Art shenanigans

edited in Projects
Hi everyone, for those that weren't at this weeks meetup I'm the new guy, Chris. I'm a Designer/Developer at a telecommunications company and I am working on a game in my free time. I work in unity in C# and the occasional javascript and devote almost all of my time to my art, which I'm very keen to improve. I'm working on a portolfio this year which I'm hoping can get me a scholarship in an art school which would help me in my quest to become a professional concept artist.

In any case, I'll occasionally put some of my stuff up here, so tell me what you think!

Here is an oil painting I am currently working on as an environment. I work on this on sundays and I'm hoping to add it to my portfolio once it's done

This is the main character in the game I'm creating

And here is my first attempt at sculpting for a high poly mesh. unfortunately, I worked on this in blender and for some reason or another blender keeps on crashing on my pc. Luckily I've finally made the switch to zbrush, though I've had to start from scratch. in any case, here is the original.

There are a lot of other images but I'd like to keep it down to the important ones. If you'd like to see my sketch book you can find it here http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?238149-Dando-s-sketchbook&p=3422481#post3422481
Thanked by 1Bensonance

Comments

• edited
    Nice work! :)

The sculpt's looking quite lumpy. What I usually do is to work with hard planes at first, making sure that the various planes of the body face the correct direction, and that the angles between the planes are clear. (The same goes for just about everything else, including cloth.) Afterwards, if you smooth out the angles and add details, you're working on a strong foundation. If the base isn't clear, no amount of detail work will make it strong.

An example of what I mean:
  • Thanks Ely :) would you create those hard planes on your base mesh? Or the draft of your sculpt?
  • edited
    It depends on how you're working: If you're creating a base mesh in your modelling app, then you'd want to keep those planes in mind when you model (although your actual topology of course would be kept quite even for easy sculpting). Alternatively, if you're generating your base mesh using ZSpheres or Dynamesh, then you'd be sculpting those planes in when you start (probably with some combination of the ClayTubes, TrimDynamic or Flatten brushes).

Either way, the thing to take away here is to observe and study the angles of the planes, and which areas you'd be softening up and which angles you'd be keeping hard (an excellent way of suggesting what bits are bony, and which bits are muscle or fat). How you get to that result with whatever software you end up using is kind of trivial in comparison. ;)

Your first sculpt is far, far better than my first one ever was. Keep up the drawing and painting, study some anatomy, and your sculpts will be kicking ass in no time*! :)

(* also known as 6-24 months depending on effort :P )
  • Thanks again :) on a side note, how do you rotate and pan in zbrush using a wacom tablet? do you just click outside of the model? or do you have special bindings? at the moment I set the button on my pen to right click and one of my buttons to alt but the right click menu is driving me crazy
  • You can either click and drag outside of the model, or right click and drag anywhere in the viewport. There... shouldn't be a right click menu by default, so I dunno what you're getting there...

When I first started using it, I got super frustrated tumbling the view around in any direction. Holding Shift lets you snap your to an orthographic view, which helps if you've somehow gotten yourself into some crazy angle.
    Thanked by 1damousey
  • Thanks, I'm going to start my next model with accurate planes, I'll post the results when I have something
  • Hi guys, I've had to rework my base model, and this is the result.
    I started with a zsphere and have been working up through subdivision levels to get the mesh I have now. It still needs abit of work, but here it is.

once it's done, I will use it to create my main character's model, which I will then retopologise and probably animate through blender before trying it in unity
  • edited
    I'm not sure what you're aiming to get out of this, so if I'm being hypercritical, just shout. :) Like, if you're aiming to be a concept artist, being a great sculptor isn't really that important (although having sound knowledge of anatomy's still vital).

You've got good proportions, and a decent start to the planes of the head, but the rest is still looking very lumpy! I'd either go in with TrimDynamic and simplify all of the forms, or I'd step down a couple of subdivisions and make sure the base is really good (and delete the higher ones) before going back up.

Also, use reference. Observe and study. Know what's actually there. You can only create things based on what you've seen.

imageimage
    (Both of these images, and the head above, are done by Philippe Faraut. He sells sculpts of the planes of the body, and although I don't own any yet, they're incredibly good.)

