[Event] AMAZE - Germany

edited in Events
Amaze is happening again (first in Germany, which we will be focusing on for a while), the game submission window is tight though (from our side). If you have a really cool game that you would like to show at Amaze in Germany let us know here in this thread, the organisers have asked for 5 or so games from South Africa to show.

It will be taking place somewhere around the 24th to the 26th of April.

Submission:
Give us a link to the playable game if possible (plus any other awesome material to help find that your game is the most awesome game to send).

Please submit your BEFORE 20th Feb

Also, depending on how things pan out there might be trips to Germany involved if we can get submissions done in time and organise with the people that made the games.

Edit: updated info

Comments

• A friend of mine was interested. How much more time could we get?
  • You can keep working on your game after the submission to make it better, but the submission deadline is still there, and it has to be something playable (we cannot choose games and then they arent playable for Amaze)
  • @edg3, when is the submission deadline? I'm not sure if I'm just missing it in the post...
  • We will need the Submissions no later than the 20th of February. This will enable us to make the final selection and to submit funding application to take the games through.
  • I would like to submit Cute McThief, who do I need to contact?
  • I would like to submit zX
  • edited
    Could we also submit Death Laser. We don't have a demo up yet, but we have some gameplay videos on youtube.

• @DirkieK: Ha, cool! :D Looks as if you upped the move speed! :D

I'd love if we could somehow play it on the projector next time. :)
  • @Elyaradine: Yeah, trying to get all the feedback in. Was very cool that so many people gave it a try and provided feedback. I'll add some gamma controls, maybe we can tweak it until it looks okay :)
  • Um. Should we submit Desktop Dungeons? Is that ok/allowed? Should we not do that so that other people can exhibit stuff?
  • I did say I want to submit Cute McThief right? Busy with a proper level
  • @dislekcia I'd like to see Desktop Dungeons submitted. It's a great representative of South African games.
    I will be posting my official link for the zX demo to the forum before midnight tonight, busy fixing some elements before I post. Good luck to everyone who submitted.
  • Thorsten expressed his interest in "A Game About AIDS". Not sure if Stray_Train is interested in submitting it or working on it any more. (I think it is Stray_Train who did that, unless Thorsten meant something else by "HIV Game")

I'd like to submit Broforce.

And also Strange Happenings on Murder Island.

And also Bass Cannon... assuming we improve upon it a bit, which I am looking forward to doing... as it stands I wouldn't want it shown at A MAZE. But I do believe it'd be a fun and engrossing show floor piece with just a little work.
  • I'd like to submit MiniHorde for consideration.

I still intend to:
    - Add sound and 4 player gamepad support
    - Redesign the GUI/HUD
    - Improve AI path-finding/behavior.
  • @Merrik: Dude! Your game jam game would get crowds like nobody's business :)
  • @dislekcia: Oh cool. It's still pretty rough. I haven't done much work on it since the jam.
    I guess there's no harm in submitting whats there though. I'm still trying to figure out where to go with the game loop.
  • ...and here is my official submission of zX for A MAZE: http://www.retrofuturehub.com/zx.html
    The link is on the page, including a link to the Steam Greenlight page and screenshots. Still gonna do some tweaking and adding Nick's beautiful music to the game, but here is a stable, playable demo of the games current state.
  • @Merrik said:
    @dislekcia: Oh cool. It's still pretty rough. I haven't done much work on it since the jam.
    I guess there's no harm in submitting whats there though. I'm still trying to figure out where to go with the game loop.
    Just polish it: Add scoring animations to the individual colours, make it support gamepads, add in a menu and call it done :)
  • edited
    [quote = Merrik]@dislekcia: Oh cool. It's still pretty rough. I haven't done much work on it since the jam.
    I guess there's no harm in submitting whats there though. I'm still trying to figure out where to go with the game loop.[/quote]

And sound effects plz! Maz's music is feeling lonely. Let me know if you need help from our sound libraries.
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky I'd love to take credit for the music in MiniHorde but it was made by Mattew Miller :)

Edit: Oops, I see now that the discussion was about the game jam game :/
  • BlackShipsFilltheSky said:
    And sound effects plz!
    Yes! I keep putting it off because I'm pretty inexperienced with sound design, but I'm not going get better if I don't practice.
  • I would like to submit our game Apoptosis.
    Download it here http://globalgamejam.org/2013/apoptosis and play!!!
  • Merrik said:

Yes! I keep putting it off because I'm pretty inexperienced with sound design, but I'm not going get better if I don't practice.
    And if you get stuck you can ask for help :)
  • @edg3 @hanli Who is doing the selection?, The community or the Thorsten at AMAZE? When are they submissions being selected?
  • was I meant to post the link on this forum?
  • The MGSA committee will be doing the selections... sometime since we would like to organize funding for plane flights (if that is possible)...

We might also get some input from Thorsten about the selection, obviously we want to select games that fit into the A MAZE festival's message.

@Apoptosis I think your post here is fine for the selection thing. It might be nice to make a thread about Apoptosis if you want to get feedback from some of the users here and post updates etc.
    Thanked by 2hanli edg3
  • @edg3 @hanli @BlackShipsFilltheSky
    How is the judging process going? When are the announcements being made?
    Thanked by 1retroFuture
  • @ProjectX I'm told you have a project you'd like to submit for AMaze but I don't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread. Where can we see the project?

