[WIP] Platformer (iOS)

edited in Projects

I'm working on a platformer for iOS, which will hopefully be released by the end of 2013.

It's made in Unity and 2D Toolkit.

Here's a video of the prototype, using placeholder graphics (select the HD setting for best quality):

Comments

• edited
    How long have you been using 2D Toolkit, or is this your own tool?
  • I've been using it since December. I bought it from the Unity Asset Store.

Here's the tool's website:
    http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/

Unity Asset Store link:
    http://u3d.as/content/unikron-software-ltd/2d-toolkit/1Wi

• edited
    Nice start to the game. Wall jumping, double jumping, climbing ladders, swimming etc. Seems like you'll have near endless possibilities for level design. I'm very curious to see what kinds of platforming problems this produces.

Obviously this is super early in the game's development, I don't want to seem like I'm demanding too much so early...

But I'm curious as to what the player's goal/role in the game is. Collecting things is only interesting as a means to an end. I'm wondering what you have in mind (if collecting things is a core gameplay element will those things unlock more content like in Mario 64?)

Also, what will the existential threats be (if any) (I see there are some spikes semi-implemented)?

And is the game going to remain kind of abstract or are you planning a strong theme?

I don't want to be too critical too early, but I feel like the movement of the avatar is kind of abstract while the depiction of the avatar seems to be of a cartoony human. This is probably unnecessary to say but I feel like the movement could have a bit more inertia and momentum to match the visual style. Maybe more fez-like? Unless you're trying to make something more League of Evil-like? (in which case it probably needs to be a bit faster)
  • Man, that is the cheesiest music I've heard in a while haha. Keen to see where you go with this game.
  • Thanks for the feedback :)

Different types of items will be available to collect (e.g. power-ups, health, keys, etc.)
    There will be different types of enemies. The usual suspects found in platformers (e.g. simple patrolling enemies walking left/right, some shoot projectiles, flying enemies, spawners, etc.).

The art will not remain abstract.
    Still need to decide on the visual style.

I suspect the player's movement will remain largely unchanged (as it is in the video), but it may change as I do more testing.
    Although, additional animation frames will be added in the final character graphics, and possibly a few animation-transitions.
    The animations will probably not change the character's movement, rather the other way around.

There will also be a speed setting to allow the player to change the game's speed.
    Some elements will not be scaled by the speed (e.g. some enemy reactions).
  • Here's another video of the platformer I'm working on. It shows the player attacking enemies.