[7DFPS] Opera Sentai

edited in Online Competitions & Jams
TL;DR - here is a video and further is a cool picture. Do you like it? :)

Hello guys! Following on what we showed at the joburg meetup, here is a video peek at Opera Sentai - our 7DFPS project! :D

We set out to answer one question: Can we make a better mobile FPS? Because simply put, I have been feeling that every single mobile FPS, even the "best ones" fails at the controls, because aiming and shooting with that silly on-screen button at the same time is nearly impossible, and while novel, accelerometer aiming just isn't quite there yet.

So we set out to find something to improve the mobile FPS experience and we think we found something interesting: that something was VOICE.

But just slotting a voice controlled gun into a typical shooter didn't sit well with me, so the Opera Sentai concept was born! Sentai is japanese for the dudes like the Power Rangers :) A "Battle Team"

http://www.instagram.com/p/vVReS1N1f8

http://www.instagram.com/p/vWm4Sft1Wt

Stuff we want to include:
> Defeat evil minions with the power of voice!
> Different types of attacks from lozenge power ups!
> Waves of varieties of enemies!
> Voice as a resource to be managed and spent!
> Pitch controlling the power of your attack! (Right now it's volume, we are looking for how to change that)
> Bluetooth or other multiplayer! (Can't be a Sentai by yourself!)
> Diversity! (Fat Opera Man and Opera Woman are not ye typical heroes and I love that it's not a forced but a wonderful fit)
> A fitting soundtrack which affects your attacks (if you match pitch you get bonuses... Or some such)

There are many obstacles and we have probably over scoped as usual, especially considering it's our first time in Blender and mobile FPS controls (using Neon Shadow a lot as reference to best control feel) and and and... But we'll go as far as we can without killing ourselves :p

What do you think?
1. Would this annoy the crap out of you?
2. Have you seen anything similar before?
3. Multiple devices in one room is ironically the hardest part of this - because sound carries. Would you like to play this multiplayer remotely?

Some technical questions for those who might be able to help us, that would be awesome:
1. Do you know of any ready-made mobile FPS look scripts? The one we found and is using is crap and it's hard to wrangle and eating a lot of time.
2. Any ideas on Bluetooth or other online networking? Where to look?
3. Any idea how one might negate sounds from further than the immediate area? Or is it a matter of smart and dynamic threshold adjustment that may or may not work?
4. How do you do pitch/tone/whatever it's called detection? Is it the same as frequency?

Ok great thanks for your time!!!

Comments

• edited
    1. None that come to mind, although it shouldn't be too hard to make your own? What kind of problems are you guys having?
    2. I've successfully managed to get networking working in Sassy Shooters using photon. If you guys want I can walk you through it :)
    3. You could just disable the audio source and enable it on a trigger enter when the player gets close enough?
    4. It doesn't appear to have a trivial solution. From what I can tell you first have to get the spectrum data and then apply wizardry.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • (It's actually pretty interesting. I'll try give it a shot this weekend)
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • For Ratter I am using:

1. Control freak for the mobile FPS controller:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11562

2. Photon for the networking.

Pitch is frequency, if you mean high versus low. Tone as in angry, happy or sad? That may be a bit more complex.
    Thanked by 2Stray_Train Tuism
  • Yup, pitch and frequency are basically the same thing. You'd need a frequency spectrum analyser I suppose to detect the pitch of the person's voice, and then assign specific bandwidths to different attack types. Or possibly use a vocal tuner (like AutoTune) to detect the pitch and assign a note - then you assign note ranges to attack types. The frequency range of the human voice is from ±70Hz to ±8000Hz, but those are the extremes usually only achieved by professional singers/babies on airplanes - it's unlikely that the mic of any mobile device has this kind of frequency response, so tailor the bandwidth of different attacks accordingly.
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Nah we just want to detect pitch like, say, singstar, so your attack strength is adjusted by pitch rather than volume. No I'm not trying to detect sad or happy ^^

Oh and this is un Unity... Looking for existing codebase for C# if anyone knows...
  • edited
    A little update, me making assets in the hopes of getting multiplayer going... But I'm not holding too much thumbs for that. But it's pretty :P

http://www.instagram.com/p/vWm4Sft1Wt

I do want to have a quick chat about the characters, what do you guys think, in terms of being representational and non-bog-standard? I get that the pink and the skirt is conformist and stereotypical, but I just don't "feel it" with other colour choices. Of course the heart motif too.

The references to power rangers and opera singers, I feel, should still be maintained, as that's the main concept after all.

Well, I don't know exactly. What do you guys think? Thinking too much? Or not enough?
  • edited
    Hey guys :) Opera Sentai is up! :D

We managed so much but we still fell short of what we wanted to make, overscoping is still a thing XD

Play it here: http://itch.io/jam/7dfps/rate/13902

It works with a microphone and works best with headphones, though not necessarily.

More later, for now, sleep! :)
  • @tuism : a bit late, but this might help you to determine the pitch:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/157940/getoutputdata-and-getspectrumdata-they-represent-t.html

Love the game btw :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism