Our UDK character content pipeline for Rooks Keep.

Greetings all!

This is a blog post I created a while back which goes over the character content pipeline for "Rooks Keep". It's a UDK based project, so it goes over what needs to be done within UnrealEd. A few things have changed since, such as more animations, FX, sounds, well everything, but it's basically the same pipeline. Also, I don't go into 'how to create the content', it's about the content requirements and getting them game-ready.

http://www.runestorm.com/blog/2012/02/04/rooks-keep-character-content-elements/

I hope it's at least a bit insightful :)

Comments

• Man, that makes Unity's animation handling (at least, pre-4) look so gimpy. :P
  • Wow, that looks hectic. Can't really comment on such deep 3D dev myself, but it's really looking good! Is it actually based on chess, like Battle Chess?
  • edited
    @Elyaradine: Heh, never dabbled in Unity, so I can't compare. But animation code and handling has been one of the biggest time consumers on RK so far.

@Tuism: RK is like deathmatch arena game now, with one of the game-modes being Chess (and another is a variant where you get an opportunity to fight the attacker in real-time).

Weirdly, the actual 3d content creation (character meshes, environment meshes) was pretty quick. But animation coding and the actual combat system has been a long and torturous process. :\
  • SEEEXY as hell! @ShadowBlade is it just you and your brothers working on RK? I've been following your work for a few months now. Just hovering around the blogs every now and then. Excellent work none the less.
  • @Landman: Thanks :D And, yeah, just us three bro's :) It works a bit like this on RK:

Nolan: Most of the coding, character modeling, concept art, FX.
    Me: Animations, texturing, environment models, sound, music, level design, FX.
    Logan: Mostly UI code and some smaller code jobs.

I really need to make an effort to update our blog more regularly. Seems like there is an endless amount of work to be done all the time :P
  • I've been interested in RK because I've been working on a Medieval Hack 'n Slash Multiplayer game. It's purely deathmatch though. You login, join a lobby room, start a game and slash away. The thing that really got my attention with RK is the quality of artwork and the Genre.
  • Thank you :)

So how goes your game?
  • I've been interested in RK because I've been working on a Medieval Hack 'n Slash Multiplayer game. It's purely deathmatch though. You login, join a lobby room, start a game and slash away.
    That sounds a lot like an really old game called Rune. :) Wasted a good few hours playing that on the Luma LAN. :P
    Thanked by 2Tuism Nandrew
  • Rune was AWESOME I LOVED it so much, running around with massive sword helicoptering everything RAAWWR
    Thanked by 2Nandrew Landman