Which art schools have you researched? :)
  • The plan is that I'd like to study at an art school some day, my first choice would be concept art but I'm finding that I like 3d more and more. If I could have it my way, I would try to study at the art department in america, but they are notoriously hard to get into. I've got a stable job, but saving up 400k for tuition is... unrealistic to say the least, so what I want to do is study every day for a year or more, build up the best portfolio I can in that time and present it to them and try to get a scholarship. If it doesn't get accepted, I can either try somewhere else or use that portfolio to try and get a job in the industry. My other choice is to just save my ass off until I can just pay the school fees or get a student loan, though that would be some time from now.

Anyways, I find it hard to draw without a long term goal in mind so what I'm doing is attempting to make a simple game using my free time which I will create all the assets for, starting with the concepts. I program for a living and I've slowly learnt the unity API to the degree that I can make something using it. Whenever I need something new for the game, I sit down an conceptualise it, create a rough concept etc until eventually I have a modelled asset I can use. This is painstakingly slow without a team, but I know I'll never be able to finish the whole project the way I want to, so it just keeps me busy with new work.

Thanks again for the critique, I'm going to flatten a lot of faces this evening to get those planes. Now that I see that bust, my torso looks a bit off, especially at the top. zbrush's ui is a bit confusing, but I think I've got a hold of it now, the amount of tools at your disposal is astonishing, I've watched some videos online highlighting features and it blows my mind that there are programmers out there able to create some of this stuff. Trim dynamic is a godlike tool, I don't know how I survived without it in blender :)
  • Just wanted to say that sculpt thee is amazing! I love those facets!
  • Today, I made some alterations to my base mesh's torso. the back still needs a bit of work though. Unfortunately, the head has a lot less polygons then the rest of the body which is making it hard to put some details on it.

• That is at least 1000x better! :D Nice work!

The border of your traps is a bit too thick, and the sternocleidomastoids are more slanted than that, meeting at about 2-3cm apart. :)

Keen to see more! :)
  • Thanks man :) I'll have a go at the neck tonight and possibly the arms. The polycount of his head is too low to create the lips and other smaller features, do you have any advice? I'm thinking of using dynamesh but I'm worried it will create problems later on (in terms of UV mapping and retopology). what do you think?
  • And now for something a little different... I've created a dialogue system similar to the ones seen in the final fantasy games. you'll have an action button that you press which will skip to the next part, fade in the camera, change scenes etc. basically, it uses a coroutine to make sure that each function runs in order. there is a function for the dialogue box itself that you pass dimensions and dialogue and it will appropriately render them. What I want to do next is extend the unity gui so that you can add new events in a kind of easy to use gui, depending on what collider you've selected so that in the end large scenes can be scripted with ease.

• The stuff you can't do with a lower res mesh isn't all that important anyway in my opinion. Rather get a solid base: when you've got that, then adding details is pretty easy.

Dynamesh is awesome. What's particularly nice about it is that it forces you not to be focused on details, because so many of them get lost when you remesh. You (99% of the time) only have to worry about UVs in your lowpoly, and retopology usually involves having to create a brand new mesh anyway, so while you're doing your highpoly I don't think UVs should even be a consideration...
  • From what I understand, I will eventually have to mark seems on the high poly mesh in order to get it's normal maps and things like that. I have a sneaking suspicion though that that is not the case and the detail is instead projected onto the low poly mesh, though that doesn't sound possible. in blender I would normally bake an occlusion map from my high poly mesh and then just move my UV coordinates of my low poly mesh over it, is it the same with zbrush?
  • Yeeeeeahhhh. It... should not be like that at all. :P What you're doing could work, but only with an enormous amount of fiddling, partly because doing the UVs of a highpoly mesh can be a lagfest and the relax algorithms take much longer to compute/converge, and partly because trying to get one set of UVs to be laid over maps baked on another set is almost guaranteed to result in some nasty seams.
    I have a sneaking suspicion though that that is not the case and the detail is instead projected onto the low poly mesh
    Yeah, it's this.

Read this: http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap

Shout if there's stuff you don't understand.
  • That's a huge relief, I was so worried about how I was going to piece it all together. Thanks so much for your help again, I can't wait to try it out
  • I didn't get a lot of time to work tonight but I turned on dynamesh and started on the planes of the head

• Ok, I've got quite a haul to show here today.

