2015 - My year in game screenshots

edited in Portfolios
(update: Seems like Dropbox is being a bit hit-and-miss today, and only loading occasionally. I don't know if it's just our crappy internet. Sorry if the screenshots don't show up.)

These are just from games (or game-like things) I was involved with. I worked on more stuff than this, but I'm only posting the ones that I worked on for at least 8 hours. Some is professional work, but most of it was personal/jam games. (And there's some professional work I can't show because of NDAs.)

I spent a lot more time on art studies and illustrations, some of which are in my art thread, but most of which are in a Facebook album because non-game friends of mine seem to appreciate seeing them too.

I just captured them as they were. Some of the games are broken in the screenshots. Oh well. :P

And technically 2016 but only by a week... :P

Comments

• What game is that last screenshot from (with the star wars walker in) and where do i get to play it?
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    @Elyaradine
    Please let me know how you managed to do this.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • He harnessed ALL the pixels :P
    Thanked by 1konman
  • @Zaphire: I think that for the most part, it was just my spending a lot of time on it. It was about 3 months full time work, which was spent on exploring art direction (that took the longest), making the art assets, and programming gameplay (much of which was ported over from the old 2D map to a 3D sphere).

Shader-wise, I wrote a custom shader that fakes a coloured directional light, fresnel, and coloured shadows. The water uses scrolling textures as a lookup for where a clamped specular is to give the feel of animated sparkling water. The trees use vertex colours to mask a jitter that has strength based on how close it is to the helicopter. The waves on the shore were a spritesheet. There was a cloud layer that looked quite rad imo, but it masked some of the gameplay and I ended up hiding it in the end.

Otherwise, everything else is just modelling a bunch of boxes and stuff, doing pixel art textures, nothing "special" there aside from being an artist. :D
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • Thanks for the response. Is the textures drawn manually onto the planet and did you use a sphere in unity or a custom model for the planet?
  • edited
    Everything uses custom meshes, UVs and textures I made outside of Unity.
  • So much awesome!
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Everything uses custom meshes, UVs and textures I made outside of Unity.
    Thanks! Makes more sense to me how I can achieve similar results because doing it randomly in Unity is quite a mission with spheres.