Wwise jam?

In the past we have tried fiddling with Fmod and tried making use of Unity's native audio mixer but I am very keen to try out Wwise. Is anyone keen to host such a jam?
Fmod has been a bit troublesome regarding implementation but it is super easy to use (on the audio side at least) Could also give that another try :P
Thanked by 3Sash pieter MCA

Comments

• edited
    YES!!! Well, I'm not a sound guy but I want to work on wwise integration in Unity. So, this is a good opportunity to do that. During the last Ludum Dare we ( @DraughtVader and I) worked with @Sash (sound man). He introduced us to Wwise. We had a lot of trouble working with source control and wwise integration. I want to work out the problem and solve it for future jams and collabos. Wwise was great! Here's the game we did it for.
    Thanked by 2Sash Mexicanopiumdog
  • This would be awesome! I personally prefer Wwise over fmod... I have used both. Wwise for me just allows so much more. I think a Wwise jam would be super.

The Problems we @SUGBOERIE and @DraughtVader had I think aren't insurmountable, I suspect it had to do mainly with the fact that development was done with both PC and MAC simultaneously. I did the NAG Jam with @bigbadwofl and we had no issues running only on Windows.

Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • This guy has 3 pretty good tutorial videos on Wise-Unity integration

• edited
    @MCA ah, small world. I studied with that guy...

He is first and foremost a programmer. A lot of the things he shows in his videos have much easier methods. He just programs his way through everything. No issues in that if you are a programmer then go for it. But most of what he is doing can be done in the authoring application with a couple of clicks and then called with one line of code.

Hmm I did see a good integration video where it was done properly. I'll update when I find it again.

EDIT: I think it was this channel...
    Thanked by 2MCA Mexicanopiumdog
  • I would dig to do something like this to brush up on my WWise skills! Let's do it!
  • I'm in for a Wwise jam. Love it. Found FMOD much more difficult to get into, largely due to availability of tutorials etc.
  • Free Lives could host a one day jam (an 8 hour jam) on the 1st (the Sunday the day after Halloween), if that suits enough people?

Halloween makes the Saturday a problem, and I'm not sure if the day after Halloween is ideal.
  • I won't be able to do the Halloween weekend :-(

I'd like to suggest maybe combining the up-coming Procedural Jam with the Wwise jam?
  • I'm keen to join the jam on the 1st! A Proc jam cross over could be fun too. WWise looks like it could be quite useful :)
  • @Blackshipsfillthesky That would be great! I am totally down for the 1st!
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    @Mexicanopiumdog Cool!

What I'm thinking is this. Wwise jam on Sunday the 1st of November. We all arrive at 11 and setup. Start jamming at 12, and 8 hours later we put our keyboards down and present what we've made or learnt (even if we failed to produce anything).

Kind of like the Berlin Minijams. http://www.berlinminijam.de/

Perhaps we could come up with some constraints? These would be optional, the only requirement would be that you present at the end.

Maybe something spooky for a constraint? Given the date and also how important audio is in achieving atmosphere.

If people bring along some cash Free Lives can organize some catering, and we all eat pizzas while playing each others' creations. How about R100?

If you don't already know the address for the venue PM me.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Sounds good to me! :) R100 for the entire day I presume?
  • Yeah, R100 for those who want lunch and pizza organized (free for those that bring their own)..
  • @blackshipsfillthesky can I join too? I'm working Sunday morning so I will only be able to make it 12ish or 12.30 - I may not be able to commit to the full 8 hrs because I need a little rest before Monday morning, but could I come along anyway? I do music and sound and @mexicanopiumdog told me about the jam :)
    Also I will not be needing any pizza ty :)
  • Keen! Gonna see how much time I can do, hopefully all of it.
  • @gvrmai001 All are welcome so long as they tell us beforehand (we need to plan stuff, right now there should be plenty of space, but if there isn't in the future we need to be able to turn people away).
  • @gvrmai001 ok well I am notifying you :) I'll be there on Sunday ktnx :)
  • I think it's a good idea to go forward with a date even if it's not ideal for everybody.

