislekcia said... really you need some combat and stats (and a way to die or to win) first.
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • edited
    Some sort of reason for the player to be firing balls, maybe?
    The balls were a side product of an idea I had:

<tangent> I usually find the angle between the player and the cursor with some trig and add set the ball's position to

xPos += speed*cos(angle)
    yPos += speed*sin(angle)

But I thought: wait! wouldn't it be easier if I found a unit vector that points from the player to the cursor and add that to the balls position every step?

directionVector = cursorPos - playerPos
    directionVector /= |directionVector|
    ballPos += directionVector * speed

It actually worked so I kept it in :) </tangent>
    Would firing and non-grid-based movement be the key things there? What if time only progressed as the player moved, but your firing time took a while to happen, so you had to basically move about on a very "fine" grid in a turn-based manner and herd monsters into your damage cones?
    Definitely not but I really like the idea of a fast paced "action roguelike" and I'm not sure if a turn based game can capture the spirit of that. Although baiting as many enemies as possible and blasting them would be pretty rad. Terrorism: The fishing simulation.

My thinking is that each level repeats the same set of objectives which become harder to meet as the game progresses: eg

* Find terminal -> Terminal opens door
    * <combat/action mechanic>
    * Find door -> Next level -> random power up
    * Increase difficulty, repeat
    But... like Dislekcia said... really you need some combat and stats (and a way to die or to win) first.
    I'll think of something over the course of the week

• edited
    Update!

Made mistake with rotation

So I thought I'd turn it into a first person dungeon crawler

Now working on getting corners and sides to make walls, then on to doom style fps
  • I love that first image actually, could work great as a dungeon... Platformer/digdug type thing. Looks cool :)