[Portfolio] Jack Shiels's Game Development and Environment Art Portfolio [WARNING: Images!]

edited in Portfolios
I figure it's time I put some of my work out there for people to see :)

I've been somewhat involved in game development since around age 12. Me and my brother started making games in Chipmunk Basic and a small engine called Dimension3D. From there we graduated to Unity 1.5. It's still our favourite engine and we'll probably keep using it purely for reasons of convenience.

I personally have always been more of a graphics guy (Sam does the programming). It's a good combination and means we have had the privilege of releasing several full games over the past decade. When we were 15 and 16 we were lucky to win runner up in the Unity Awards for our platforming game, Choma (also featured on Touch Arcade):

Unfortunately we never finished or released it. Life got in the way as we had a family member pass away and it disrupted things for a little while. Right now we are "coming back" with Super Regency Deluxe - you can find the WIP thread here: http://makegamessa.com/discussion/3630/super-regency-deluxe-our-tribute-to-rts-wip#latest

Here's a bit of my own personal work (all in-game screenshots except for the throne). Hope you all like it!

Castle Interiors pack video:

Other stuff:

Some older stuff from previous games (back when I was a visual design n00b ;) )

Comments

• hi Guys,

we want an artist to assist as with graphics for our 3D...
  • I was fooling around today and made this:

Thanked by 2Aimzj Ross
  • Working downwards from hi resolution models is pretty essential these days if you want to create anything slightly realistic.

I got some inspiration from this tutorial:

The initial model. For this process, I followed the same first steps the tutorial covered - namely building a super low poly primitive version from cubes. Because he uses a different software suite to me, I had to kind of find my way from there on using Blender's sculpting tools. It came out fairly OK (but next time I'll be more careful how I use my displacement maps).

Ambient occlusion goes a long way in making the model appear weighty and realistic. Curvature maps also provide great masking for giving the edges a lighter colour. This helps add definition to the textures.

The model in a scene. After this, I applied a decimate to the model itself and produced an LOD version. It looks a tiny bit worse, but retains the definition of the hi res version.