[EVENT] Durban Meetup (14th May 2016)

edited in Events
It is time to do our second meetup here in Durban. The first one was a success and I know @roguecode is a little busy at the moment, so I decided to quickly create this event on his behalf.

Hailing: @garethf @roquecode @Krummelz @pypmannetjies @ShadowBlade @IrkunJay @hyltonwarburton @sumisukyo @2squared @BlackEagle @Melvir

Date: 14th May 2016

Venue: 83b St. Thomas Road, Musgrave, Durban

Let us know if you are in and what you are bringing to the meet. @garethf and I met a guy at ICON this weekend that is keen to become part of the community and @garethf has to bring System Crash. 8-}

Comments

• I would really love to attend, but I won't be able to make the 7th unfortunately.
  • @Krummelz: What day can you make ... we are pretty flexible at the moment.
  • @Fenn is the guy that @garethf and I met at ICON ... so he is in. 8-}
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • @quintond Sorry, I should have mentioned. I can make it before the 5th or after the 8th, of May.
  • Hi All.
    Times are flexible my side.
    If Venue is a problem, let me know.
  • edited
    @Krummels: Okay ... so lets propose Saturday 14th May 2016.

Edit: Cos I was stupid with the date.
  • From the 1st, Venue is fine. We've got plenty of space, and the plan is to have a projector and stuff for demoing games (because this will be doubling up as a weekend home-cinema for me :P).

The 7th is the first Saturday after the 1st when we move in. It also gives us enough time to finish some stuff on our game.

I'm easy. We can also do Sunday the 8th if more people can make it.
    Thanked by 1quintond
  • I Look forward to the date !
  • quintond said:
    @Krummels: Okay ... so lets propose Saturday 16th May 2016.
    I am interested, The last one was fun :)

But, My calender say's that the 16 of May is a Monday; Do you mean this month?
  • 16 May (as in 10 days away) is a bit soon for us to have the changes to our game that we're busy doing.
  • edited
    @ryan20fun: I am an idiot, forgot to check the calendar for May ... you are quite correct, I have now changed the proposed date to the 14th May (which is a Saturday).

Sorry for the confusion everyone ... this is why @roguecode runs these things and not me.
  • edited
    Cool, so lets do show of hands then for:

[2] - 7th May (Saturday)
    [4] - 14th May (Saturday)
    [1] - Either

My vote is either the 14th.
  • edited
    @roguecode I vote 14th May.
  • Sweet, I'm keen. I'll definitely be bringing System Crash to show! And I want that game of the Colony 2174 I was promised! ;)

14th May sounds good to me. :)
    Thanked by 1quintond
  • I vote for the 7th.
  • C-C-C-Combo Breaker

Either or for me too.
    I am highly motivated to meet you guys and gals so i will make time for this.

so, if i am not mistaken, we are currently at:

[4] - 7th May (Saturday)
    [6] - 14th May (Saturday)
    [2] - Either / or
  • @Fenn, I'd prefer we just have one list to not confuse things :P
    And no, the numbers in mine are up to date.
    Thanked by 1Fenn
  • Any chance we could get this as a sticky (@dislekcia you're in charge or that, right?)
  • roguecode said:
    Any chance we could get this as a sticky (@dislekcia you're in charge or that, right?)
    Not more than a month before the event, no ;)
  • Ah, right, sorry. I'll ping you when we've decided on date and are within a month. Thanks!
  • roguecode said:
    Ah, right, sorry. I'll ping you when we've decided on date and are within a month. Thanks!
    1-2 weeks is the preferred sticky period. This is taken from the JHB and CT meetups that alternate with a 2-week period. Although stickies are a very temporary (that's obviously lasted for years) band-aid over not having an events system on the non-existent front page ;)

