[WIP] Pharaoh Dynasty

edited in Projects
This is my work-in-progress entry for the April and May 2013 Experimental Gameplay Project competition.

It's called Pharaoh Dynasty, the goal is to earn dynasty points by completing statues, monuments and your tomb in your pharaoh's lifetime. You control an Egyptian royal dynasty and, like Crusader Kings 2, you take the role of a head of the family; if your character dies it's not the end of the game, you just take control of the next head. If front of you is an area nominated by the priests as most auspicious for building a momentum to your dynasty and you can commission various buildings to be built there. When a construction is complete you are awarded dynasty points. If your character dies before it's completed you are awarded 0 points but the building stays, uncompleted, making it harder for the next pharaoh to find a location to build.

Build
Play Online!

Instructions
Left-click and hold with the mouse to place a pyramid. Drag and move the mouse to scale and rotate the building.

Todo
*Everything

Comments

• edited
    I got so many pyramids! *Best Pharaoh Evar!*

It definitely has an experimental feel :P I'll check back later for progress!
  • Found a weird bug. If I click-and-drag somewhere near the edge of the game area, a new pyramid isn't placed. Instead, when I then release the mouse button, it changes my last placed pyramid.
  • Ah, I see. I think it's because my mouse collision box isn't big enough for the screen size. In the words of Felix Jr. "I can fix it!"
  • Haha, good man. I like how my screen looks like a weather chart by the end of it. :P
  • Minor update, now with pseudo-sand dunes, and fixing the corner issue.
  • edited
    I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THERES NO SCREENSHAKE
    Thanked by 1Merrik
  • Screenshake will be coming. Every so generations the sands will bury older and random buildings, freeing up the play space while forcing you to work around the still-standing ones.
  • Are you going to have random factors that prevent building creation wherever the player wants to put things? Stuff like villager huts (that you could demolish if you were ok with pissing people off), rivers, etc.
  • Yip, there'll be statue carvers workshops, incense makers dens and cat embalming studios. The gods will also get uppity if there aren't enough statues to them although what curses they might throw down I haven't thought about yet.

I've got location collision checking working which I'll upload when I have proper Internet. What I have to figure out now is how to display text using SpriteManager.
  • Minor update uploaded. There's building collision now preventing overlaps; although I'll admit there seems to be an edge case where you can get it to happen.

A lot more should happen over the weekend including making it a proper "game" with a victory condition.