[GGJ] Beast Brawl

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
Here is our Global Game Jam entry (with image files for cards):
http://globalgamejam.org/2015/games/beast-brawler

Beast Brawl is an augmented reality card game where players play cards to give their beasts weapons and actions. Kind of like pokemon battles, only more metal.

Check out the video! http://www.dropshots.com/video.php?u=http://media802.dropshots.com/photos/1247298/20150125/104450.mp4

To start the game, each player chooses their character and takes the associated deck. Shuffle the deck and draw three cards each. Each card has an image, description of impact and the energy cost for the card. You cannot play a card if you do not have enough energy to play it. Decide which player will play first and place both creature cards onto the play mat. Player 1 selects one card from his or her hand and plays the card face up on the player mat card slot. The computer will calculate damage and reduce energy. It will then be Player 2's turn to play a card. The game continues until one beast has been reduced to zero health. Note: If a card indicates that you gain or lose defence percentage - this applies for the attack in the very next play of the opposing player.

Note: to use AR, ensure you have a decent webcam connected to the system that can see the cards.

Edit: The web build is not working right now so scroll down a little further in the thread for the android build ;)
Web build:
http://ggj.s3.amazonaws.com/games/2015/01/25/2142/WebBuild.zip

We took part at the Cape Town jam site and won Best Art!

People involved:
Jacques Botha (aka @squidgyXD) - Augmented Reality coder, Project Manager, 3D modelling, DJ, http://squidgyxd.blogspot.com
Ben Geldenhuys (aka @benny_behemoth)- 2D Art, Creative Metal Direction
Richard Ramsbottom (aka @iceblademush) - 3D modelling & rigging
Megan Hughes (aka @dammit) - Card game design
Adam Linder (aka @MCA) - Music
dsc_04811.jpg
1577 x 1295 - 587K
Thanked by 1creative630

Comments

• edited
    My first reaction:
    "Wow dit is awesome!"

So how did you do this, technically?
  • Do you know if Richard is formally from Durbs?
  • @vintar , No that's actually a distant cousin of mine with the exact same name believe it or not! Not me! :) Do you know him?
  • On 2nd watch, how did you get that goblin foot there below the cards? haha just kidding
  • @vintar , No that's actually a distant cousin of mine with the exact same name believe it or not! Not me! :) Do you know him?
    Knew him through an acquaintance maybe 20 years ago :)
  • edited
    Sup all, apologies...web build...eish...she's broken =\

Here is a working android version (just point it at the card images on your screen and watch the magic happen)
    Android APK

What i did, technically, was use a Frankenstein'd Vuforia plugin to do the image recognition etc (I played around with this before they had an official Unity plugin....so my version is kinda dodge at best). We have a DB of all the cards that are too be tracked/recognized and the models that go with them.

All "Game" logic happens on the board (ie damage & energy calculations) where as the cards merely carry info such as damage, energy cost, etc on them self giving this info too the board if placed (raycast hit -> send message)
  • Boysano said:
    On 2nd watch, how did you get that goblin foot there below the cards? haha just kidding
    Hahaha, @SquigyXD your foot is now famous.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • This came out really well, great stuff guys!
  • Just a quick example of how the game would look if played

• Holy cow :D

You guys made Eye of Judgement in a weekend! :D Congrats, looks awesome! :D
    Thanked by 2dammit SquigyXD
  • After seeing this at Wednesday's meet, I really hope you guys take this further - it (not quite) literally blew my mind! And if you do I'd like a shot at the sound effects and improve on the music I did for the jam!
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • SquigyXD said:
    Just a quick example of how the game would look if played

Just looking at these pictures (and thinking I should have realised this sooner) is that the creatures should line up with each other...they should be centre lined to look at each other and then you have space for a card on each side (thinking of different possibilities in combinations etc).
  • The way I pictured it working was that you have a game board that you use for reading where to place things, and that there are card "slots". When a card is placed in a slot, the relevant character/creature is spawned on the battlefield, and if you play any equipment or whatever, the character is equipped with it. Kind of like how Yu-gi-oh works, as far as I know.

The cool thing about this is that if there's animation and a battle going on, you can have the characters interacting with one another there, rather than having to do things relative to the cards themselves with the result that certain things, like melee combat, become hard/impossible to do.
    Thanked by 1Boysano
  • @Elyaradine - the characters spawn on top of the cards currently - so what you see is the battlefield as it currently stands. Though, the Yu-gi-oh layout is definitely worth considering
  • @Elyaradine, I really like that idea! Definitely something worth looking into.
  • Looking at the rendered images...I do not like the objects (like chainsaw)... the humanoids (animals) and spell effects looks great though. Seems weird to me to see a floating chainsaw (where is the context? )

Still I think this is concept is so great you can really internationally revolutionize peoples view of card / board games...

Will also really suit spectator competitive play modes so well. Fun for the crowd also!

Consider remaking a working game maybe?