8 Bit Swing House - Music made for an unfinished jam game

I worked on a track last week for Ben and co's Rage game jam project. unfortunately the game did not come to light but I thought I'd drop the music here, since I was reasonably happy with how it came out :D. Feedback always appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/jumpshipmusic/antinium

Comments

• Something weird going on with the right channel around 0:50? Cool track though, nice work :-)
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour
  • Yip clicks and pops in the right channel.... but otherwise loved the vibe... I remember playing it on repeat and watching the walking sprite animation gif we had for the game... it was amusing :D
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour
  • It's a vinyl distortion effect I used on Ableton that I added to to snare. It unexpected but it's kinda grown one me :P
  • Ah ok so it was intentional? I listened to it again using good headphones. It still hits me as tech errors in the mix... not as an effect... I was wondering maybe if you tried softening it up a bit, it might sit better in the mix... (Reverb, Low pass) just an idea anyway. Otherwise still think its awesome :)
  • Haha yeah i'm also wondering if I shouldn't just take the vinyl crackle out, cos the effect is getting across :D

It's ableton's vinyl distortion effect on the snare that i increase in volume so I'm not sure reverb would help. Imma check it out and see what I can do !

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Thanked by 1Sash
  • edited
    I dont particularly use ableton but I am sure its all the same... What I was suggesting is putting the distortion on its own AUX/Send track and sending the snare to the track. instead of as an insert (Assuming that you have inserted). then you can line up an EQ and reverb that will only effect (in this case "soften/smooth") the distortion. If that makes sense.
  • Ableton is a little bit different to Cubase. You get audio, midi and return tracks. No send's and effects. You put effects and the like in the audio/midi track. Maybe I can use a return track to do that. Or maybe use automation to bring the level down of the distortion... thanks for that pointer though man! It'll def work!
  • This is all in arrangement view. I don't use the clip view side

• I just watched this... to understand how the track configurations work in ableton....

Using the return track will work a treat :)
    Thanked by 1Tim_Harbour
  • I edited it to remove the vinyl distortion...might just be better that way :P

https://soundcloud.com/jumpshipmusic/antinium
    Thanked by 2Sash MCA
  • Thanks Sash. I have used Return tracks before but I haven't recently. Been fiddling a lot with automation. I think in this case it's just better without the crackling but in future it is something I will consider for a similar application :D ! Thanks!
    Thanked by 1Sash