I'll be there, but since I'm neither sound person nor programming person I expect to play more of a support role by supplying quick arts so others can focus more on the subject at hand.
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • Of course it'd be rad to have plenty of programmers for audio people to team up with (should they want). I can guarantee myself, Richard from Free Lives said he'd like to join, @Squidcor I believe is interested.
  • Yarp, I'll be there!
  • edited
    I was super excited for the Fmod Jam but very was disappointed when I tried to build my project only to find that Fmod does not support web player and neither does Wwise. This is pretty gnarly constraint that I'm not sure if I am okay with.

A potential alternative is Fabric which I am more interested in pursuing is Fabric. I doubt it's comparable to wwise or fmod but at it is least fully cross platform

What are your thoughts? Are you okay with sacrificing web support?

*Sidenote*
    I'm dead keen on experimenting with 3Dception for binaural audio
    https://twobigears.com/
  • I'll also be there as a programmer/sound guy :)

@Merrik We have dealt with fabric a little. It's not too bad, but the support/updates aren't great. Maybe just keep that in mind.
  • edited
    Binaural audio... I'm totally in.

From my perspective, being locked into not being able to do a webplayer is a fairly big disadvantage for openly developed games. There are projects where a webplayer isn't going to be desirable anyway (like projects destined for VR), but most serious games I develop are going to benefit from a webplayer demo (like Broforce did, and like Super Wolfenstein HD did).

I want the workflow of Wwise and FMOD, and I'm keen to use them in a personal capacity, but they're not going to be the audio tools of choice for every Free Lives game (because our major projects will probably have webplayer demos, and currently Wwise and FMOD don't work in webplayers).
  • Man I wish there was a jhb jam! ;(
    Thanked by 2Sash Mexicanopiumdog
  • Agreed.... is there anyway we could host a jhb wwise jam? I feel like I have a lot of knowledge to share on the subject :) and it will be really fun.
  • Man, I'd love to do this but won't be able to make it. Note about FMOD and Wwise and not being available in the web gl (web player is not being made obsolete):

Even if you aren't using fmod/wwise in the game, having a working knowledge of it is still great - because it really helps your sound guys to have a consistent platform to work against. You can then use what they've created and recreate that through programming or whatever tools you have at your disposal like the unity mixer. ;)
  • edited
    Hope no one minds if I join.
  • edited
    Thanks to the Freelives crew for hosting. I really enjoyed the jam. It is always so humbling to see such awesome games being created in such a short period of time.

Edit: atrocious mobile spelling
  • Thanks for everyone who came! We made some awesome games together, a hope that you all take them at least a bit further (and post them on these forums).

Has anyone overcome the compile time problem that Wwise causes? (the problem that after including Wwise in a Unity project compile times increase massively, which is far from ideal generally and pretty awful in a jam setting).
  • Sup! Thanks for having me (and Andrew for a few hours). Was fun to do some from scratch sound design and while the battle with wwise was real for me (I've since figured out my issues) I can see how it'd be very helpful in allowing audio peeps to do their own thing and save a lot of time in the dev process.

Keen to check out fmod but I'm also keen on another wwise jam!

Thanks everyone for their patience and feedback.

P.S. Keen on a visuals/audio jam!
    Thanked by 1NickCuthbert
  • edited
    Hello to all!

Was this even held in CT? Anything similar planned for JHB?

@Greg, I've used fmod in conjunction with Unity but to be honest found it very fiddly. That and the fact that in one of my projects could not figure out why the audio engine would crash after a few minutes of usage despite keeping track of what was being played (one-shots/loops) as well as terminating the engine correctly on shutdowns.

I've not used wwise yet but looking at their site they offer an indie type version for free that I could use in Unity as a test. Haven't determined if they offer a Mac build like fmod though.

EDIT: They do support mac, cool! https://www.audiokinetic.com/downloads/#macosx