Oceana

edited in Projects
Hi everyone.

https://heartdoor.itch.io/oceana
Took a while but here is a playable demo of Oceana. As is its typical with god/sim games it took a while to get to this stage.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.
Right out the door, this is a strange game its made of 3 parts.
1-you managing the island
2-the tribe surviving on the island
3-you forming a relationship with the tribe

Part 3 is still under construction so isn't really visible in this demo but you can have a brief conversation with tribe members even though it doesn't do anything yet.

Pacing is currently weird as hell as I am now trying to balance the 3 parts time-wise. So this will be worked on right now moving forward.

There is only 1 biome in the game atm, but the idea is as you keep exploring more open up. Give you new tiles with new mechanics.

This is the pre-alpha demo. The structure of the game isn't stable yet but the first 2 parts, island management and tribe survival is here.

Discord:
https://discord.gg/xUdbWSjy4p

Thanked by 3Jay Derilium konman

Comments

• I played this for a bit. It's interesting and quite unlike most other games! Some thoughts:

- I didn't really know what I was meant to be doing most of the time. The popup instructions helped a bit
    - It was a bit confusing how I could control the island, while also moving things around. Is there a plan with the movement, or maybe it would be simpler if your island moved automatically, at least initially?
    - My people seemed quite unhappy, and I didn't know how to help them :(
    - I accidentally opened the info/debug popup panel and struggled to close it
    - My people hadn't invented? fire by the time night came around, and the game was super dark and difficult to see
    - It reminds me a bit of Little Alchemy and the exploring aspect of that
    - I think some more hand-holding at the start might be helpful, to ease players into the experience
    - Idea: maybe you can see other advanced islands float by, to give you an idea of what to aim for?