[Prototype] Rope Swinging Ninjas

edited in Projects
You're ninjas equipped with rope and shurikens. Fight to the death.

Here's a windows build to test out :D
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz0rFQevMVuLQmo4OHV5RENwdm8
Just some notes about it:

Controllers are required

I haven't gotten any single player stuff going just yet, so with just one controller all you can do is mess around with your ninja in the lobby.

Still working on the UI so a few things might not be clear:
- Up/down on the d-pad changes the map
- Left/right on the d-pad changes your ninja's colour
- The left stick controls the movement of your ninja BUT you must be on a rope
- The other controls should be clear from the instructions in the lobby
Ninja.gif
640 x 360 - 3M
Ninjas_10-05.gif
640 x 360 - 8M

Comments

• Hey @DraughtVader

This is looking very cool so far! Have you tried exploring a design space where the players have limited numbers of shurikens and they have to pick them up again after they have been thrown? Could lead to some cool local multiplayer gameplay in the vein of Samurai Gunn and TowerFall.

Just my 2c :)

• This look pretty great so far!

The ninja rope was my favourite thing in games like Worms and Liero. The rope in your prototype looks like it moves a little off, possibly as a result of low gravity? I don't know how it plays though (and I'm certain it's very difficult to get a ninja rope feeling right).

I love the permanent blood stain effect as well, that's a really nice touch for recording the events of the battle. It seems like it might be nice that some of the blood from deaths in mid-air falls to the ground (instead of only leaving a mark when a ninja dies very close to the ground).
    Thanked by 1DraughtVader
  • Thanks for checking it out and throwing some advice my way @blacksheepZA & @EvanGreenwood :D
    Have you tried exploring a design space where the players have limited numbers of shurikens and they have to pick them up again after they have been thrown?
    I have actually made other prototypes with this mechanic and did find it created a whole new dynamic. I am just afraid, in this game, it might slow the pace down too much. Currently, I am experimenting with a stamina type system for throwing, but I interesting to see what your idea will bring!
    The rope in your prototype looks like it moves a little off
    Yeah, it's definitely not physically sound. Will work on it a bit more when I have more direction with the rest of the game
    love the permanent blood stain effect as well, that's a really nice touch for recording the events of the battle. It seems like it might be nice that some of the blood from deaths in mid-air falls to the ground (instead of only leaving a mark when a ninja dies very close to the ground).
    Great idea! Really love the environmental story telling. Also looking to adding a bit more character to each ninja, so that their 'tombstone' could be a bit more distinct
  • Uploaded a build :D Link in first post
    And here's a new gif!
    Ninjas_16-05.gif
    640 x 360 - 14M
    Thanked by 1critic
  • Mac build, please. <3