Firstly, I've been keeping at it with the base model. today I worked on the legs, and the arms have seen some definition too. unfortunately, some areas have begun to meld together due to their proximity

I've also worked on my environment a bit

• Hi folks, I've been at the face a bit tonight, here are the results
  • YAY! :D Such a huge, huge improvement. :D

There are details that could be tightened up, but I'd suggest trying to get the rest of the body to this level first before moving on. :)
  • Thanks man :) I owe it to you. I'm a bit concerned about the realism of the anatomy of the sides of the torso and the legs, so I will be working on them next
  • After much head scratching I was able to separate my models toes, and his arms from his torso. Though I know in the future the best protection against this kind of thing is to watch out for the mesh melding and undo it appropriately, it's nice to be able to fix it if it happens again.

Today I spent a bit of time refining my model's legs. I didn't have a 3d reference for the planes of the legs, so I used george bridgman's book and an anatomy program for chrome by the name of biodigital human. They're a little "large" at the moment,
    bordering on rugby player size, but I'd like to start with something small and work down to get where I want to be for whichever character i make at the time.

• After getting the thumbs up for my anatomy, I've begun with some hard details, keeping my previous sculpt as a back-up. The legs could still use some work, but I think they'll look a lot more sensible once I've smoothed them out a bit. I began with the rake tool, as in a tutorial I was told that it is a good way to create a realistic skin texture with it, though I think I overdid it slightly. I've swapped my previous concept's hairstyle for something a bit more unusual and less effeminate. This is what I have so far

• edited
    Have you worked on the rest of the body beyond what you showed in the previous post? The anatomy's really not very good there. :P The shape of the pelvis and quads is very inaccurate, and the rest is looking lumpy... :/

I mean, I'm just throwing it out there. If getting stuck on that kills your will to work on it, then sure, ignore it (for now!) and do fun stuff to keep the enthusiasm going, but I'd definitely recommend investing in some good, solid anatomy studies if you're planning to make more characters in future. ;)

I also think you're spending a lot of time going into fine details, instead of getting the foundations right. Yes, ZBrush (and other sculpting apps) allow you to dive in and do micro detail. But at the end of the day, the Statue of David, the Pietta, all of these other gorgeous pieces... don't actually have skin texture, and yet they look damn beautiful. They have a great base, at which point whether or not you add microdetail becomes a stylistic choice... :)

Otherwise, the face proportions seem decent, but it lost a lot of the structure that made the previous face so strong.

Check out Scott Eaton's work. There's texture there, but it's a result of his working loosely, and gradually refining, and not because he purposefully went through each little thing with some kind of micro detail brush. And it looks so good.

Some other useful reference:
    Kevin Chen's stuff on CA.o
    So many images, but so, so cool. Kevin Chen's drawings rock.
  • Thanks man, in hindsight, I go a bit impatient and sped forward without resolving problems with the legs and pelvis, luckily I backed it up so I'm going to work from the place I was in the earlier post. The legs are proving to be a lot more complex than I previously thought, I think I'm going to take your advice and do a few leg and pelvis studies before I continue. From what I gather, scott eaton's course has a section on legs where they begin with the bones of the leg and thighs and then create the muscles surrounding them. whether that's true or not, I'm going to give that a shot. At the moment I'm using bridgman's book and a medical anatomy book for reference, I'm going to incorporate what I've seen from your links. Thanks again for the help!
  • I'm taking a little break from 3d for a while to do some 2d art
    This is an update of my previous character. I wasn't too sold on his pose so I'm trying to spice it up a bit, but that's why his right arm is so incomplete

• Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted here, so I've decided to share what I've been working on.

When I have free time, I work on this turn based combat system. at the moment I've gotten it to render each player character and make sure that it inherits from it's own class, as well as save after a fight. you can create a combat scenario , where you place those silver disks around your terrain (very simple in this example, obviously. wherever the disks are, you can spawn players or mobs. your characters will also appear on them depending on their order in your main menu. my plan is to try and tell a story with many, many characters and thus you can have up to 9 members in your party at a time.

In order to arrange the turns, the code first looks at who is in your party, finds their speed stat, adds it to a total and then gives each character a ratio depending on his or her speed. every turn, that ratio increases upon itself until it reaches 10, and then a new turn is added to the list.

therefore, if a player has half of the total speed of every unit in the scenario, he will get "5" each turn, therefore he will get half the turns. in the picture above, harold is very slow, but thomas and richard are about the same speeds.

In the end I would like to create an rpg where the reward for progress is not strength but a variety of choices available to each character. your characters will not be able to deal a higher amount of dps as the game progresses, but will be able to dish it out in different ways, which will be essential to victory.

Anyway, there's a lot more to it, but I'll reveal more as I work on it.