Google Maps 45° view looks like an awesome SimCity

edited in General
I was browsing through Los Angeles in Google Maps and the view switched to 45 degrees when you're zoomed in enough. I was struck with the beauty of viewing the city like this. It looked like a screenshot from a really really awesome city building game.

I'd play this. Look at that photorealistic detail!

Seriously, it is possible to get graphics like this, and if they ever manage to make a modern SimCity sequel that doesnt suck, this would look *awesome* in a realistic style like this!

Untitled-1.jpg
1344 x 945 - 812K

Comments

• I think a big big question is how far do you want to be able to zoom into your sim city?
    Everything still looks pretty from that distance, however a whole new range of complexities pop up when you want that level of detail from a closer view.
  • Bernard said:
    I think a big big question is how far do you want to be able to zoom into your sim city?
    Everything still looks pretty from that distance, however a whole new range of complexities pop up when you want that level of detail from a closer view.
    I'm a reasonable man, I'd actually say if you couldnt zoom in any further than that screenshot I'd be satisfied. In the old days of SimCity 2000 you had one zoom level and you LIKED IT! (Could you zoom out even?)
  • edited
    the zoom is quite good actually. you can distinguish cars and even people, although tiny.

this is over capetown cbd:

Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 1.14.20 PM.png
    1225 x 776 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2015-03-04 at 1.13.55 PM.png
    1214 x 778 - 2M
  • edited
    Sweet! I didnt know they had 45 degree imagery of Cape Town! Looks fantastic. I always had a soft spot for isometric projection though :P
  • Ah man, that LA view reminds me of the old Sega Megadrive helicopter game Urban Strike, which had the same isometric view and city levels where you mostly fly over all the buildings, but the high-rises would be obstacles.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I like how the amalgamation of different perspective photos makes each building look wackily off-kilter like in a cartoon or something.
  • Nitrogen said:

I'm a reasonable man, I'd actually say if you couldnt zoom in any further than that screenshot I'd be satisfied. In the old days of SimCity 2000 you had one zoom level and you LIKED IT! (Could you zoom out even?)
    I remember that! I got SimCity 2000 one summer instead of age of empires 2? and thats how I got into playing Sim City.
    In-fact I still have the manual book that explains to users the most basic of things like how to click on a button, because those were, well those days.

Yes you are definitely correct, photo realism definitely has an entire new appeal here.
    Now the only question is, will this conversation lead to one about the last sim cities?
    If so, my favorites are sim city 4's rush hour because you could interact and explore your own city and the council of sim city 3000 which really made you feel like you were dealing with a living city and finally the news report in sim city 2000 which felt more real and important by having this newspaper report popping up. I wont talk about sim city '5' because it left me feeling detached from my city as though nothing really mattered or was even alive at all.
  • This looks really good http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/
    And modding support!
  • I was also going to say, checkout Cities: Skylines!
  • Fengol said:
    I was also going to say, checkout Cities: Skylines!
    Guess what I've been playing for the last 4 hours....