For an update for everyone, we've narrowed the list to 6 or 7 entries we'd like to submit from which we must select 5. Our next step is probably reaching out to the developers about their ability to polish their game before we make our final selection.
  • @aodendaal I submitted it via @hanli and @edg3. The reason being is I don't want ppl other than the judges having access to it... has to do with my marketing strategy... don't wanna explain more than that... so they each have a copy
  • Oy vey, especially since we asked people to post their games here so we can look at them. Neither @hanli nor @edg3 have shared your game with the rest of the judges and we're now down to the short list. PM the details and I'll share it with the committee members and see what they say.
  • I'm actually pretty sure I did send it on, but I'll check. I do however agree that entries should have been posted, or at least mentioned, here.
  • Ok well...

Book Of Blood is a survival shooter set in the twisted mind of a bored, sadistic school kid. You play the role of a hero trying to survive the demons that this kid doodles, in his note books. The original thread is here: http://makegamessa.com/discussion/200/book-of-blood. The demo link no longer works because I purposefully took it down for marketing related reasons. It is important to note that the game has some procedurally generated aspects. Consult the abovementioned original thread.
  • @ProjectX: Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear... "Marketing" through obscurity is pretty much the worst idea in the world.

1. Nobody knows about your game. Even when it's been released, nobody knows about your game. No, you're not talking about it too much. Do not sabotage your game further by refusing to create discussion about it.

2. Obscurity/rarity doesn't work. The media will not give a shit about a game that doesn't have any mentions anywhere, they, like everyone else, have to hear about a game at least 5 times before they'll go "Okay, I've heard of this, I wonder what the hell it's all about" and play the game. Even the games that you think successfully employed this strategy weren't obscure - they had designers that were famous. No obscurity/rarity there.

3. You're killing your game early by preventing useful feedback. Actual players will ALWAYS do something that breaks your game code or your game design. By not putting the game in front of players, you're hamstringing your ability to design cool shit. And sometimes, the best thing playtesting can give you is the perspective to realise that you should stop working on a prototype that doesn't have legs.
  • @dislekcia:
    Well I appreciate your concern and feedback, the game's thread was around for ages. I have received lot's of useful feedback when we were using the email system before MGSA forums and the many times I've presented at JHB meets. But don't worry I'll put up the link again later this evening and you shall see why I didn't want too... Cool
  • http://bit.ly/YTftSC

You guys can all play the latest demo of Book Of Blood. There is no buy/donate link on the page yet... That's ultimately what I was waiting for before starting viral marketing.
  • edited
    @ProjectX said:
    But don't worry I'll put up the link again later this evening and you shall see why I didn't want too... Cool
    Thanks for putting up the link. I'm not sure I understand why you didn't want to earlier.

Sorry, but I'm not going to tweet about a game I haven't had to the chance to see at all, especially not an auto-tweet. I respect my followers and don't want to spam them :(
  • Any news yet on when the 5 selections are to be announced? Will the selected candidates still be sent to Germany?
  • edited
    Here is the selection we'd like to submit:

A Day in the Woods (by RetroEpic)
    Broforce (by Free Lives)
    Desktop Dungeons (by QCF)
    Escape Velocity (by Richard Pieterse)
    zX (by RetroFuture)

However as of this moment we haven't been able to get hold of RetroEpic. We would really like to show their game at AMAZE, but obviously we won't do this without consent from RetroEpic. We hope they're as keen to have A Day in the Woods represent South Africa as we are to be represented by it.

From the selected games AMAZE still needs a couple things. They need a title of your company or name of you as an individual, a short description of the game (under 300 words) and of your selves (also around 300 words) and a promotional image.

Eventually AMAZE will need a build of the game that they can run on their PC's there. I don't think any of the selected games should have a problem running on PC.

Could you PM me the details, I'll send them on to Thorsten. ... Or post them here if you're happy to do that.

Congratulations! We believe it's a selection that makes South Africa proud. Thanks for making such awesome games. We hope we can send more games next year!
  • Rad! When does the final build and other materials need to be submitted by?
  • edited
    Is a trip to Germany still on the cards? If so, shouldn't we be sorting out Visas and passports? Has AMAZE approved the submissions or are we still waiting on them?
  • I think that any trips would be under everyone's own power, although I could easily be wrong. I know that in order to apply for the DTI funding that Nick spoke about a while back you'd have to be sending someone AS a local company on your own budget, they would help you with certain costs. The amounts they help with just happen to be enough for most of us to be completely helped.

You should always have your passport in order.
  • edited
    AMAZE still needs a couple things. They need a title of your company or name of you as an individual, a short description of the game (under 300 words) and of your selves (also around 300 words) and a promotional image for your game.

Please please please send me the details or post them here. Please.
  • A BIG thank everyone involved in driving this process, allowing us to exhibit our game at an event we wouldn't have been able to attend ourselves.

We're truly grateful for all the behind the scenes work.

Great work guys, Thank you.
    Thanked by 2AngryMoose hanli
  • Seconded - Evan has done great things in making this all happen. Thank you!
  • Thanks Evan :)

When do we need to supply builds?
  • 21st is the deadline.

Any sooner would be great though. I believe Shaz has sent out some emails. If any credit is deserved then she deserves a tiger's share of it.