Michiel Myburgh (Showreel)

Hi there

My name is Michiel Myburgh and I am a 3D artist.
Looking for opportunity to get into 3D or Game Industry. My portfolio is available at if anyone is interested.

Comments

• Not sure if you are posting this for some feedback,but here are some thoughts from someone who looks at reels from time to time. The feeling that I get from this reel is that it is from a student, looking for an internship position.

The tank model is pretty cool, but you do yourself a major disservice by including renders with obvious render artifacts (00:10) that would make me question for attention to detail. If you are after a game job, why not make a low res textured version and bake the details down, so we can see how you model when drawcalls and polycount is paramount? Have a look at http://www.retroepic.com/apache-helicopter-vehicles-in-afghanistan-11/ for some excellent examples

The second turn around tells me nothing new about the tank model, and has some major aliasing issues, too.

The render with the caustics / glass material should really be removed, it has nothing to do with modelling and doesn't demonstrate anything that can't be learnt by following a 45 minute rendering tutorial. A lot of reviewers of reels will just stop watching at this point.

The model that comes after "softimage" (also you should remove this text, it break the flow and doesn't add any valuable information) is actually also pretty cool, but you do a major disservice with its presentation, neither renders tell me much about the form TBH. If you are going to do metallic / reflective renders, don't make everything 100% reflective.

The last model is rendered pretty well, but it is not strong enough to land you a position as a character modeler, I'd say stick to the hard surface stuff, or you will need to work A LOT to get your character modelling up to scratch.

Thanked by 2Elyaradine dammit
  • Thank you for the advise. I'll take all the help I can get :)