Still, your best bet is building a facebook event for the meetup and pushing that. I'm sure whoever's in charge of the MGSA FB page will boost it too.
  • Do the other cities have their own "MGSA JHB Meetup" FB pages? Or do they create an event on their personal account?
  • roguecode said:
    Do the other cities have their own "MGSA JHB Meetup" FB pages? Or do they create an event on their personal account?
    I have no idea. I don't touch the FB side of things, sorry.
  • JHB and CT FB events are organized through the MGSA FB page. Think they'd need a venue to post with the event though ;) though you can always just post an event and it can be reshared like Glitch Face's was.
  • We have a venue ... @roguecode has a new shiny office.
  • To clarify: an address for a venue. Putting on a FB event "roguecode's new office" isn't going to help people who find the event on Facebook get there.

This will, probably, lead to multiple requests of people asking where the meet is since it wasn't in the information when they looked at it ;)
  • Cool. I think in future we can set up stuff formerly - but for now I think I like the idea of doing it in-formerly. So let's see if our current pack of 10 (?) people can consistently come every second month.

p.s. Changed my vote to the 14th. Tally is here http://makegamessa.com/discussion/comment/41197/#Comment_41197
  • garethf said:
    ...And I want that game of the Colony 2174 I was promised! ;)...
    I will bring all the copies with, so we can play up to 10 players if there is time or split off in to smaller groups and play multiple 4 player games ... all dependent on time.

However you and I will definitely play and I am sure @roguecode is keen to try out the new changes as he was one of the initial guinea pigs ... *cough* ... testers of the first version. 8-}
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • edited
    Ok, I think we need to settle on the 14th given that everyone that is coming has voted.

Really looking forward to it. See you guys in a month!

I think we should start a bit earlier than last time. Last time it was 12 (?) and we didn't really have enough time to get to everything.
    So maybe 10ish?
    Thanked by 3quintond garethf Fenn
  • Sounds good, looking forward to it! :)
  • Could the OP be updated with the venue's address ?
  • ryan20fun said:
    Could the OP be updated with the venue's address ?
    I would if I knew the address ... @roguecode
  • I'd prefer to PM the address to people rather than have it here. I'll do that closer to the time once we have everyone who is coming.
  • roguecode said:
    I'd prefer to PM the address to people rather than have it here. I'll do that closer to the time once we have everyone who is coming.
    You realise this makes it difficult for people who don't know if they'll be able to get somewhere to say they're coming, right? If this is trying to be an MGSA meetup, it needs to be open to everyone that's interested, after all.
  • Right, ok.

83b St. Thomas Road,
    Musgrave,
    Durban
    Thanked by 1dislekcia
  • roguecode said:
    Right, ok.

83b St. Thomas Road,
    Musgrave,
    Durban
    You could just give the general location of your new office(Ex: near the Pick n Pay in Umhlanga) and then PM the two days before the event.
  • Well, not now that you quoted it ;)
  • Heyo! Just flying in to say it's unlikely I'll be making it, so put me down as a negative :\
  • roguecode said:
    Well, not now that you quoted it ;)
    Really?
    Maybe I should try randomly guessing things more often :)
  • 12 days and counting!

So let's decide on time. 10am good for everyone?
  • Thanks for the invite :D 10am is perfect
  • 10am sounds great!
  • 10am is ok with me, assuming I wake up in time. :D

How long does it run? And what's the general agenda?
  • @garethf Last time was about 3 or 4 hours, but people sort of left at different times.

Since this is the second one there isn't a real agenda. Last time we just took turns discussing each game.
    For this I think it would be good for each person wanting to show their game to take 1 or 2 minutes to explain it right at the beginning, and then we sequentially go through each one.

It might be a nice idea to try have some form of talk too. It could be very casual, and simply with the aim of contributing to some sort of structure that we build up over time.
    Anyone have anything interesting they'd like to tell people about?
    Thanked by 1garethf
  • I could chat to people about how things are going with System Crash, if anyone's interested.
  • Yeah, I'd be keen for that!
    Thanked by 1garethf