[7DFPS & ProcJam] Canyon Runner

Hey guys,
So as you can probably tell from the title I went for the double jam approach this week, despite being super busy otherwise already. This is also my first (mostly) foray into Unity, so I might be asking for some advice on things on that front.
But behold my game: BaconCanyon-Runner

With a playable build here: http://ramperkash.itch.io/canyon-runner
Windows stand-alone: https://app.box.com/s/mtsw0qw5q6bl4gs0wbvb
Linux stand-alone: https://app.box.com/s/bpzmzcuc8orqb5tfrvlc

At the moment it's only a playground, but you can try out the movement (only slightly tweaked default unity First Person Controller), and check out the level generation.

Possible goals that I'm exploring includes: endless runner with a time limit or barrier catching up to you, where you get a score based on time survived or pickups (possible modifiers for how high up you stay). Another one is having an enemy chase you through the level, that you have to avoid to stay alive (incentive to stay low, weaving between pillars to avoid getting shot). Last one I'm mentioning for now is having an enemy that you have to chase through the level.

Let me know what you think of any aspect of it, even if you just want to say that the pillars look like bacon/cows. Everything is made by me except for the engine obviously (Unity) and the character controller (Unity Character Controller package).
Thanked by 1Merrik

Comments

• I like the idea of a barrier catching up to you. Maybe like a giant wave? Or a wave of something like zombies? Or saloon girls wanting revenge?

Or you could maybe use music like this guy did.

Your game looks awesome tho.
  • Pillars look like bacon :P

What could be quite cool is the option to either run around the pillar, climb it, even knock one over to use to ramp up?
    Maybe some slipstreams of air current?
    I like the idea of being chased through the pillars too.
    I guess also it could be a bit too dense at the moment? Looks like it could be frustrating to actually get through the pillars?

You could also look at something like jetpac joyride where you get 3 missions to do every run? So for example Run 200 m, Gain 20 m in height and survive x seconds? This could be random?
  • I like this! If you can make it more parkour-esque the feeling could be very cool :) The trick is to get momentum and keep it, that'd feel amazing :)
  • edited
    @mikethetike I just had an idea for using music (downloading FL studio demo as we speak), and damn that paintbrush-like streak is awesome!

@iceblademush I was told to keep those simple colours by someone, and now it will forever be Bacon Runner... Playing with the joke side of it is oh so tempting, but I think I'll try to stick with the canyon theme, and improve the textures if I can't think of anything else to add to the game.

@Tuism Thanks! I really want to have the feeling of maintaining momentum. The music idea I have would hopefully help make having momentum feel awesome kind of like Tom Francis' Floating Point.
    To add more parkour-esque moves I need to get myself more acquainted with the collision detection and movement systems of Unity, either by changing or replacing the default character controller.
    Any tips here would be really welcome!

Also the web build is really jittery for me, anything obvious I could be missing? Like quality settings while building or something.
  • edited
    I am not sure what causes the jittery-ness. My web build is not as jittery, but I haven't set up shadows yet.
  • Looks good! Maybe jump-boost power ups? You're a sausage being chased through bacon canyon by fried eggs and hash browns in search of your lost Chipolata?
  • I've added (really bad) music clips and made them change based on your speed/altitude. I'd love to see what I can do with good music.
    I've also updated the OP with native builds, because I have no idea what is causing the mouse lag in the web player.

I really wanted to add a lot more, but time is hectic and I need to relax a bit this weekend.
    Thanks a lot for checking out the game :)
  • This is rad. One of my favorite thing in fps's is to try hack the world colliders to get to places I shouldn't be able to. This looks like it has the potential to scratch that itch :)